Yahoo Writer Has O's Picking T.Beckham

Smoak is not nearly on Wieters' level.

He may have a similar offensive upside as Wieters, but Wieters will be doing it behind the plate, Smoak will be at first base. Wieters is/was also a far safer bet to reach his upside.

I'd love to have him at #4, but he wouldn't be the coup that getting Wieters was (Alvarez might be, though, if he falls).

I'm not taking their defensive positions into account, really. Smoak is a switch hitter too, which has to account for something.

If you want to talk defense, he's apparently good with the glove as well...he's "near ready".

It's not like first base isn't a need for us, or positional talent in our minors isn't a need, either. Smoak could be that "best available", "fills a need" and "near ready" all wrapped up in one pick.

Picking him, it's possible that he starts at 1b next year and Wieters is our catcher.

I'm not taking their defensive positions into account, really. Smoak is a switch hitter too, which has to account for something.

If you want to talk defense, he's apparently good with the glove as well...he's "near ready".

It's not like first base isn't a need for us, or positional talent in our minors isn't a need, either. Smoak could be that "best available", "fills a need" and "near ready" all wrapped up in one pick.

Picking him, it's possible that he starts at 1b next year and Wieters is our catcher.

Don't take that as me not liking Smoak. I really like him. I'd only take Alvarez and TBeckham in front of him. I'd be thrilled if we got him at #4.

He's just not as premium of a prospect at Wieters, mainly because of position, but also I think because Wieters was and is regarded as such a sure thing. Smoak is a very safe bet, but not nearly as much as Wieters was.

Smoak will likely have a good bat for a 1B and plays good defense at a pretty unimportant defensive position. Wieters has a great bat for a C and play good defense at a premium (possibly most important) defensive position.

I also think it'd be a stretch to think he could start for us on OD at 1B next year, but certainly by the end of '09 is possible.

Don't waste the fourth pick on some damn high school kid who w/take 5 years to get up here-if he ever does. Total stupidity.

I disagree. HS shortstops drafted in the top 6 of the first round since 1990 include Chipper Jones, Dmitri Young (hard to imagine him at SS), Derek Jeter, A-Rod, BJ Upton, & Justin Upton. In 1992 we selected Jeffrey Hammonds 2 spots ahead of the Yankees taking Jeter.

Take the best player!

Don't take that as me not liking Smoak. I really like him. I'd only take Alvarez and TBeckham in front of him. I'd be thrilled if we got him at #4.

He's just not as premium of a prospect at Wieters, mainly because of position, but also I think because Wieters was and is regarded as such a sure thing. Smoak is a very safe bet, but not nearly as much as Wieters was.

Smoak will likely have a good bat for a 1B and plays good defense at a pretty unimportant defensive position. Wieters has a great bat for a C and play good defense at a premium (possibly most important) defensive position.

I also think it'd be a stretch to think he could start for us on OD at 1B next year, but certainly by the end of '09 is possible.

Yeah, I'd definitely take Alvarez before him, too. Not sure about TBeckham though.

I disagree. HS shortstops drafted in the top 6 of the first round since 1990 include Chipper Jones, Dmitri Young (hard to imagine him at SS), Derek Jeter, A-Rod, BJ Upton, & Justin Upton. In 1992 we selected Jeffrey Hammonds 2 spots ahead of the Yankees taking Jeter.

Take the best player!

To be fair, that "top 6 HS SS" list also includes:

Josh Booty (#5 '94)

Corey Myers (#4 '99)

Luis Montanez (#3 '00)

Matt Bush (#1 '04)

Still a pretty good success rate (60%) and of the successes, there are some truly elite talents, at least 3 of those guys are going to the HOF.

I get and agree with what you're saying but I do think defense at 1B is extremely underrated.

Simplistic maybe. Certainly there are no sure things. But who has the better chance of coming up here and making a major difference sometime during this century, some 18 year-old kid or a 22 year-old star from a Division I program? This is the fourth pick in the draft; use it for the nearest thing to a sure thing that you can find.The Orioles cannot afford to draft another flop at number one.

Archived