Yahoo Writer Has O's Picking T.Beckham

Don't waste the fourth pick on some damn high school kid who w/take 5 years to get up here-if he ever does. Total stupidity.

I don't agree with the simplistic and caustic style of your post, but I agree with the message, aside from the total stupidity part.

You look at...Snyder, Rowell, Wieters. Based on our lack of success with HSers, it's kind of obvious as to which direction.

And before someone jumps all over me for putting Rowell down, I'm not. I'm simply pointing out that he's not exactly tearing it up like Wieters is. And I realize there's an age difference there, but I'd prefer not to have to do much guess work and go with someone who's on a Wieters level. Smoak is.

I don't agree with the simplistic and caustic style of your post, but I agree with the message, aside from the total stupidity part.

You look at...Snyder, Rowell, Wieters. Based on our lack of success with HSers, it's kind of obvious as to which direction.

And before someone jumps all over me for putting Rowell down, I'm not. I'm simply pointing out that he's not exactly tearing it up like Wieters is. And I realize there's an age difference there, but I'd prefer not to have to do much guess work and go with someone who's on a Wieters level. Smoak is.

Other teams feeling this way is the only way Beckham falls to #4 in the first place. Where do we draw the line? If we were picking 5th or 6th would it be easier to take the HSer? I think we have to rely on scouting on this one.

I do agree that a Hser should have to show seriously Uber-Prospect tools and production against good talent to warrant selection this high over very productive college players. According to many scouting reports that I have read posted here, this kid qualifies.

Somebody remind me what college Cal Ripken, Jr. attended. I know full well he wasn't a first round choice, but he ended up quite well despite having no college experience. Juston Upton was drafted out of high school in 2005 and made the majors in 2007, so there are exceptions to the rule. The key should be to take the best player, regardless of position.

FWIW, the subject of this topic is at least the second writer that has the O's selecting Beckham

Joe Mauer

Prince Fielder

Clayton Kershaw

Jay Bruce

and on and on and on....

Believe me both Beckham and Hosmer are among the very best and surest picks in this draft. I've seen them both play. To make a blanket statement that high school picks are stupid reflects a good deal of ignorance. Just because Rowell and Snyder haven't panned out shouldn't deter us from high schoolers...

Somebody remind me what college Cal Ripken, Jr. attended. I know full well he wasn't a first round choice, but he ended up quite well despite having no college experience. Juston Upton was drafted out of high school in 2005 and made the majors in 2007, so there are exceptions to the rule. The key should be to take the best player, regardless of position.

FWIW, the subject of this topic is at least the second writer that has the O's selecting Beckham

Joe Mauer

Prince Fielder

Clayton Kershaw

Jay Bruce

and on and on and on....

Believe me both Beckham and Hosmer are among the very best and surest picks in this draft. I've seen them both play. To make a blanket statement that high school picks are stupid reflects a good deal of ignorance. Just because Rowell and Snyder haven't panned out shouldn't deter us from high schoolers...

I'm not saying high schoolers don't pan out, I'm saying the O's haven't had the best amount of luck in picking them in recent past. That makes me a bit wary of any HSer we take with the first pick.

I like Beckham and would be happy with him, I just like Smoak more. Or if we could somehow get Beckham and then Dykstra, that'd be great.

I'm not saying high schoolers don't pan out, I'm saying the O's haven't had the best amount of luck in picking them in recent past. That makes me a bit wary of any HSer we take with the first pick.
I'd appreciate your concern a bit more if the same guy that had made those picks is the one making the pick this week.

Don't waste the fourth pick on some damn high school kid who w/take 5 years to get up here-if he ever does. Total stupidity.
This is a ridiculous opinion.

However, I don't think Tim Beckham will be there at #4, and we'll go with one of Smoak, Matusz, or Gordon Beckham (my preference in that order).

Smoak is not nearly on Wieters' level.

He may have a similar offensive upside as Wieters, but Wieters will be doing it behind the plate, Smoak will be at first base. Wieters is/was also a far safer bet to reach his upside.

I'd love to have him at #4, but he wouldn't be the coup that getting Wieters was (Alvarez might be, though, if he falls).

A more recent example is Jay Bruce -- he looks like he's turned out okay.

Joe Mauer

Prince Fielder

Clayton Kershaw

Jay Bruce

and on and on and on....

Good point. :) It is silly to base this decision on just how former O's picks have performed. I'd rather have someone who'll be ready to play within 2 years, but if there's a significant difference in talent, then you go with Tim Beckham. But I wouldn't be upset with Gordon Beckham... or Smoak... or Hosmer. So, there are 2 Dykstras as well as 2 Beckhams. Are any of them related?

Tim Beckham will be the first high schooler chosen in this draft. The first high schooler chosen, by year:

2007 Mike Moustakas

2006 Clayton Kershaw

2005 Justin Upton

2004 Matt Bush (signability pick)

2003 Delmon Young

2002 BJ Upton

2001 Joe Mauer

I'll take those chances.

Archived