The Orioles Offense

Uli2001

It's the biggest mystery of this season. Nothing that I have seen pitching-wise has surprised me, even the bullpen struggles, once Britton was out of course. The defense is not the same as it once was, but that was a high bar that they had set. Okay, I can understand that.

But what to make of this offense. They do not produce runs. When they hit HRs, they are solo. They are now third-to-last in the AL in runs scored, ahead only of last-place KC and Oakland. Is it possible that the entire lineup is having a career-bad season?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's hard to score runs when your team is:

a) 13th in the AL in Walks and 12th in OBP (nobody on base)

b) 2nd to last in MLB in baserunning value (trouble manufacturing runs due to lack of team speed)

c) Only 6th in the AL in HRs (offense is not making up for lack of baserunners by hitting HRs)

d) Your two best offensive players (Machado and Davis) are hitting under .230 and your third and fourth best offensive players (Jones and Trumbo) have an OPS in the .710s

56 minutes ago, TINSTAAPP said:

It's hard to score runs when your team is:

a) 13th in the AL in Walks and 12th in OBP (nobody on base)

b) 2nd to last in MLB in baserunning value (trouble manufacturing runs due to lack of team speed)

c) Only 6th in the AL in HRs (offense is not making up for lack of baserunners by hitting HRs)

d) Your two best offensive players (Machado and Davis) are hitting under .230 and your third and fourth best offensive players (Jones and Trumbo) have an OPS in the .710s

Trumbo had a bad April. The last 28 days he's 

.309 .362 .495 .857

Davis through 5/21

.248 .358 .483 .841

It's just a slump.   About two weeks ago the O's were averaging 4.72 runs/game and were 4th or 5th in runs/game.     Now they've hit the skids a bit and their average is at 4.41, 11th in the league.    Eventually they'll get hot and things will swing the other way.   

The last 14 games you have Manny with a .560 OPS, Smith at .479 and Davis at .441.     

34 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It's just a slump.   About two weeks ago the O's were averaging 4.72 runs/game and were 4th or 5th in runs/game.     Now they've hit the skids a bit and their average is at 4.41, 11th in the league.    Eventually they'll get hot and things will swing the other way.   

The last 14 games you have Manny with a .560 OPS, Smith at .479 and Davis at .441.     

Is it just a slump, or is the more recent trend closer to their norm? The lack of walks and low OBP is glaring. Some of this can be masked by homerun power and instant offense, but when that's not happening it's easy to see why this lineup struggles to score runs.

Another concern for me is the Orioles success with RISP. They're been at or near the very top of the league all season thus far. Those numbers are bound to normalize as the season progresses, and with it the scoring shall decrease.

Even if the team gets hot and hits more homeruns as the weather warms, I question whether it will be enough to overcome the inevitable drop in success with RISP.

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

In 2016 the teams lowest OPS, by month, was in July(664).  I seem to remember it being hot in Maryland in July.

By month OPS (2016)

Right, there's no particular pattern there.    Teams have their random ups and downs.  

Archived