When do the O's fish or cut bait with Duquette and Showalter?

Frobby

26 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think the Royals out scouted the Orioles.

I think they were hot at the right time.   Let's not forget that they also swept the Angels, who won the most games in the AL that year.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I think they were hot at the right time.   Let's not forget that they also swept the Angels, who won the most games in the AL that year.

I stand by my statement.  They had better defensive alignments and better approaches to our pitching.  You think it is a coincidence that an aggressive team like the Royals starts laying off Britton's sinker?  Their advance scouts killed it in those two postseasons.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I stand by my statement.  They had better defensive alignments and better approaches to our pitching.  You think it is a coincidence that an aggressive team like the Royals starts laying off Britton's sinker?  Their advance scouts killed it in those two postseasons.

First of all, let me say that I saw almost none of the 2014 ALCS, because (fortunately, in hindsight) I was traveling during that period, including an overseas trip.     So I'm in no position to argue little details with you or anyone else who watched the whole thing.

That said, your specific example seems a bit dubious to me.   Everyone knows that Britton throws 90% sinkers and that a lot of times they break out of the strike zone.    That wasn't news to anyone by October 2014.    But laying off them simply isn't that easy most of the time, no matter what an advance scout might say. If it was that easy, Britton would have been far less effective in 2015 and 2016 after everyone saw what the Royals did.   Fact is, Britton simply didn't pitch that well.   

17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

First of all, let me say that I saw almost none of the 2014 ALCS, because (fortunately, in hindsight) I was traveling during that period, including an overseas trip.     So I'm in no position to argue little details with you or anyone else who watched the whole thing.

That said, your specific example seems a bit dubious to me.   Everyone knows that Britton throws 90% sinkers and that a lot of times they break out of the strike zone.    That wasn't news to anyone by October 2014.    But laying off them simply isn't that easy most of the time, no matter what an advance scout might say. If it was that easy, Britton would have been far less effective in 2015 and 2016 after everyone saw what the Royals did.   Fact is, Britton simply didn't pitch that well.   

Did you watch the 2015 playoffs?

They did the same thing.

Both years their team was better prepared than the opposition.   You dismiss my example of them being patient against Britton, you are of course aware that the 2014 Royals team ranked dead last in walks right?  They had 382, the next lowest team had 424.  And yet suddenly they are the 2003 Yankees against Britton.  My guess is that the scouts knew the HP Ump didn't call the low strike zone.   

Believe what you want, even if you didn't watch the games. 

I'll believe that in the 2014-2015 playoffs the Royals' had an edge in scouting.  They had better information to gameplan with.  Their pitchers and hitters had better gameplans and their defense was better arrayed.

2 hours ago, eddie83 said:

I will say this. If the organization decides to change direction with the team it isn't a crazy idea to let DD go and allow Brady -if he is indeed the guy- to take over sooner than later.  

I would rather have Gary Rajsich take over than Brady. Rajsich has done a fantastic job with what he's had to work with. 

5 hours ago, TINSTAAPP said:

I would rather have Gary Rajsich take over than Brady. Rajsich has done a fantastic job with what he's had to work with. 

Brady is the guy.  He's PA's boy.  Seems like it is a power struggle.  Buck v. DD v. Brady/PA

Brady would probably want to bring in his own people.  As long as Buck is around that isn't going to happen.  But I bet Brady would give a look at Palmeiro as hitting coach.  

Archived