How has Gausman gotten this screwed up?

Frobby

Of all the disappointments this so far year -- and there have been many -- to me, Kevin Gausman is by far the biggest.    There doesn't seem to be anything physically wrong with him, and he should be building on his very solid 2016, and suddenly, he can't get anybody out.     And today -- talk about coming up small on a day when the team really needed him!

So what the hell has happened to this guy?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only major change between this year and the previous four years is the pitching coach... Well, the starting catcher is different too but Gausman has been just as awful with Joseph behind the plate as he has been with Castillo. 

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

At this point I'd see what we could get for him.  Sure, it's selling low but there's still some upside there.  Arrieta situation. 

That is the last thing you do. He has very little if any value so you are just giving hm away.  If we had an option as another starter i may think about the bullpen for a bit to see if that helps.  

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Well he's not gonna turn into Arrieta here.

Arrieta wasn't gonna turn into Arrieta here, either.  Might as well see what we can get.

Why trade him? He is cheap and under control for 3 years with his value down. 

Just leave him out there. As bad as he's been he's still the 3rd best starter we have right now. I don't see anybody in the minors banging the door down right now so what's the point of trading him or taking him out of the rotation? Sad but true. 

25 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

At this point I'd see what we could get for him.  Sure, it's selling low but there's still some upside there.  Arrieta situation. 

Speaking of Arrieta, I watched him pitch the 5th inning of today's Cubs-Rockies game.  It was deja vu all over again.  Apparently he had been cruising, then in the 5th he gave up a lead off double followed by a walk, a HBP, another walk, a generous called strikeout of Cargo, and an RBI single to Mark Reynolds.  At that point Maddon had seen enough and pulled him,.  I think people focus on the magic of pitching coaches because noone has a coherent clue of how to make a good pitcher other than be left handed, throw in the upper 90's, and throw sharp breaking pitches for strikes.  My cynical view is that most pitch related coaching at this level is more or less summarized as "trust your stuff kid".

That said, I have no idea how to fix Gausman :D

Besides Machado he's probably been the biggest disappointment this season to me. I have no clue how to fix his lost confidence and control either. At this point he has no value to trade him, so there is really no point in doing that.

Gausman has ZERO command and no 3rd pitch.  He's never ahead in the count so his change up/splitter is not a factor.  

They showed him a couple of starts ago trying grips with Bundy in the dugout.  That's good that he is asking the other pitchers, but shouldn't Mcdowell be helping more?  Scotty Mcgregor was the one that fixed Miley.  

I think this is where Buck's stubbornness is getting us.  Wallace retired and wanted less hours.  That happens he's old.  Why did we play games with Dom Chiti?  We should have made him the pitching coach and let him bring in his own bullpen guy.  They pissed Chiti off by not offering him the job and then told him he had to take Mills.  

Mcdowell is not a very good Pitching Coach.  Atlanta fired him as manager to get him away from their young pitchers.  Mills is Mills.  It's hard to evaluate him.  I do know this,

Wallace & Chiti >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Mcdowell & Mills

Archived