Rosenthal: Orioles Uequivocally Plan to be Buyers

Can_of_corn

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/20/2017 at 7:01 PM, Can_of_corn said:

Everything they did (unlike the Red Sox) was fully within the rules.  Plenty of teams whose revenues do not dwarf the O's outspend them in the international market.  It is more about the O's than it is the Yankees.

Here's the thing. Everyone compares the size of teams' MLB payrolls, mostly because that information is publicly available. Relative to their revenues, the Orioles spend a lot on payroll. Relative to anything, they spend very little on the international market. That reflects a unique and poor set of decisions by an ignorant and/or irrational person or group of persons -- unless you conclude, as I have, that the decision-maker's goal has been, and remains, producing immediate on-field results, with little concern for the team's performance more than a few years into the future. (And I don't have a problem with a decision-maker having that objective for a short time; when you maintain a preoccupation with the short-term for 15 or 20 years, you can create a real mess.)

But as everyone -- well, maybe not quite everyone -- knows, there are other ways to spend money that further the effort to build a winning team. Those ways don't show up in the payroll figures. For the most part, they don't immediately put talent on the field, but build an infrastructure that will produce that talent later (and, so far, do not count toward the threshold for the luxury tax). The amounts that teams spend on most of that stuff isn't publicly available. My guess is that the amounts spent each year by the NYYs and the Dodgers on finding, signing and developing players (including their ML payrolls) is twice the Orioles' annual spend. 

It's all within the rules. In fact, the rules encourage spending outside ML salaries. But the rules -- unlike those in other major U.S. sports -- continue to confer an enormous advantage to teams whose markets enable them to generate larger revenues. 

Just a layman's perspective here, but it's very confusing when you respond to a thread that's been dormant for three weeks. Because the headline is the first thing I see and the reality is it's old news at this point. I would much prefer it if you started a new thread with a a less misleading title. Just my 2 cents...

I don't know if Duq is delusional or just putting on a GMBS front, but the O's are NOT playoff contenders.  They have a -78 run differential - dead last in the AL East and 2nd to last in the entire AL - just 10 better than Oakland.  They're a bad team and very lucky to just be 4 games under .500.  How Duquette expected the O's pitching staff to be adequate is beyond me.  He went into the season with a poor 5 man group and absolutely no depth.  

8 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

I don't know if Duq is delusional or just putting on a GMBS front, but the O's are NOT playoff contenders.  They have a -78 run differential - dead last in the AL East and 2nd to last in the entire AL - just 10 better than Oakland.  They're a bad team and very lucky to just be 4 games under .500.  How Duquette expected the O's pitching staff to be adequate is beyond me.  He went into the season with a poor 5 man group and absolutely no depth.  

The Jays are in last place not the Os. 

I've been reading what national baseball writers have been saying about the O's - and it's universal that they think the O's are NUTS to think they should be buyers.  I prefer the word delusional, but nuts will do.  But it's clear that O's managment is over-rating the MLB talent level of the O's roster.  

4 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Just a layman's perspective here, but it's very confusing when you respond to a thread that's been dormant for three weeks. Because the headline is the first thing I see and the reality is it's old news at this point. I would much prefer it if you started a new thread with a a less misleading title. Just my 2 cents...

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2017/07/orioles-still-in-buyers-mode-for-now.html

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

YESSSS!!!!!!!!  Give us Dee Gordon and Volquez on salary dumps.  

Not to rain on the edinson volquez parade but his has a WHIP of 1.42 with BB/9 of 5.2 and K/9 of 7.9 

For comparison Ubaldo Jimenez -- WHIP of 1.51 BB/9 of 4.9 and K/9 of 7.7 

Hard Pass.

Just now, Lucky_13 said:

Not to rain on the edinson volquez parade but his has a WHIP of 1.42 with BB/9 of 5.2 and K/9 of 7.9 

For comparison Ubaldo Jimenez -- WHIP of 1.51 BB/9 of 4.9 and K/9 of 7.7 

Hard Pass.

Yeah, Ubaldo's our third best SP.  What's your point?

Archived