Its decision time for the future

wildcard

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, MDK02 said:

What a disaster of a season. The worst part is, our ownership won't sell no matter what it seems. 

THIS!!!

Davis, Mancini, Schoop, and Bundy - Congrats you are all safe, all others - sorry lets move on... (especially Manny if you are not going to extend him)

We are a one dimensional team with horrible starting pitching and a bad bullpen.  This team is going to go no where this season, lets get some younger guys in here and with a better approach to the game. 

10 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

I think Schoop, Mancini, and Bundy are the guys you build around. Everyone else you put on the block. I'd keep Jones because you need a veteran guy to lead what will  be a young team. Buck can stay if he wants. 

Jones will not want to be here for a "rebuild".  He will not be happy with guys like Manny, Schoop, etc. being traded for prospects. He will gripe about it but unfortunately this is what the team needs to do to improve long term whereas Jones wants to win now.

10 minutes ago, Mayor McCheese said:

Jones will not want to be here for a "rebuild".  He will not be happy with guys like Manny, Schoop, etc. being traded for prospects. He will gripe about it but unfortunately this is what the team needs to do to improve long term whereas Jones wants to win now.

I think that depends on how long the rebuild lasts. I think they could be competitive again in two years if they do it right. They have some good position prospects that are a year or two away. If they use machado and britton to get some young pitching. Then clear salaries of the other free agents and maybe Trumbo. They could use the money to supplement the young guys and be set up nicely for the long term. 

31 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

So we put Kim in RF? That doesn't sound smart. 

Probably LF with Trumbo, Mancini or Rickard. It doesn't matter because the premise of the question is that the season is lost. I guess if you want to start Yaz's clock I wouldn't be opposed.

33 minutes ago, Mayor McCheese said:

THIS!!!

Davis, Mancini, Schoop, and Bundy - Congrats you are all safe, all others - sorry lets move on... (especially Manny if you are not going to extend him)

We are a one dimensional team with horrible starting pitching and a bad bullpen.  This team is going to go no where this season, lets get some younger guys in here and with a better approach to the game. 

We're a decent offensive team with great infield defense, horrible SP and an injured bullpen.

Trade Britton, Brach, Castillo, Smith and Manny. Let's be honest, this club isn't extending Manny. He's going to cost too much...and the Orioles have screwed the farm system repeatedly by trading away draft picks and losing them by signing players like Ubaldo and Gallardo.

Keep Schoop, Mancini, Bundy.

Fire McDowell. Yesterday. 

Extend Buck.

Duquette can go kick rocks.

3 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

We're a decent offensive team with great infield defense, horrible SP and an injured bullpen.

The Orioles are 21st out of 30 in R/G at 4.5, 25th in OBP (.311), 13th in SLG (.430), 15th in AVG (.255). 30th in SB (16), 19th in OPS+ (96). 

I'd say we're a below average offensive team. Not awful, but I wouldn't categorize them as decent. 

The SP is horrible. The bullpen may be injured (Britton, O'Day), but all of the others that were supposed strengths (see: Hart) have been poor. Pretty much every reliever short of Givens has been bad this year. 

The defense is poor. 

Put it all together and this club is just bad. There's very little upside with the team aside from a strengthening of the bullpen if Britton and O'Day come back and are healthy. But they don't fix the starting pitching. And they don't fix a homer or bust offense. And they don't fix the defense.

1 hour ago, Sessh said:

This is half assed. It's half rebuiild and half going for it. If this team is going to rebuild, it has to be ALL the way in and that means all players must be available. That doesn't mean everyone is traded, but the goal is to get the best deal for any and everyone you can get that type of deal for. Everyone must be available and offers must be listened to. The system is so bad that a strategy like this will only lead to a longer period of losing. It has to be all in or none in. None of this "line straddling" stuff. Go out and get all the best prospects you can get, spend the next few years figuring out what you've got and THEN decide which of them to build around which likely would open new trade options. This team needs to tear it all down and start over and that includes the two people most responsible (aside from the old geezer) for this mess; Duquette and Showalter. I really wish people would get off Buck's nuts around here. He is JUST AS RESPONSIBLE for this as Duquette is, period.

There is no half-assed in Binary World.  Only full-assed and no-assed.  I can't figure out which this is an argument for, but if the Orioles are going to throw out all business considerations for years just so that they can figure out what they have, I'm going to guess full-assed.

Just now, Roy Firestone said:

The level of panic and desperation on this thread is remarkable. Trade BOTH Gausman AND Bundy?.Move Britton and Manny now.?.The fan base would leave this team fast if they did all that. I don't think a complete rebuild is necessary...theres money coming off the books and some very interesting prospects on their way up. This team could be fixed or vastly improved without a drastic overhaul.

Please tell us about all the pitching prospects we have coming up.

Heck, you were just on the radio last week lauding Chris Lee, who is sporting a > 6.00 ERA in AAA.

1 hour ago, Mayor McCheese said:

That's  an issue for the off season.

7 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

The level of panic and desperation on this thread is remarkable. Trade BOTH Gausman AND Bundy?.Move Britton and Manny now.?.The fan base would leave this team fast if they did all that. I don't think a complete rebuild is necessary...theres money coming off the books and some very interesting prospects on their way up. This team could be fixed or vastly improved without a drastic overhaul.

I would not trade Bundy or Gausman.   But if Britton and Manny can't be extended or afforded they have to be trade before FA when they walk for nothing.   

I agree that there are players to build around.   I agree that there is enough payroll room to reload. But the rest of the year looks bleak.  And players that will not be back should be traded if they have enough value to bring back somethng positive.

10 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I would not trade Bundy or Gausman.   But if Britton and Manny can't be extended or afforded they have to be trade before FA when they walk for nothing.   

I agree that there are players to build around.   I agree that there is enough payroll room to reload. But the rest of the year looks bleak.  And players that will not be back should be traded if they have enough value to bring back somethng positive.

I'd trade Gausman in a New York minute. Hold on to Bundy.

3 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

I'd trade Gausman in a New York minute. Hold on to Bundy.

Trade him an he turns into Arrieta for someone else.  He has ability.  The O's need to find a pitching coach that can get Gausman to pitch like he did in the 2nd half of 2016. 

Archived