Zac Lowther

glenn__davis

20 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Here’s an excellent piece on Lowther today from Steve Melewski, with lengthy quotes from Ryan Minor and Blaine Beatty about Lowther.   http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2018/08/a-look-at-zac-lowther-the-os-minor-league-era-leader.html

It was a good piece.  I'm all for a guy who's confident with his stuff and getting batters out with good command.  I would like to see him promoted to AA for the rest of the season.

Also liked this particular comment:

It’s exciting to see young guys doing well but then I remember this is the Baltimore Orioles organization and at some point someone is going to try to clean up his delivery, move his positioning on the mound, make him quicker to the plate and we will all be wondering what happened to lowther and the latest group of strong pitching prospects.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Ruzious said:

We really do need to see if his stuff works in AA.  I feel like the O's have gone slower than they should have in pushing him up the ladder.  

We will see if his stuff works in AA next year.    He’s going to start the year there regardless of whether he gets 4 starts there now.   

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

We will see if his stuff works in AA next year.    He’s going to start the year there regardless of whether he gets 4 starts there now.   

I wonder: if he keeps doing this at AA next year, how quickly they'll push him to AAA and then Baltimore.  If he keeps dominating, I'd hope he'll get a September call-up next season.

2 hours ago, joelala said:

I wonder: if he keeps doing this at AA next year, how quickly they'll push him to AAA and then Baltimore.  If he keeps dominating, I'd hope he'll get a September call-up next season.

Depends how dominant he is, I guess.    They didn’t jump Akin to AAA though he’s had an ERA under 3.00 much of the season and K/9 over 9 most of the time.    

20 minutes ago, Sydnor said:

Fangraphs has a nice article on Lowther up:

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/orioles-pitching-prospect-zac-lowther-has-vexing-funk/

While not particularly illuminating, it’s nice to see a prospect get some positive press and has a few quotes from Lowther.

The most interesting thing I picked up was that he considers his CH his 2nd best pitch, I wouldn’t have guessed it, he doesn’t throw it much at all and doesn’t always locate it.

It was also cool to see him describe his arm action almost identically to how I described it in the offseason.

my quote

“quick, whippy arm action from a low ¾ arm slot. It looks a little violent at first glance but he puts himself in good position by the time his front foot plants”

his quote

“I’m very quick with my arm,” explained the lefty. “My angle is low three-quarters, and the way my arm comes through… it’s a whippy motion. There’s a lot of external torque going back, and then I also have good extension, a really long stride. My arm gets way out in front of my body, and I release it from there.”

• Upvote 4