Should we buy or sell?

25 Nuggets

Deadline approach?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Deadline approach?

This poll is closed to new votes

2 hours ago, Going Underground said:

Also if the Orioles win the next five they would probably be the second WC. Twins would lose  and Rays would lose all the games to the Red Sox and Royals lose to the Dodgers.. i don't see it happening but if it does the Orioles are not selling.

But odds are that they win two of the next five, at best.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No surprise here.  We've all been saying sell for at least a month now.  It's just to what degree.  Me, I'd keep everyone but Machado, Smith, and Kim.  Smith and Kim I'd get whatever I could get, and I'd be looking to restock the farm system with trading Manny.  With some smart roster management, I believe they could compete next year.

Of course that means nothing.  We'll see what PGA, DD, and Buck decide over the next 3-1/2 weeks.

There is one team that needs a first baseman very bad right now but do you sell to the devil.  The Yanks have went around the merry go-round a couple times looking for a first baseman.  They just signed a guy that has hit .160 in his major league career.    Would they be interested in Trumbo or even more would Mancini get their attention.  That is the one team that has a glut of near ready prospects at the middle infield.  We know they Orioles won't make the deal but that is the one place you could move Mancini and get a young SS.

1 hour ago, Ripken said:

I've been begging for a sell three seasons in a row.  Everyone, including Manny and Britton, out for as much young talent, especially starters, as possible.

You missed some enjoyable seasons, especially last year.    No team would have sold under those circumstances.    

I think Seth Smith makes sense with the Nats. Werth has had issues staying healthy and if they would be willing to play Harper in CF he could be a nice fit for them. Of course as Dan Connolly pointed out today about a deal with Britton can these two teams make a deal with the issues between them.  

I just don't see the O's and Nat's as trading partners.  As much as the pieces may fit, their is way too much acrimony with the lawsuit, etc.  Plus, I think PGA would rather see a rival AL East team win than see the Nats win.  I just can't see him wanting to make them better and better their chance to win a WS.

8 minutes ago, esmd said:

I just don't see the O's and Nat's as trading partners.  As much as the pieces may fit, their is way too much acrimony with the lawsuit, etc.  Plus, I think PGA would rather see a rival AL East team win than see the Nats win.  I just can't see him wanting to make them better and better their chance to win a WS.

You may be right, but that's just a terrible way to run a team.     We have something they badly need, and they have the type of prospects we'd like to have.    To rule them out as a trade partner is nuts.   

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I don't see what the attitude of the announcers or team-paid bloggers has to do with the team's decisions whether to reshape this team to some degree.      No matter what Hunter, Bordick or Roch say or do, fans won't be very interested in a losing team.    So, management has to decide the best way to get back to winning, whether that's buying now to try to eke a few more wins out of this team, standing pat and hoping the team plays better, or doing some selling to try to win more in the future.    Nothing the announcers or bloggers say will change the reality of those choices.  

i just meant that the narrative portrayed by MASN is one of the Orioles are going to be buyers. The MASN media folks are spinning it that the Orioles need to be buyers. Britton and Davis are coming back and the Orioles are close to a WC. If they keep grinding they will turn things around..

We're 8.5 out, our pitchers have given up 445 runs, which is more than any other team except Oakland and Cincinnati. The offense is inconsistent, and the injuries are piling up, exposing our lack of depth at the major and minor levels.  We have to sell.  My guess is that it won't be a fire sale, that it will be framed in a "re-tooling" scenario, where Smith, Kim, and Britton likely get dealt at or near the deadline.  If that isn't enough to put a competitive team on the field next year, then maybe - maybe - Manny goes in the offseason.  We'll see....

Archived