TT: ORIOLES UNEQUIVOCALLY NEED TO BE SELLERS!

Tony-OH

6 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

DD can't be bothered to make a deal now, that would take work and he's the laziest GM in baseball.... he'll let all the major pieces move around and then pick from the trash heap

The O's won't sell, they will get a comp pick for Manny and Britton after having another sub .500 season in 2018.

That's just not true and the fact that he picks up so many guys off waivers (trash heap) and is moving his international draft slots that ownership won't let him use for at least something shows that he's not lazy at all. You can evaluate his level of effectiveness all your want by whatever standard you want, but lazy he's not.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

That's just not true and the fact that he picks up so many guys off waivers (trash heap) and is moving his international draft slots that ownership won't let him use for at least something shows that he's not lazy at all. You can evaluate his level of effectiveness all your want by whatever standard you want, but lazy he's not.

Agreed. The Orioles also make a TON of roster moves during the season. I suspect they have led the league in number of roster moves during most of DD's tenure. The guy is constantly making moves. 

9 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I disagree, waiver pickups, selling international slots... takes very little work/creativity

Offering a contract to just about every arb eligible player for the past 5 years shows a lack of effort to really decide who is worth keeping and who should be traded. (How much money was wasted on  B. Matusz?)

Failing to extend any pre-arb, pre FA players shows a lack of effort/results.

Claiming every year that you will improve OBP, outfield defense, and starting pitching and doing nothing shows a lack of effort/results.

Keeping together an aging core by awarding lifetime achievement award contracts to players past their prime and/or coming off never to be repeated career years show a lack of effort/creativity.

Putting together blockbuster multiplayer, multi-tieam trades where you deal from strength and improve a weakness, occasionally winning a trade, occasionally trading a soon to be FA instead of waiting for a comp pick would show me some work/creativity.

1 hour ago, ChuckS said:

Lol. That's not what he said at all. 

Regardless, this is all speculation. We'll see what happens. 

What do you mean "LOL"

i said a good prospect, and he said an organizations 10-12 prospect. In a good farm system a 10-12 prospect should be a good prospect. 

You don't have to be a jerk!

If: 1 ) You believe PA will even consider a sell off

2) this is what we can expect from our rotation going forward

Kevin Gausman – 5.81
Ubaldo Jimenez – 6.68
Dylan Bundy – 7.76
Wade Miley – 9.69
Chris Tillman – 9.69

3)You can get a haul like the ones mentioned, from the MFY and BOS 

Then by all means sell but I'm not sure about 2) and 3) and I'm certain 1) isn't happening.

2 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

I disagree, waiver pickups, selling international slots... takes very little work/creativity

Offering a contract to just about every arb eligible player for the past 5 years shows a lack of effort to really decide who is worth keeping and who should be traded. (How much money was wasted on  B. Matusz?)

Failing to extend any pre-arb, pre FA players shows a lack of effort/results.

Claiming every year that you will improve OBP, outfield defense, and starting pitching and doing nothing shows a lack of effort/results.

Keeping together an aging core by awarding lifetime achievement award contracts to players past their prime and/or coming off never to be repeated career years show a lack of effort/creativity.

Putting together blockbuster multiplayer, multi-tieam trades where you deal from strength and improve a weakness, occasionally winning a trade, occasionally trading a soon to be FA instead of waiting for a comp pick would show me some work/creativity.

None of this shows that he's lazy. It shows he's operating in a manner you disapprove of. Big difference. 

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

I don't think he's lazy. I think there was a reason he was out of baseball so  long. 

Yes, there was. And he removed every trace of that taint over the last five seasons. Every trace. 

Really comes down to the owner. It sounds like the FO is willing to listen. Britton is the biggest chip for me. Any contender would have him for 2 years. I don't see many fits for Manny. Yankees have a big hole at 3rd and so does Boston buy both are probably more concerned with their pitching.  

I also think Seth Smith would be valuable to a contender. I think the Nats make sense as I have said earlier. Don't laugh but Miley is someone if he pitches well could he dealt in late August, not that you would get much back  

On 7/13/2017 at 6:40 PM, Frobby said:

Let's not pretend that most deadline deals don't happen close to the deadline.     I just looked at last year's deals.    I see one deal on July 14, one on July 20, and everything else (12 deals) on July 25 or later, including six on the final two days.      

1 minute ago, weams said:

No one said he had an open door policy. 

Part of his difficulties were derived from his perceived lack of people skills.  I am not at all sure his time with the Orioles have shown things in that regard have changed toward the better.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Part of his difficulties were derived from his perceived lack of people skills.  I am not at all sure his time with the Orioles have shown things in that regard have changed toward the better.

It's a less people centric time. 

Archived