TT: ORIOLES UNEQUIVOCALLY NEED TO BE SELLERS!

Tony-OH

26 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Tough to imagine a team willing to take on O'Day's contract with him being owed 20 mil plus over the next two years and some change.  May have to eat some of that to get anything decent back in a trade.  Same for Trumbo.

I agree though, they aren't untradable like Davis is.  Just tough to move. 

Wouldn't the Orioles taking on some of the money get us a better return? 

Say the Orioles kicked in 10 million to make the contract 3/27, then I think Trumbo's movable. But would the Orioles do that, most likely not. 

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

Wouldn't the Orioles taking on some of the money get us a better return? 

Say the Orioles kicked in 10 million to make the contract 3/27, then I think Trumbo's movable. But would the Orioles do that, most likely not. 

I don't think we need to go out of our way to trade Trumbo this year - unless a team comes forward who is willing to eat every dollar of his contract.  

There's a fair chance he improves some next season considering his horrid April this year.  Then that one year and change left on his deal becomes much more attractive than two and some change left on it now.  I'm somewhat in the same mindset regarding O'Day, whose ERA is back up over 4 after today. 

10 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

We need at least ML (average or better) starters.

Who are we going to trade to get that? If we don't trade Manny then we are dead in the water. Need to develop at least 4 starters. Best case scenario is to have a winning season in 2020

Why do we need major league ready starters right now?  Those guys don't grow on trees. I don't think many of us are expecting to be competitive in 18 or 19.  

I'd be happy with getting a handful of staters that are a year or two away.  If half of them work out you may end up filling out half your rotation by 2020.  That should be the goal IMO.  

Obviously if Manny is dealt, the expectation of return changes.  

Just now, ChuckS said:

Why do we need major league ready starters right now?  Those guys don't grow on trees. I don't think many of us are expecting to be competitive in 18 or 19.  

I'd be happy with getting a handful of staters that are a year or two away.  If half of them work out you may end up filling out half your rotation by 2020.  That should be the goal IMO.  

I agree. No half measures. 

15 hours ago, ChuckS said:

It's  true we don't need guys who are ready now. But the players that you obtain, it's very unlikely that half would actually turn out. The farther from the majors the lower the percentage. That's why I was advocating for Buehler and Alvarez as the two main parts for Britton with perhaps White as another guy that is a few years away.

Even this case and the wealth of the Dodgers system it's very unlikely that more  one of these guys becomes a star. Since we'd settle for 2 that are just better than we have now perhaps it would be a good outcome.

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

It's  true we don't need guys who are ready now. But the players that you obtain, it's very unlikely that half would actually turn out. The farther from the majors the lower the percentage. That's why I was advocating for Buehler and Alvarez as the two main parts for Britton with perhaps White as another guy that is a few years away.

Even this case and the wealth of the Dodgers system it's very unlikely that more  one of these guys becomes a star. Since we'd settle for 2 that are just better than we have now perhaps it would be a good outcome.

Precisely.

Further, it's not like we're going to be competitive in 2020 by having a bunch of rookies on the field. You're competitive by 2020 by having guys that can be Orioles in 2018 and 2019, and then be ready to take the next step by 2020/2021.

A couple types of sellers we could be, 

• Simple one-  DFA Ubaldo and Kim. Trade Miley, Tillman, Castillo, Smith and O'day for anything we could get. 
  • Mini rebuild- Trade one of Brach or Britton.
  • Rebuild- Trade some/all of Givens, Machado, Schoop, Jones. 

I see us keeping 3 of the big 4 relievers. Selling just our soon to be FA's. Try to find 3/5 of a rotation before OD 2018. I don't know if it's right, but we will just chalk this up to being unlucky and go after it with the same core next year. 

24 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

A couple types of sellers we could be, 

• Simple one-  DFA Ubaldo and Kim. Trade Miley, Tillman, Castillo, Smith and O'day for anything we could get. 
  • Mini rebuild- Trade one of Brach or Britton.
  • Rebuild- Trade some/all of Givens, Machado, Schoop, Jones. 

I see us keeping 3 of the big 4 relievers. Selling just our soon to be FA's. Try to find 3/5 of a rotation before OD 2018. I don't know if it's right, but we will just chalk this up to being unlucky and go after it with the same core next year. 

Your mini-rebuild might happen, but what do you think Miley and Tillman would bring in trade? No value for either of them.

Archived