Teams that could/should be interested in Britton

Roll Tide

I wanted to take a moment to look at a few teams that might have interest in Britton.

1)     Dodgers: Has been discussed in the rumor thread about the very subject. The Dodgers are the best team in the National league with Kenley Jensen as their closer. With Jensen and Britton in the back of their pen it would be unfair to their opponents. The question is: Would they be willing to pay the price to make it happen? The Orioles would be asking for a ton if they decided to trade Britton.

Their farm system is among the best and has prospects such Buehler, Alvarez, and Calhoun leading the way in a deep farm system. The starting point for the Dodgers would be to better the 4-player package that the Yankees received when they traded Chapman. While there could be some concern about Britton’s health, he does have another year of control over.

2)     Diamondbacks: They s are hanging in in the wild card field for the National league despite struggling closer Fernando Rodney (5.85 ERA and 5 blown saves). The Diamondbacks have the 27th ranked farm system and don’t have a prospect ranked in the midseason top 50.

3)     St Louis Cardinals: They have a number of prospects in the top 100 headlined by Top prospect catcher Carson Kelly and 100 MPH hurler Alcantara. The Cardinals have not figured out if they are buyers or sellers.

4)     Nationals: This would be the perfect time for the Orioles to fleece the Nationals. The Nationals are loaded with talent and have a clear need in the bullpen. Robles looks like the real deal and is a 5 tool player with Plus Plus speed. One could argue that both Britton ad Brach could seriously improve the pen in Washington.

Sadly, Peter Angelos’ stubbornness will likely remove the Nationals from consideration.

5)     Braves: The Braves have an old Orioles closer Jim Johnson as their current closer. Johnson has 7 blown saves as of July 7th. He’s 6-1 with a 4.02 and 21 saves, this means he has been bailed out by the Braves offense. The Braves always have a deep farm system and could improve their playoff chances with Britton. They have a pair of 19 year olds tearing up the minors with OF Acuna and SP LH Allard.

6)     Cubs: Their bullpen has also recently shown some cracks. The question is do the Cubs have enough left in the farm after recent trades for Quintana?

7)     Houston Astros: They could use some bullpen help and Britton would certainly help shore up the pen. While they also appear to have a need at starter they have Dallas Keuchel and Collin Mchugh set tocome  back from the DL.  They have OF Tucker (#14) and SP Forrest Whitley (#45). Whitley has Plus fastball, Curveball, MLB AVG Cutter & Change.

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The extra year of control has no value if Britton's elbow is hanging by a thread. Dodgers SEEM like the most logical fit and IF healthy, you're probably right about the ask. But three or four good appearances probably won't sway the Dodgers. Only the exchange and review of medical reports will. As a Dodger fan I don't know whether to be excited either way. If a trade is Chapman-Esque it is a good amount of young talent gone. If it's Calhoun and not much else, I will glean that Britton's elbow is shot. 

53 minutes ago, Hotdiggity said:

The extra year of control has no value if Britton's elbow is hanging by a thread. Dodgers SEEM like the most logical fit and IF healthy, you're probably right about the ask. But three or four good appearances probably won't sway the Dodgers. Only the exchange and review of medical reports will. As a Dodger fan I don't know whether to be excited either way. If a trade is Chapman-Esque it is a good amount of young talent gone. If it's Calhoun and not much else, I will glean that Britton's elbow is shot. 

Britton wouldn't be pitching right now if there was any concern. The Dodgers won't get off easy.

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

I wanted to take a moment to look at a few teams that might have interest in Britton.

1)     Dodgers: Has been discussed in the rumor thread about the very subject. The Dodgers are the best team in the National league with Kenley Jensen as their closer. With Jensen and Britton in the back of their pen it would be unfair to their opponents. The question is: Would they be willing to pay the price to make it happen? The Orioles would be asking for a ton if they decided to trade Britton.

Their farm system is among the best and has prospects such Buehler, Alvarez, and Calhoun leading the way in a deep farm system. The starting point for the Dodgers would be to better the 4-player package that the Yankees received when they traded Chapman. While there could be some concern about Britton’s health, he does have another year of control over.

2)     Diamondbacks: They s are hanging in in the wild card field for the National league despite struggling closer Fernando Rodney (5.85 ERA and 5 blown saves). The Diamondbacks have the 27th ranked farm system and don’t have a prospect ranked in the midseason top 50.

3)     St Louis Cardinals: They have a number of prospects in the top 100 headlined by Top prospect catcher Carson Kelly and 100 MPH hurler Alcantara. The Cardinals have not figured out if they are buyers or sellers.

4)     Nationals: This would be the perfect time for the Orioles to fleece the Nationals. The Nationals are loaded with talent and have a clear need in the bullpen. Robles looks like the real deal and is a 5 tool player with Plus Plus speed. One could argue that both Britton ad Brach could seriously improve the pen in Washington.

Sadly, Peter Angelos’ stubbornness will likely remove the Nationals from consideration.

5)     Braves: The Braves have an old Orioles closer Jim Johnson as their current closer. Johnson has 7 blown saves as of July 7th. He’s 6-1 with a 4.02 and 21 saves, this means he has been bailed out by the Braves offense. The Braves always have a deep farm system and could improve their playoff chances with Britton. They have a pair of 19 year olds tearing up the minors with OF Acuna and SP LH Allard.

6)     Cubs: Their bullpen has also recently shown some cracks. The question is do the Cubs have enough left in the farm after recent trades for Quintana?

7)     Houston Astros: They could use some bullpen help and Britton would certainly help shore up the pen. While they also appear to have a need at starter they have Dallas Keuchel and Collin Mchugh set tocome  back from the DL.  They have OF Tucker (#14) and SP Forrest Whitley (#45). Whitley has Plus fastball, Curveball, MLB AVG Cutter & Change.

Acuna is probably untouchable, he might be the top prospect in baseball by the end of the season.  The Braves have multiple prospects who could headline a deal, including Allard and Albies.  Any of those would be great headliners IMO. 

Forrest Whitley would also be a great get, I doubt they deal Tucker, and I think I'd rather have Whitley anyways, personally.

Soto from the Nationals is more likely to be traded and might be even better than Robles.

I'd love to get Buehler and Ruiz (young catcher with plus hit tool)

15 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

Acuna is probably untouchable, he might be the top prospect in baseball by the end of the season.  The Braves have multiple prospects who could headline a deal, including Allard and Albies.  Any of those would be great headliners IMO. 

Forrest Whitley would also be a great get, I doubt they deal Tucker, and I think I'd rather have Whitley anyways, personally.

Soto from the Nationals is more likely to be traded and might be even better than Robles.

I'd love to get Buehler and Ruiz (young catcher with plus hit tool)

Thanks for the input.....I'm not suggesting any package in this thread. I'm just point out prospects that made the mid year top 50 and whatever else I could find looking around.

i was looking for input on a possible package for Britton outside here to see what the thoughts are. 

A number of articles suggest that the asking price will be steep.

A Houston blog writer suggested this package that is mostly trash. 

I’d deal Teoscar HernandezFranklin Perez and possibly Tony Kemp to make a deal like this happen.

but Hernandez is a mediocre outfield prospect that hits about .280 in the minors with no power. Tony Kemp is a 5'6" outfield prospect that has hit well in the minors, has speed (bunches of steals but poor SB/CS rate) and has no  power either. And Perez has a mid three minor league era in 2 minor league seasons and about a K per inning.

IMO the guy is dreaming and can't imagine any of these guys are among their top prospects.

44 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Thanks for the input.....I'm not suggesting any package in this thread. I'm just point out prospects that made the mid year top 50 and whatever else I could find looking around.

i was looking for input on a possible package for Britton outside here to see what the thoughts are. 

A number of articles suggest that the asking price will be steep.

A Houston blog writer suggested this package that is mostly trash. 

I’d deal Teoscar HernandezFranklin Perez and possibly Tony Kemp to make a deal like this happen.

but Hernandez is a mediocre outfield prospect that hits about .280 in the minors with no power. Tony Kemp is a 5'6" outfield prospect that has hit well in the minors, has speed (bunches of steals but poor SB/CS rate) and has no  power either. And Perez has a mid three minor league era in 2 minor league seasons and about a K per inning.

IMO the guy is dreaming and can't imagine any of these guys are among their top prospects.

I think that is a reasonable package, although I'm not a huge fan of those guys particularly.  

Perez would be the headliner, he was just ranked the 32nd overall prospect by Baseball America.  

Hernandez is a MLB ready cheap outfielder on a non-cometitive team, or a 4th outfielder on a good team.

Kemp is a MLB ready utility guy with speed.

While Hernandez and Kemp are not sexy, they are cheap and controllable and major league ready, and there is value there.

That said, I'd rather substitute upside for major league readiness.

I think the O's could get a better package if Britton shows his health and effectiveness over his next few outings.

15 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

I think that is a reasonable package, although I'm not a huge fan of those guys particularly.  

Perez would be the headliner, he was just ranked the 32nd overall prospect by Baseball America.  

Hernandez is a MLB ready cheap outfielder on a non-cometitive team, or a 4th outfielder on a good team.

Kemp is a MLB ready utility guy with speed.

While Hernandez and Kemp are not sexy, they are cheap and controllable and major league ready, and there is value there.

That said, I'd rather substitute upside for major league readiness.

I think the O's could get a better package if Britton shows his health and effectiveness over his next few outings.

Perez is the only player I have any interest in. The other two guys are trash. A 5'6" OF is nearly worthless. Who cares about cost controlled and the other guy s likely a .250 avg MLB player with no power. Pretty worthless. IMO this deal is far worse that the Chapman deal and I'd just keep Zack.

4 minutes ago, 1968_bills_fan said:

For me, I want to see numbers of players who are 2019, 2010 predicted come-to-majors, rather than one or two marginal major-league ready players.

I agree, for me Forrest Whitley would need to be in any Astros deal.

Why would Atl trade for Britton? 

Washington is the perfect fit. Houston next and then LAD. Each has great prospects, I'd like to deal with Washington because they need more than one arm and we have 3.

Any team getting Britton will give him a physical, he should be fine. Kimbrel giving up a HR yesterday is another selling point, ZB nearly requires 3 hits to get a run in. Pitch him with regularity until the deadline. Everyone knows he can handle the 9th. The team who gets him gets the best RP in baseball. 

Archived