Hays and Yaz going crazy for BaySox

wildcard

3 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I don't think that is correct. I thought as long as the player spends some days that counts towards the 90. I don't think it has to be all in one season.  

I could be wrong. I thought it was a one time deal. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, eddie83 said:

Does anyone have a list of players we have to add to the 40 man by next year? And also who are out of options? 

List of players eligible to be exposed to the Rule 5 draft

Norfolk

Yaz, Dosch, Sisco, Kipper. Wortherspoon, Wheeler

Bowie

Wynns, Salcedo, A Rodriguez, Marin, Barker, Hess, Means, Scott, Long. Grimes

Frederick

Wilkerson, Hart, Rifaela

I am pretty sure all these are eligible but I will not guarantee  there is not more.

No option years remaining after this season

Aquino

Brach

Britton

Bundy

Tillman - FA

Gentry

Verrett

Wright

Ynoa

Castro

Wilson

Nuno

Janish - FA

Tejada- FA

Pena

6 years or more of service time and can’t be optioned

Jimenez - FA

O’Day

Davis

Hardy-  Option but probably FA

Jones

Miley - option but probably FA

Smith - FA

Trumbo

Castillo - Player option

Flaherty - FA after this year.  Currently has options but O's need permission to send him down.

13 minutes ago, Larry18 said:

I could be wrong. I thought it was a one time deal. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

A Rule 5 player must spend the entire first season either on the 25-man active roster or the DL.  If he doesn't accumulate at least 90 days on the active roster due to DL stints, the Rule 5 restrictions carry forward to the next season, until such time as he as amassed a total of 90 days on the 25-man active roster.  If, for example, he ends up with 60 days active this season, he must spend 30 days on the active roster next season before being able to be optioned to the minors.

25 minutes ago, Number5 said:

A Rule 5 player must spend the entire first season either on the 25-man active roster or the DL.  If he doesn't accumulate at least 90 days on the active roster due to DL stints, the Rule 5 restrictions carry forward to the next season, until such time as he as amassed a total of 90 days on the 25-man active roster.  If, for example, he ends up with 60 days active this season, he must spend 30 days on the active roster next season before being able to be optioned to the minors.

I read that on Wikipedia but the MLBPA site doesn't state that it can carry over.

What happens when a player is selected in the Rule 5 Draft?

A team that selects a player in the Rule 5 Draft pays $50,000 to the team from which he was selected. The receiving team must then keep the player on the Major League 25-man roster for the entirety of the next season, and the selected player must remain active (not on the disabled list) for a minimum of 90 days. If the player does not remain on the Major League roster, he is offered back to the team from which he was selected for $25,000. If his original team declines, the receiving team may waive the player

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/minorleagues/rule_5.jsp?mc=faq

If, because of injury, a player selected in the Rule 5 draft spends less than 90 days on the active Major League roster, he also must remain on the Major League roster the next season until he earns 90 days of service. Otherwise, he must be put on waivers and offered back to his original club.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/transactions-glossary/

10 minutes ago, Larry18 said:

I read that on Wikipedia but the MLBPA site doesn't state that it can carry over.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/minorleagues/rule_5.jsp?mc=faq

The quote you posted is outdated, as the dollar amounts are now $100K and $50K.  Having said that, the quote was even incorrect when it was typed as, yes, the number of days on the active roster definitely carry forward to the next season if the player spent less than 90 days active due to DL stints.  That has always been the case, and remains so.  It is possible, in fact, for it to carry forward even into a third season, if the player spends enough time on the DL.

Baseball America explains it pretty well:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/majors/everything-need-know-rule-5-draft/

31 minutes ago, Number5 said:

The quote you posted is outdated, as the dollar amounts are now $100K and $50K.  Having said that, the quote was even incorrect when it was typed as, yes, the number of days on the active roster definitely carry forward to the next season if the player spent less than 90 days active due to DL stints.  That has always been the case, and remains so.  It is possible, in fact, for it to carry forward even into a third season, if the player spends enough time on the DL.

Baseball America explains it pretty well:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/majors/everything-need-know-rule-5-draft/

I don't think the current CBA has been released. 

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Norfolk

Yacabonis

I am pretty sure all these are eligible but I will not guarantee  there is not more.

He's currently on the 40 and would not be eligible for the Rule 5.

A point on Yaz:

Last season, he started in Bowie and was promoted to Norfolk. Started this year in Norfolk after recovering from surgery. Thanks to Adam Brett Walker destroying the ball in Bowie, they decided to bump him up to Norfolk. Sending Yaz down might have actually worked best for him since now he gets to play instead of be "Kim'ed." He's been raking in the Double A level. Not a "prospect," but I wouldn't mind him being in Baltimore in September if he keeps playing like this. Urrutia and Walker got chances, why not him?

Hays has been on a tear this season, but he hasn't fully dipped into AA yet. See how the season plays out, see him in the spring and go from there.

If we trade Smith(I think we will), Yaz is the closest thing we have to an actual mlb outfield prospect ready this year. No harm in giving him a try in right field. He could become a Nate McClouth like player or become David Lough. There's only one way to find out. I just hope we don't give him away without getting a shot like we seem to like to do. 

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

Norfolk

Yaz, Dosch, Sisco, Kipper. Wortherspoon, Wheeler

Bowie

Wynns, Salcedo, A Rodriguez, Marin, Barker, Hess, Means, Scott, Long. Grimes

Frederick

Wilkerson, Hart, Rifaela

No option years remaining after this season

Aquino

Brach

Britton

Bundy

Tillman - FA

Gentry

Verrett

Wright

Ynoa

Castro

Wilson

Nuno

Janish - FA

Tejada- FA

Pena

6 years or more of service time and can’t be optioned

Jimenez - FA

O’Day

Davis

Hardy-  Option but probably FA

Jones

Miley - option but probably FA

Smith - FA

Trumbo

Castillo - Player option

Flaherty - FA after this year.  Currently has options but O's need permission to send him down.

Good work. 

Out of those arms the ones that interest me enough as far as options are Aquino, Wright and Castro. Aquino as a long man/number 5 and Castro in the pen and at this point Wright as well. 

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

Good work. 

Out of those arms the ones that interest me enough as far as options are Aquino, Wright and Castro. Aquino as a long man/number 5 and Castro in the pen and at this point Wright as well. 

I follow this stuff all year long.   All I had to do is copy, paste and update a few recent moves.

Archived