Realistically, fix the SP so we can contend down the stretch

ScGO's

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

If we picked up the salary, what prospect return would Detroit want for Verlander? Would they take prospects like Wells, Reyes, and Yaz over our top studs?

The O's will not be interested in Verlander.  He has owed 28m a year in for both 2018 and 2019 with a 22 m vesting option for 2020.  What I have read is the Tigers are willing be pay for the 10m remaining on this 2017 contract.  That is not even close to enough for the O's to interested.

15 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

If we picked up the salary, what prospect return would Detroit want for Verlander? Would they take prospects like Wells, Reyes, and Yaz over our top studs?

Right, in theory we'd pay the whole amount to lower the asking price. I don't know how far down that takes it.

It would be gutsy as hell.  Plus a significant other upgrade even over Kris Benson.

To wildcard's point though, that's a ton of money for someone who wasn't good for a spell not that long ago.

9 minutes ago, pdiddy said:

Right, in theory we'd pay the whole amount to lower the asking price. I don't know how far down that takes it.

It would be gutsy as hell.  Plus a significant other upgrade even over Kris Benson.

To wildcard's point though, that's a ton of money for someone who wasn't good for a spell not that long ago.

I like the idea of it just for cash and a throw in. Perhaps Jomar.

6 hours ago, O's84 said:

Anybody who mentions Scott Feldman's name should be banned from the OH. ;)

Why the animus towards Feldman?    He did exactly what should have been expected while he was here -- pitched like a no. 3-4 starter and ate innings.    The team stopped hitting after we acquired him, and that's why we missed the playoffs.   

Just now, Frobby said:

Why the animus towards Feldman?    He did exactly what should have been expected while he was here -- pitched like a no. 3-4 starter and ate innings.    The team stopped hitting after we acquired him, and that's why we missed the playoffs.   

I like Feldman, so does Buck. I did not like the big contract that he got after leaving the Orioles.

8 minutes ago, weams said:

I like Feldman, so does Buck. I did not like the big contract that he got after leaving the Orioles.

You mean the 3/$30 mm he got, for which he pitched to a 3.84 ERA over the next three years and didn't cost a pick?    Think if we had signed him to that and hadn't signed Ubaldo.

19 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You mean the 3/$30 mm he got, for which he pitched to a 3.84 ERA over the next three years and didn't cost a pick?    Think if we had signed him to that and hadn't signed Ubaldo.

That would have been a much better deal. 

16 hours ago, 24fps said:

DD is a key executive in a business worth around a billion dollars, so I think it is likely that he spends a great deal of his workday thinking like a businessman.  Also, probably somewhere near the top, if not at the very top, of his job description is winning as many games as possible, so it's hard to fault him for doing exactly that whether it serves some separate personal agenda or not.

Here's an alternate theory:  DD spends everyday working as professionally as possible within the parameters established by his employer.  Just like we all do.  

Yes, and he did not flirt with the Blue Jays job and fall asleep at the wheel that off-season. He is human and I am suggesting that he most likely is doing what I said. Yes, winning games is important. But, for instance, Cashman, was willing to sacrifice some games last year for more future wins. I'm not sure DD is willing to do that. That is all I am saying.

40 minutes ago, pastorfan said:

Yes, and he did not flirt with the Blue Jays job and fall asleep at the wheel that off-season. He is human and I am suggesting that he most likely is doing what I said. Yes, winning games is important. But, for instance, Cashman, was willing to sacrifice some games last year for more future wins. I'm not sure DD is willing to do that. That is all I am saying.

On the day the Yankees traded Chapman (July 25), they had the 8th best record in the AL and were 7.5 games out of the division lead, 4.5 out of the wild card.

On the day they traded Miller (July 31), the Yankees had the 9th best record in the AL, and were 7 games out of the division lead, 5.5 out of the wild card.  

Today, the Orioles are tied for the 10th best record in the AL, 6 games out of the division lead and 3.5 out of the wild card.  

You could argue that our position is a smidge better than the Yankees' when they made those deals based on games back of the leaders, but the existence of one more team between us and the leaders, and another team tied with us, makes the situation pretty comparable.   

37 minutes ago, Frobby said:

On the day the Yankees traded Chapman (July 25), they had the 8th best record in the AL and were 7.5 games out of the division lead, 4.5 out of the wild card.

On the day they traded Miller (July 31), the Yankees had the 9th best record in the AL, and were 7 games out of the division lead, 5.5 out of the wild card.  

Today, the Orioles are tied for the 10th best record in the AL, 6 games out of the division lead and 3.5 out of the wild card.  

You could argue that our position is a smidge better than the Yankees' when they made those deals based on games back of the leaders, but the existence of one more team between us and the leaders, and another team tied with us, makes the situation pretty comparable.   

Only in the standings.   The Yankees had several minors leaguers ready to break into the majors.  Plus they have a payroll that allows them to reload.   

The O's do not have impact guys knocking down the door.  They have a few that minor leaguers  that may be able to contribute in the future.  Actually a trade of Britton signals throwing in the towel to at less some  of the O's players.   The O's sell off will take a lot longer to come back.  And we are talking years

11 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Only in the standings.   The Yankees had several minors leaguers ready to break into the majors.  Plus they have a payroll that allows them to reload.   

The O's do not have impact guys knocking down the door.  They have a few that minor leaguers  that may be able to contribute in the future.  Actually a trade of Britton signals throwing in the towel to at less some  of the O's players.   The O's sell off will take a lot longer to come back.  And we are talking years

I was only referring to their relative position in the playoff race, not the overall future of the franchise.    It sounds as if you are arguing that the O's should be more reluctant to give up on the season because they're in a worse position for the future than the Yankees were.    I'm not sure that makes sense, though I agree we won't be positioned to bounce back as quickly as the Yankees apparently have.

21 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I don't thing the sell off of the bullpen will take years to rebound from.  They can move Britton Brach Castillo, and Smith and still compete next year if they do it right.  Next year we will still have a very good core in Manny, Schoop, Mancini, Davis Trumbo, Bundy and Gausman.  They can resign Tilman if they like and still have a solid 3 starters.  If they can get one starter that is major league ready in the Britton or Brach deals that would allow us to sign just 1 starter to have a possible solid 5 man rotation.  We are 3 games out of wild card now manly because of Ubaldo and Tilman struggles.  If you can replace Ubaldo with an average starter and Tilman looks more like he has last few starts that would be a huge bump up.

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

It's a joke.

Archived