BTB :Britton's low trade value could hurt O's chances of dealing him

Tony-OH

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

Corn ...he's responding to the Dodger poster who is saying the Britton arm is falling off. Go back and read it...his handle is something like Hotdiggity

I know what is going on in the thread.

But I still think Britton is giving up less soft contact.

Also maybe more barrels, frankly I'm too lazy to check right now.

I don't think the difference between 2016 Britton and 2017 Britton is just that his command is a bit off.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, NickM21 said:

As mentioned throughout the thread, the best bet now is to hope he finishes the year out strong and we can trade him in the off season. After his last few outings nobody is giving up what we would want/need.

I agree that this is the most logical option.  However, I don't see Dan/Buck/Angelos agreeing to trade one of their star players in the offseason.  They will use the offseason to add to the big league roster, not subtract from it.  I'm not agreeing with it, just predicting it based on past behavior.  Our only hope of selling and rebuilding the farm was at the trade deadline if it's clear we have no reasonable shot at the playoffs.  And that is looking less and less likely.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I know what is going on in the thread.

But I still think Britton is giving up less soft contact.

Also maybe more barrels, frankly I'm too lazy to check right now.

I don't think the difference between 2016 Britton and 2017 Britton is just that his command is a bit off.

Even if that's the cause, so what? Fixing a command issue isn't always like snapping your fingers. Look at Miley this year, and Gausman for most of the year.    Britton's been pitching since June 20, he's had plenty of time to lock in.   While he might do so at some point, it's entirely possible that he won't.  

2 hours ago, Chavez Ravine said:

If Britton suddenly finds it, can we deal him in August? Would we deal him to the Yankees or Rays? The minor league parts don't need to clear waivers right?...I am always forgetting such details.

No, he would be claimed by other contending teams if only to block a competitor from acquiring him. 

You trade him by July 31 or you don't trade him at all this season.  If he suddenly finds it and it finishes the year strong you trade him in the offseason or bring him back in 2018 to build his value for the next trade deadline. 

Britton's value has taken a big hit and I don't think it would be wise to move him in the next week for pennies on the dollar. 

The difficult question is: if they DON'T trade Britton and he continues pitching this bad, how can they possibly tender him a contract in the offseason? This is a team that will struggle to finance a $13-15 million closer (and $30 million bullpen). When that closer is a tremendous question mark in both performance and health, I am not seeing them being able to take an eight-figure gamble on him. There's a very realistic scenario in which a 'reduced' trade return next week is the optimal possible value we can get for him.

15 minutes ago, BobDylanBundy said:

The difficult question is: if they DON'T trade Britton and he continues pitching this bad, how can they possibly tender him a contract in the offseason? This is a team that will struggle to finance a $13-15 million closer (and $30 million bullpen). When that closer is a tremendous question mark in both performance and health, I am not seeing them being able to take an eight-figure gamble on him. There's a very realistic scenario in which a 'reduced' trade return next week is the optimal possible value we can get for him.

You give Britton a contract because there's a chance he will return to his 2016 form next season.  If he does, you either have a great closer if you are in contention, or you trade him for top prospects if you aren't.  If he is mediocre or bad, then you are out $13-15 million.  I think there is more upside risk than downside.

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

I don't make anything out of the fact that Zach hasn't pitched back to back games.     The team hasn't gone into the late innings with a narrow lead very often since he's returned, and you don't pitch a guy on back to back days unless there's a reason to do it.

If Zach could pitch back to back games, then Buck would have made a point of using him in back to back games, just to establish to rival teams that he is not being babied.  Instead Buck is using him every other game, regardless of game situation.  Surely other teams have noticed this.  Teams looking for a closer or an 8th inning guy want to be able to use them in back to back games.  

This is what happens when you wait until the last minute to try and trade someone like Britton. No one wants to give up too much because they know he will be a free agent in a few months. This is typical Orioles front office decision making. We better get something for him. If they don't, they better pony up the money and resign him because if he walks away as a free agent and we get nothing for him, it's another black eye on an organization that has been full of black eyes. They are going to do the same thing with Manny. Why are we loyal to a player that isn't going to be loyal to us?

1 hour ago, joeyc said:

This is what happens when you wait until the last minute to try and trade someone like Britton. No one wants to give up too much because they know he will be a free agent in a few months. This is typical Orioles front office decision making. We better get something for him. If they don't, they better pony up the money and resign him because if he walks away as a free agent and we get nothing for him, it's another black eye on an organization that has been full of black eyes. They are going to do the same thing with Manny. Why are we loyal to a player that isn't going to be loyal to us?

Both Britton'(arbitration eligible) and Manny are under contract for 2018 so the Oriole's haven't really waited until the last minute for either one. If you want to argue that they should have tried to sell high on Britton in the offseason that's fine, but that call was really a coin flip at the time. 

1 hour ago, joeyc said:

Britton is not eligible to be a free agent until after the 2018 season.

18 hours ago, Frobby said:

I don't make anything out of the fact that Zach hasn't pitched back to back games.     The team hasn't gone into the late innings with a narrow lead very often since he's returned, and you don't pitch a guy on back to back days unless there's a reason to do it.

The command issue is a more serious reason why his market will be dampened.   

Showcasing a guy you want to move is a pretty good reason IMHO.

51 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Both Britton'(arbitration eligible) and Manny are under contract for 2018 so the Oriole's haven't really waited until the last minute for either one. If you want to argue that they should have tried to sell high on Britton in the offseason that's fine, but that call was really a coin flip at the time. 

Not under contract, under team control.

Archived