BTB :Britton's low trade value could hurt O's chances of dealing him

Tony-OH

31 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Hit hard? Your vision of what happened and what I saw were 2 different things. Longo hit the ball hard, the other 2 hits were groundballs. The Orioles hit the ball harder making outs last night. 

He's not missing enough bats, and he's not hitting his spots.   Today's outing was the proverbial nail in the coffin with respect to getting a Chapman/Miller-like return for Britton.   

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He's not missing enough bats, and he's not hitting his spots.   Today's outing was the proverbial nail in the coffin with respect to getting a Chapman/Miller-like return for Britton.   

He isn't getting hit hard either. Teams like Houston and LAD need him right in 2 months.  I saw some stats today where his in the bottom of the zone the same amount as last year. 

He isn't as sharp, not saying that. 

The next important game that Houston and LAD play comes in about 10 weeks. Those teams will have to ask the question whether they think he isn't as sharp coming off the DL or is it something more of a long term concern. 

5 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

The next important game that Houston and LAD play comes in about 10 weeks. Those teams will have to ask the question whether they think he isn't as sharp coming off the DL or is it something more of a long term concern. 

And those questions will drop his value. I just hope someone is willing to take the amble, but won't be surprised if they don't.

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

And those questions will drop his value. I just hope someone is willing to take the amble, but won't be surprised if they don't.

To what extent is the question. 

If I am trading for him his health is the main question. Of course how good is his stuff. I think his stuff looks fine.  

I question just how much DD wants in a deal. He can play these teams off on one another but at the end he will have to decide.  

Perhaps they are pushing Brach more now as well.  

6 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

To what extent is the question. 

If I am trading for him his health is the main question. Of course how good is his stuff. I think his stuff looks fine.  

I question just how much DD wants in a deal. He can play these teams off on one another but at the end he will have to decide.  

Perhaps they are pushing Brach more now as well.  

He's put 12 guys on base in 6 innings since his return.

51 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

6 of his last 7 hits are ground balls. 

His stuff is fine. 

There are ground balls, and then there are ground balls.    Last year it seemed like half the hits off Britton were nubbers that never left the infield.    This year, the ball is being hit much harder, even if on the ground.   Per fangraphs, last year Zach had 30.9% soft contact and 14.8% hard contact; this year it's 14.5% soft contact and 29.1% hard contact.   His ground ball rate is down, his line drive rate is up, and his strikeout rate is substantially down.     But go ahead, kid yourself that he's just getting unlucky.   

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

There are ground balls, and then there are ground balls.    Last year it seemed like half the hits off Britton were nubbers that never left the infield.    This year, the ball is being hit much harder, even if on the ground.   Per fangraphs, last year Zach had 30.9% soft contact and 14.8% hard contact; this year it's 14.5% soft contact and 29.1% hard contact.   His ground ball rate is down, his line drive rate is up, and his strikeout rate is substantially down.     But go ahead, kid yourself that he's just getting unlucky.   

I was at the game on Thursday and yes he was unlucky. A perfectly placed groundball down 3rd and a high chopper up the middle. Today on one of the two turf fields left in the sport he lets up a grounder into LF and a high chopper over Davis who was holding a runner. 

The numbers you are referring to also include earlier in the season. I think he looks better now then he did in April where every night it was a high wire act.   

We are probably better off trading Britton in the offseason or next year's trade deadline at this point. Maybe he rebuilds his value over the final two months.  If he can't do it then maybe he does it next year.  

That 1.83 WHIP will not be overlooked despite what several voices on this board seem to think.

I am not a fan of selling low.  Deal Brach now.  Wait on Britton. 

At this point it's probably best not to deal him now.

Agree with Chuck 100%.   Hope he has a strong Aug/Sept and then can bring us something in the offseason.

Deal Brach, Smith, Kim, Castillo.

(And if possible O'Day, Trumbo, Tillman, Ubaldo, Miley, Hardy -- but of course I do not think getting any return for those guys is even possible).

Archived