4th round pick - Kyle Hudson, CF, U of Illinois

Hudson was better known for his exploits as a wide receiver in his first two years at Illinois, leading the football team in receptions as a freshman and again as a sophomore. Relegated to a supporting role on the gridiron last fall, he has taken out his frustrations on opposing pitchers this spring. He ended the regular season among the NCAA Division I leaders in batting (.411), on-base percentage (.511), runs (60) and steals (39). He also set Big 10 Conference records for runs (40) and steals (25) in league games, and tied a school mark when he swiped his 40th base in the opening round of the league tournament. Hudson is a 5-foot-11, 165-pound burner whose games revolves around his top-of-the-line speed. He has run the 40-yard dash in 4.4 seconds and uses his quickness well on the bases and in center field. He's an outstanding athlete who once won the Illinois state high school high jump title with a mark of 6-foot-10 and earned 15 letters in four sports. Hudson offers little power, but he understands his limitations and concentrates on getting on base. He uses a slap approach at the plate and is a good bunter. His arm is well-below-average, though he compensates by getting to balls quickly. A team that loves speed and values athletes at a premium position could take Hudson as early as the third round.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MLB.com video: http://mlb.mlb.com/media/player/mp_tpl_3_1.jsp?w_id=706391&w=/2008/open/draft/broll/br_hudson_kyle_400.wmv&mid=200806022819305&vid=11071&pid=gen_video&cid=mlb&v=2

I like his swing. Looks fairly compact though he starts in an open stance.

Arm does indeed look weak. His throws were looped, which usually tells you the guy doesn't have the velocity to get it there on a line.

Tony, I hope you don't mind me starting this thread, but the natives were restless. ;)

A clear shift in drafting philosophy by JJ and the Orioles this year with the 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks being more athletes than baseball players. I hope it works out.

I like this pick more than the last two.

I like the description of this guy, especially the plays within himself part. Looks like there will be a little speed in the minors now.

So far however the Orioles have drafted 2 football players. I know Newsome is good with the draft but did they really have to let him into the Orioles draft room?

Personal ties and feelings for Angle aside, as someone in Columbus who has seen a lot of Big Ten ball, this pick is very puzzling. You're basically get a slower, a less plate disciplined, equal on power, weaker armed Angle here. Many think Angle doesn't look like a big leaguer, Hudson comes in 10 pounds lighter. Weird selection. Maybe he has more upside? I could add more useful info on him, but I'm just took back right now I guess.

Archived