POLL: Yay or nay on Hellickson trade?

PaulFolk

POLL: Yay or nay on the Hellickson trade?  

159 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the Hellickson trade?

• Yes. Hellickson will help the ailing rotation and didn't cost much.
    • No. Acquiring a pending FA starter makes no sense and wasn't worth the cost.
    • Meh. Probably won't matter either way.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Not using intl slot money.

Not using Kim.

Not using Cleavinger.

What exactly is there to hate about this? Ubaldo probably gets canned for this.

Gave up a player with the highest OBP last season and who was grossly misused by Buck because he hated him for some reason. Gave Iona pretty good pitcher for the future bullpen for as early as next season. Gave up something that could have been put towards a better player.

In return, they got leftover change and a pitcher who has rapidly declined and who could make the losses be 7-1 instead of 8-1. 

9 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Not using intl slot money.

Not using Kim.

Not using Cleavinger.

What exactly is there to hate about this? Ubaldo probably gets canned for this.

I voted  "Meh," but I'd probably rather see innings given to guys called up from AAA and AA.

5 minutes ago, gtman55 said:

Explain to me again why giving away International slots makes sense? Sorry but this team is a mess and it starts with ownership. Hard to be an O's fan these days.

It makes sense if you're not going to use it because the boss says so.  It's not money you can spend on something else.

4 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Gave up a player with the highest OBP last season and who was grossly misused by Buck because he hated him for some reason. Gave Iona pretty good pitcher for the future bullpen for as early as next season. Gave up something that could have been put towards a better player.

In return, they got leftover change and a pitcher who has rapidly declined and who could make the losses be 7-1 instead of 8-1. 

He would have probably been repeating AA next season.

8 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

If you want to evaluate the sheer stupidity of not participating internationally, the Kim fiasco, or the teams failure to develop a starting pitcher since Mussina, that's another thread.

Kim's OBP doesn't matter. Unless you meant On Bench Percentage-- it was the highest on the team, you are correct. If the Orioles weren't using him, his OBP don't mean jack.

You're way too high on Cleavinger. He's not a top ten prospect on a bottom third farm system.

1 minute ago, gtman55 said:

And exactly why does Angelos not want international players? The other teams do. I don't get it.

The short answer is that nobody outside the organization knows. I don't think anyone thinks the Orioles have a bias against international players -- just an unwillingness to pay the price for scouting, signing and developing them. My speculation on that is at the bottom of page 1 of the thread called  "The top 8 prospects in baseball are international signees." 

9 minutes ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

The Orioles might look at Jeremy as a open try out. The Orioles need two or three new starters next year. If Jeremy pitches well then maybe they will sign him as a FA and bring him back. That would be totally fine with me.

I was just thinking the same thing about the Phillies and Kim. My guess is they will look at him as a pinch-hitter/4th OFer, and figure that if they like what he does for them and he's happy with his playing time and his Phillies impressions they can sign him cheap.

1 minute ago, spiritof66 said:

I was just thinking the same thing about the Phillies and Kim. My guess is they will look at him as a pinch-hitter/4th OFer, and figure that if they like what he does for them and he's happy with his playing time and his Phillies impressions they can sign him cheap.

Kim could be dealt by them. 

24 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Trey Mancini kind of took his job. 

Archived