Caleb vs Castillo

eddie83

Pitchers ERA with each catcher  

Castillo 5.92   468 1/3 rds innings 

Joseph  4.28   420 1/3 rds innings 

That is an alarming stat. I mean over 1.5 runs per game? It isn't like one catcher caught 80% and another 20%. 

Caleb has always been considered a good game manager but that disparity is crazy. 

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

That is an alarming stat. I mean over 1.5 runs per game? It isn't like one catcher caught 80% and another 20%. 

Caleb has always been considered a good game manager but that disparity is crazy. 

Definitely interesting 

7 minutes ago, Grt 2BA FL Gator said:

Definitely interesting 

21 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

It seems odd that Buck is not seeing this.   Castillo's bat is not important enough to offset the impact on the pitching staff.   Caleb's all around play this year should allow Castillo to be traded.  It will be interesting to see how much /if the pitching improves the rest of the year with Joseph as the primary catcher. 

2 minutes ago, Pat Kelly said:

It seems odd that Buck is not seeing this.   Castillo's bat is not important enough to offset the impact on the pitching staff.   Caleb's all around play this year should allow Castillo to be traded.  It will be interesting to see how much /if the pitching improves the rest of the year with Joseph as the primary catcher. 

You don't think Buck's seeing it?   He's started Caleb three straight Gausman starts.

Let's face it, Miley and Jiminez are such a mess that having a good game called by and being sympatico with the C are probably not their biggest issue.  

I think we'll see more of Caleb even if Castillo isn't dealt.

Bundy is only oddball 

IP           ERA

Bundy 

Caleb    48.1      5.03

Castillo   71.0     4.18

Ubaldo 

Caleb      46.1       5.83

Castillo    51.1      8.06 

Gausman 

Caleb       60.2     3.41

Castillo    60.0     7.35

Miley

Caleb       63         3.86

Castillo    41.1      8.49

Tillman 

Caleb       14.2       7.98

Castillo    34.2       9.35

**Pena***   15.1      3.52 

Good work, Miley needs to have Caleb be his personal catcher.  That split is very telling, Miley's ERA is cut by more than half when Caleb is catching.  

Tillman needs to admit if he is hurt, his free agent value is shot.  Tillman would be better off getting healthy for 2018 and try land a big contract after next season.   

4 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I remember pointing out how much better our starters pitched with Joseph catching than Weiters (backed up by stats).  This is more evidence about how handling a staff is a catcher's most important job. 

Other then Dempsey and a few folks here at the OH it was common knowledge that Beef was a poor game manager/framer/defensive catcher.  That was the reason he wasn't tendered a contract.

Not criticising the signing just saying this shouldn't come as a surprise.

Just now, mdbdotcom said:

So, contending teams that could benefit from a catching upgrade should be more interested in trading for Caleb than Beef, right?

Back when Beef was signed Fangraphs did a piece suggesting that Caleb was the superior catcher, and that was with him coming off his zero rbi season.

5 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

So, contending teams that could benefit from a catching upgrade should be more interested in trading for Caleb than Beef, right?

Caleb has some value, although his dismal offensive season last year limits it some.  I'd hang onto Caleb and if he continues to hit next year he could be worth a significant return at the deadline if we aren't in the playoff race.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Back when Beef was signed Fangraphs did a piece suggesting that Caleb was the superior catcher, and that was with him coming off his zero rbi season.

Currently, Caleb's rWAR is 1.7 while Beef's is 0.9. Given what Beef is owed this year and his player option for next season, I don't see why any team would want him. If I'm the Rockies and DD calls me, I'm saying, "No interest in Castillo. Is Joseph available?"

5 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

Caleb has some value, although his dismal offensive season last year limits it some.  I'd hang onto Caleb and if he continues to hit next year he could be worth a significant return at the deadline if we aren't in the playoff race.

I think last year's injury and lack of playing time pretty much mitigates his offensive performance from last season. Hoping to get optimal value when he's 32 years old doesn't strike me as a particularly strong strategy. If you said you want to hold onto him as a mentor for Sisco, that makes some sense ... unless Beef picks up his player option.

Archived