Caleb vs Castillo

eddie83

1 minute ago, mdbdotcom said:

Currently, Caleb's rWAR is 1.7 while Beef's is 0.9. Given what Beef is owed this year and his player option for next season, I don't see why any team would want him. If I'm the Rockies and DD calls me, I'm saying, "No interest in Castillo. Is Joseph available?"

The contract, even with the option, isn't bad.  He does have value and there are some teams that he would be an upgrade for.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

I think last year's injury and lack of playing time pretty much mitigates his offensive performance from last season. Hoping to get optimal value when he's 32 years old doesn't strike me as a particularly strong strategy. If you said you want to hold onto him as a mentor for Sisco, that makes some sense ... unless Beef picks up his player option.

11 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Currently, Caleb's rWAR is 1.7 while Beef's is 0.9. Given what Beef is owed this year and his player option for next season, I don't see why any team would want him. If I'm the Rockies and DD calls me, I'm saying, "No interest in Castillo. Is Joseph available?"

Of course Caleb is the more desirable piece, I'm saying the since he is controlled through 2020 cheaply but doesn't have the track record to currently bring back a significant piece, he won't be traded.  I'm sure other teams are skeptical of him continuing to hit at a league average or better mark, they'd want him but only if it didn't cost much.  The O's on the other hand have a controllable back-up or starting catcher who they are comfortable and familiar with.  His value to the O's is current higher than his value to other teams.

6 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

Of course Caleb is the more desirable piece, I'm saying the since he is controlled through 2020 cheaply but doesn't have the track record to currently bring back a significant piece, he won't be traded.  I'm sure other teams are skeptical of him continuing to hit at a league average or better mark, they'd want him but only if it didn't cost much.  The O's on the other hand have a controllable back-up or starting catcher who they are comfortable and familiar with.  His value to the O's is current higher than his value to other teams.

Caleb posted a 1.2 rWAR in 2014 and 2.2 in 2015. Last year was the outlier. I'm not suggesting that the O's should trade him, just that he might be worth more in trade than Castillo. Whether or not what a team offers for him makes it worth giving him up is a different question that can't be evaluated without knowing the offers.

The splits with Gausman, Ubaldo and Miley are crazy, it's a significant difference. Hopefully Castillo is traded and Caleb gets the majority of the time the rest of the season. Caleb is having a decent with the bat too, better than Castillo there also.

9 hours ago, eddie83 said:

Bundy is only oddball 

IP           ERA

Bundy 

Caleb    48.1      5.03

Castillo   71.0     4.18

Ubaldo 

Caleb      46.1       5.83

Castillo    51.1      8.06 

Gausman 

Caleb       60.2     3.41

Castillo    60.0     7.35

Miley

Caleb       63         3.86

Castillo    41.1      8.49

Tillman 

Caleb       14.2       7.98

Castillo    34.2       9.35

**Pena***   15.1      3.52 

The Bundy difference likely relates to earlier in the season when Bundy was lights out and Castillo was catching most of the games. 

9 hours ago, Spy Fox said:

I'm skeptical to draw quick conclusions from catcher ERA data. But the fact that the discrepancy is so wide, and consistent across most of our SPs does lend more credence to the idea. 

B-b-but Rick Dempsey thinks Castillo is a pitch-calling genius!    Remember that narrative from the first month of the season?

I think Caleb is a perfect guy to help break in a younger guy like Sisco.    He's cerebral, unselfish and very team-oriented.     And Sisco's going to need some serious mentoring IMO.    I'd like to see them splitting the catcher duties 50/50 next year.    I'm praying Castillo doesn't exercise his option.   

50 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think Caleb is a perfect guy to help break in a younger guy like Sisco.    He's cerebral, unselfish and very team-oriented.     And Sisco's going to need some serious mentoring IMO.    I'd like to see them splitting the catcher duties 50/50 next year.    I'm praying Castillo doesn't exercise his option.   

OTOH, I don't think it'll be a bad thing if Sisco has to repeat AAA. He's nowhere near defensively ready and it's not like his offense has been that great either (.742 OPS with 79 strikeouts in 303 PA). 

21 minutes ago, TINSTAAPP said:

OTOH, I don't think it'll be a bad thing if Sisco has to repeat AAA. He's nowhere near defensively ready and it's not like his offense has been that great either (.742 OPS with 79 strikeouts in 303 PA). 

.742 OPS at Norfolk is pretty good.   Mancini was at .775 there last year.   Just not a hitter's park or league.   

On 7/30/2017 at 11:47 AM, Frobby said:

I guess I'm one of the few Castillo fans here.  Some are just point to his WAR # this year, but look at what it was last year.  Castillo is a very talented player who just needs to stay healthy, imo.  Not knocking Caleb - who's a great person to have on the team - but Castillo has a lot more ability, imo, and I'd like to keep him next year.     

On 7/31/2017 at 2:21 PM, Ruzious said:

I guess I'm one of the few Castillo fans here.  Some are just point to his WAR # this year, but look at what it was last year.  Castillo is a very talented player who just needs to stay healthy, imo.  Not knocking Caleb - who's a great person to have on the team - but Castillo has a lot more ability, imo, and I'd like to keep him next year.     

I just don't like his defensive game.   

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I just don't like his defensive game.   

And earlier in the season, when he was hitting well, and when we hadn't yet realized that Caleb Joseph was once again capable of hitting over .200 (well over it in fact) and knocking in an actual run... Castillo looked like a savior.   It was easier to overlook defensive issues.

But as the season has gone on, Caleb has shown he can be an major league hitter at the C position, we know his defense and pitch calling are solid, and the evidence continues to mount that Castillo might be lacking in that department.

Amazing how things can look so different over a couple of months time.

Archived