It's a disgrace....

ChuckS

3 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Mountcastle should not see Baltimore in 2018.  Mullins hasn't even had 200 at bats in Double A. 

I could see Hays and Sisco getting early call-ups next year and perhaps even be considered for the opening day roster. 

Putting Schoop on the opening day roster and keeping him there in 2014 will cost the O's a year of control. Some people made that argument when it happened. I thought it was silly. Doesn't seem silly now.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yes, if those six things had happened they might be close.

Just let that sink in a second.

Or you could look at it that all 6 of those things happened and they're still only 6.5 out.  

They set a record for terrible pitching. A 100 year old record.

Even just reasonably bad pitching and they're in it.

I still think they should have sold and I don't think they'll make the playoffs but it's not all that outlandish.

2 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Putting Schoop on the opening day roster and keeping him there in 2014 will cost the O's a year of control. Some people made that argument when it happened. I thought it was silly. Doesn't seem silly now.

Yep, I'm right there with you.  I figured he would be easy to extend if he turned out to be a player.

2 minutes ago, pdiddy said:

Or you could look at it that all 6 of those things happened and they're still only 6.5 out.  

I still think they should have sold and I don't think they'll make the playoffs but it's not all that outlandish.

Their pythag is 45-59.  You could make the case that they have been darned lucky to be only 6.5 out.

3 minutes ago, pdiddy said:

Which is less outlandish, picking up 5.5 games in the wildcard and climbing over 5 teams or picking up 6.5 games for the division lead and climbing over 3 teams?

16 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Hays is already more advanced as a hitter than Schoop was at that time.  

I wouldn't put Hays on the opening day roster just for the hell of it and I agree it makes sense to wait until May if possible to get that extra year.  But I can see the organization doing it just like they did with Markakis who went straight from Double A to the majors.

Schoop had a .598 OPS in 2014.  He should have been in Triple A probably for the entire season. 

1 minute ago, mdbdotcom said:

Which is less outlandish, picking up 5.5 games in the wildcard and climbing over 5 teams or picking up 6.5 games for the division lead and climbing over 3 teams?

Chances aren't good for either. I don't even know what's left against the teams in front of us (felt like we played a ton of AL East games early.). I figured we'd sell and I could start focusing on being disappointed by my football teams.

I think there's a decent chance they hang around right in this range for both for much of the rest of the year.

3 hours ago, ChuckS said:

I understand not wanting to sell low on Britton. But there was no excuse not to move Brach, Smith, or Castillo.  Brach's value is never going to be higher than it is now and they should have taken what they could for those other two even if the return was only going to be a lower minors flyer prospect.  We are going to have nothing to show for ourselves when these players hit free agency and I don't expect things to be any different with Britton and Machado.  

I think the ownership/FO is still in that delusional win-now mode and Buck and Duquette having just one more year left under contract probably played a role in the lack of activity. It's just sad because you look around baseball and see there is a clear model of how to operate under these circumstances, but the O's FO/ownership prefers to just keep digging a bigger hole.  

Indisputably.

3 hours ago, Lucky_13 said:

Yanks are not even comparable. They have the prospects to make that move. The Orioles wouldn't even have been in the conversation unless they offered Mountcastle, Sisco, Hays, Akin etc.  Plus the Yanks are going for a WS 

They offered more than Mancini? ?

2 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

A steep price, indeed.

Roch:

Relievers Zach Britton and Brad Brach remain with the Orioles, who weren’t satisfied with the offers they received. There were some health concerns over players headed back to the Orioles that apparently nixed a few possible trades.

We have health concerns over every human. 

2 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

A steep price, indeed.

Roch:

Relievers Zach Britton and Brad Brach remain with the Orioles, who weren’t satisfied with the offers they received. There were some health concerns over players headed back to the Orioles that apparently nixed a few possible trades.

High upside damaged goods > Britton for the rest of the year. If health concerns made a guy available thank the lord for the timely injury and get him.

Archived