Thoughts on Buck Showalter continuing as manager after this year?...

alaniee

We are very fortunate to have Buck as manager. I don't see how Baltimore could produce a better option than Buck for the managerial position -- this is not a sought after position within MLB. As others have said, BS brings a lot more positives than negatives. That said, his negatives loom very large at times, and it seems to me there is unwillingness to change on some of those issues - it makes me want to pull my hair out sometimes. At the end of the day, I don't see how Buck could be replaced and Baltimore be better for it.

I would love for Buck to stick around and manage the rebuild if he was committed to seeing it through.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, hoosiers said:

I have two concerns with Buck - not sure either are his responsibility or DD's.

First, where did the evaluations for Jake, Bridwell, and others break down?  Was it DD?  Was it Buck?  Who decided they could be moved or wouldn't work out at the major league level.  These are very costly mistakes.

Second, between DD and BS, who is the chief guy keeping the band together mostly without replacement each year?  Did Buck say - I need Wieters to win, I need Hardy to win.  I can't win without Chris Davis.  We are keeping too many veterans at too high salaries too late into their careers for this run folks call the "Machado window".  This player loyalty has been an issue with BS with past teams, I believe, and had hoped that he would have learned from those past mistakes.  

What I liked about AM was that he was NOT a scout - so he listened to his direct reports and made deals based on input.  I am not sure BS would operate like this, but would go more on his opinion.

The Orioles had absolutely no luck developing young pitchers during the AM era, either. They haven't done very well at it for 20+ years, really. It's a systematic issue that predates DD, BS and AM.

Ah, both are signed till after the 2018 season. Thanks

That is perfect timing. Give them one more year to prove themselves.

Guys, I am not saying Buck Showalter is a bad manager. That isn't the case at all. He's a good manager. He's been great for us. Keyword "been".... I don't see him being great for us last year and this year. There have been SO MANY moves that I have been dumbfounded by and don't understand. Of course I cannot understand Buck Showalter's thinking as he's the only one who can understand himself. He kills us when he leaves Jimenez and/or Tillman in too long. Once they have given up 2/3 runs, THEY ARE FINISHED. Don't put our team further and further behind. Perfect case scenario yesterdays game. Castro came in and did a great job, unfortunately, we were just too far behind 7 runs.

Another case, Jimenez still has good stuff, he doesn't return for the next inning since he is around 100 pitches. SO WHAT, leave him out there until he gets in trouble. It's not like we have the best bullpen this year....

Just so many moves have made me wonder if Buck's time is running out .... The team has declined the last 2-3 years...time for Buck and Dan to prove their worth again to Baltimore... one more year is good timing :-)

7 hours ago, FlipTheBird said:

The Orioles had absolutely no luck developing young pitchers during the AM era, either. They haven't done very well at it for 20+ years, really. It's a systematic issue that predates DD, BS and AM.

By the time you've been on the job for six years, "systemic issues" should have been fixed.   

Of course this will be termed a reactionary post...

Givens loads the bases with 1 out. no change is made. Grand Slam Upton

Of course it's not easy I understand that but we have plenty of relievers. Hit. Hit. Obviously he's not on his stuff tonight. CHANGE THE PITCHER.

Oh well another non-change that makes me wonder. I'm glad Buck and Dan have one year left. It's time for them to prove themselves. They aren't doing it the past 1-2 years. Not even close.

35 minutes ago, alaniee said:

Of course this will be termed a reactionary post...

Givens loads the bases with 1 out. no change is made. Grand Slam Upton

Of course it's not easy I understand that but we have plenty of relievers. Hit. Hit. Obviously he's not on his stuff tonight. CHANGE THE PITCHER.

Oh well another non-change that makes me wonder. I'm glad Buck and Dan have one year left. It's time for them to prove themselves. They aren't doing it the past 1-2 years. Not even close.

My god. How many runs has Givens allowed in the last month? Good grief. 

What a ridiculous topic. Buck will no longer be the manager in Baltimore when Buck no longer wants to be the manager in Baltimore. Sure, he makes some mistakes. Every manager does. But without Buck, this is a ≈ 65 win team. The pitching staff has come apart. Machado is having a down year. We've had a number of injuries throughout the year (sure, so do most teams). Yet, without much organizational depth we're still in the playoff race (admittedly, this is largely due to a very mediocre American League this season). We're likely on our way to about 75-80 wins and we do have a pretty decent shot of getting to .500 again.

8 minutes ago, TINSTAAPP said:

Buck was fired three times and Dan was out of baseball for 10 years before Angelos hired them..........

Next year is the last hurrah. They won't be back if we don't make a deep run IMO.

3 hours ago, alaniee said:

Ah, both are signed till after the 2018 season. Thanks

That is perfect timing. Give them one more year to prove themselves.

Guys, I am not saying Buck Showalter is a bad manager. That isn't the case at all. He's a good manager. He's been great for us. Keyword "been".... I don't see him being great for us last year and this year. There have been SO MANY moves that I have been dumbfounded by and don't understand. Of course I cannot understand Buck Showalter's thinking as he's the only one who can understand himself. He kills us when he leaves Jimenez and/or Tillman in too long. Once they have given up 2/3 runs, THEY ARE FINISHED. Don't put our team further and further behind. Perfect case scenario yesterdays game. Castro came in and did a great job, unfortunately, we were just too far behind 7 runs.

Another case, Jimenez still has good stuff, he doesn't return for the next inning since he is around 100 pitches. SO WHAT, leave him out there until he gets in trouble. It's not like we have the best bullpen this year....

Just so many moves have made me wonder if Buck's time is running out .... The team has declined the last 2-3 years...time for Buck and Dan to prove their worth again to Baltimore... one more year is good timing :-)

I'll ask you what I asked another Buck critic in this thread, and never got an answer:

What record do you think the Orioles should have based on their talent this year?

Buck is subject to second guessing almost every game. Is it enough to replace him when his contract is up?  I'm not sure. He will be put to the test soon when Hardy is ready to come back. I've read Hardy expects to start when he is ready and I heard on the radio an announcer said Buck was quoted saying Hardy would start when he comes back. Tim Beckham looks like the guy in 2008 Tampa made the # 1 pick in the draft. I saw him Wednesday night close up as I was in attendance to see Hellickson's first game.  He looks like a complete player and does it all. He'll make an error once in awhile but so does Machado.  I think he became stagnant in Tampa and with minor league crowds it's easy to understand.how that could happen.  In the postgame tonight Buck seemed to indicate the obvious and said something like Tim's doing it all right now and hitting well.  I think the reason some players hit the lights out of the ball at OP is the green back drop makes it easier to pick up the ball being thrown. This could be the best Oriole pick up in quite some time. A single A pitcher for the #1 player in the draft !  When Pedro Alvarez returns we'll have the #1 and #2 player in the same draft.  

Based on their talent....... We should be where we are.. maybe a few wins less or few wins more.

Buck has cost us a few times. Buck has saved us a few times.

Probably be the same we are with the talent we have and another manager. I don't see Buck making a difference anymore. He just sits there and looks so serious.

Leaders of nowadays realize it's time to change. If you're not with change, you're done.

2 minutes ago, section18 said:

When Pedro Alvarez returns we'll have the #1 and #2 player in the same draft.  

Why hasn't Pedro Alvarez returned as of yet?

Last year he hit 20+ homeruns in limited time. Proven MLBer.

Archived