Fangraphs: Larceny

weams

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/did-the-orioles-steal-tim-beckham/

After acquiring Lucas Duda to take over at DH, the Rays had filled their infield and didn’t have regular at-bats for Beckham anymore, so they shipped him off to Baltimore for an 18-year-old in short-season ball.

Only since that seemingly inconsequential swap, Beckham has been the single best player in baseball, and we have to ask if the Orioles somehow stole a quality shortstop from their division rival.

Discuss.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

I'm still waiting until September to determine whether he is a non-tender candidate.

Unless this is a joke I don't see how you would non tender him. He's cheap under control for 3 years and at worst a better option at UTIF.

It's a good article, but I don't think we "stole" Beckham.     Tobias Myers is a pretty interesting prospect and he's off to a good start in the Tampa system.     I think it's entirely possible that this trade will benefit both teams.

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It's a good article, but I don't think we "stole" Beckham.     Tobias Myers is a pretty interesting prospect and he's off to a good start in the Tampa system.     I think it's entirely possible that this trade will benefit both teams.

How much value will Meyers have to produce 4-10 years from now to be the equivalent of what Beckham will produce in the next 0-3 years?

If, and I know this is a big if, they had kept Beckham and he had gone on a roll like he did with the O's, how many games up in the standings would the Rays be?  By my eyes he's been about as effective as the Rays' entire offense since he was traded.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

How much value will Meyers have to produce 4-10 years from now to be the equivalent of what Beckham will produce in the next 0-3 years?

If, and I know this is a big if, they had kept Beckham and he had gone on a roll like he did with the O's, how many games up in the standings would the Rays be?  By my eyes he's been about as effective as the Rays' entire offense since he was traded.

Pretty close to true.   Post-trade, the Orioles have scored 83 runs and the Rays have scored 26.    Even with Beckham, their offense would look pretty sickly.    

He's been amazing.  Obviously it's a small sample size, but if he legitimately was just a guy that needed a change of scenery and is able to man the SS position for 3 years, that's a pretty amazing and unexpected pickup to fill a giant hole.  I was against the trade at the time but happy to have been wrong (so far).

1 hour ago, NCRaven said:

I am a bit concerned about mental errors that he makes in the field.  The throw to 2B is the most recent example.  If he can stop trying to make things happen that just aren't there, he'll be fine.

I'm concerned about the fact that he can't seem to make the transfer cleanly.  He's had about 4 plays that weren't called errors, because he made frankly a fantastic play to get to the ball, and couldn't make a clean transfer.  Hopefully that's something that can be fixed with coaching.

1 hour ago, NCRaven said:

I am a bit concerned about mental errors that he makes in the field.  The throw to 2B is the most recent example.  If he can stop trying to make things happen that just aren't there, he'll be fine.

I dunno. Maybe I need to go back and watch it again, but it looked like there was a shot at an out and the ball just sailed on him. I'd say more of a physical gaffe and mental (IIRC). 

2 minutes ago, Hallas said:

I'm concerned about the fact that he can't seem to make the transfer cleanly.  He's had about 4 plays that weren't called errors, because he made frankly a fantastic play to get to the ball, and couldn't make a clean transfer.  Hopefully that's something that can be fixed with coaching.

My thoughts also. 

It is certainly way too early but the sss on Beckham is pretty sweet for the O's.  I think to be fair to his play at SS we forget that we got a better defensive SS and a better hitter in Hardy than we thought we were getting at the time.  He had some inconsistency issues of his own prior to arriving in Baltimore.  That doesn't mean that Beckham is gonna win the next 3 Gold Gloves or anything, but let's also not forget that he has mad physical skills and there is in my opinion a tremendous amount of upside in Beckham.  

Of course maybe he that doesn't happen and we can release him...he's pretty cheap.  But I will go out on a limb and say he is tendered a contract for next year anyway.

Archived