Pinch Hit Jones for Davis in 9th?

Pat Kelly

PHIng for Davis is the right move as it either forces SEA to pull the LH or improves the odds for the Os.   Tough lefty is a legitimate reason to PH for CD.  Puts pressure back on SEA.  

You have a great opportunity with a resting Jones on the bench and he is a legit PH for Davis in that situation - as opposed to Castillo or someone like Rickard( had he been on the bench.)   I can sorta agree that token RH hitter for Davis is a tougher sell.   But with Jones Buck would PH for him with one of the best Os hitters (of all time) who in 2017 is batting .380ish with RISP!    

Lefty on lefty against a struggling lefty hitter is a "I don't want to bruise any egos move" and sorry Buck it was the wrong statistical move and wrong leadership move.   If you truly want to win this thing these type of moves have to be considered and made.  The only way this will be justified if Davis goes on a 2 week HR tear to vault Os to WC lead (all because Buck continues to have faith in him and CD keeps his confidence- boy that feels like a foolish statement even as I write it!)

I agree, assuming Jones was healthy enough to bat.  Once they brought the lefty in, Jones should have been in there.

Given that he's fouled about 3 balls off his legs/feet in the past 4 days, it's very possible this was more than just a day off. 

It would help the offense and take some pressure of everyone if Davis could regain some mojo.   For now has to treat him like an opportunistic /mistake hitter who cannot be counted on in the clutch.   He's never been a great option against LHP unless he is hot.  A hobbled Jones is still a better option unless he was unable to walk.

The radio announcers discussed it and said that Davis was 3 for 10 lifetime against Rzepcinski while Jones was 1 for 6.     Castillo wasn't discussed.    

Despite those micro-stats against this one pitcher, I would have gone with the RHB there.   

19 minutes ago, $Greatness$ said:

161 million reasons ladies and gentlemen. 161 reasons! :(

Yup, there was zero percent chance Buck would of sent in Jones or anyone else in for Davis. Buck had Hardy in the leadoff spot with a .280 or so OBP. He's a players manager. For all of Buck's strengths, being extremely loyal can be his weakness. We have already seen that countless times with keeping a starter in the game too long. Add Davis overall "track record", his contract, and having collected 2 hits already, he wasn't coming out the game.

At some point though, and with time running out on the seaosn, Buck may have to pinch hit for Davis against a lefty in a big spot. We have seen him move Davis down the lineup. Maybe there will be a day he will PH for him, but today wansn't that day. But if strike 3 down the middle looking keeps happening, Buck will have no choice.

These are the types of non moves old school managers make.

We are not nearly a good enough team to overcome bad managerial decisions and a reliance on placating egos as opposed to giving ourselves the best chance to win when the situation arises.

Buck just never does learn and every time we think he's changing, he lets us down.

I'm glad I didn't see him take strike three down the center of the plate with two outs and the bases loaded. I might have destroyed my TV.  I think PA should require Davis to undergo a major eye examination on Thursday.  I had it done one time for a possible cataract and it can unveil a lot about your vision.  Maybe he has a cataract in his right eye and just isn't seeing the ball properly.  If that's the case they can shut him down for awhile and have surgery. I had it done and it was like a miracle how much my vision improved.  I think if we shut Davis, Ubaldo, Miley and Hardy down the rest of the season we might have a longshot chance to make the playoffs. Find a reason Buck! Any reason to put them on the injured list or move Ubaldo and Miley in small deals. Bring back Miguel Gonzalez. Batting AJ for Davis in the 9th would have been the right move in my opinion but would never happen with Buck.  Too many fragile egos in the dugout. I asked a friend if there were any unusual looks from the dugout after he stood and looked at strike three and was told the camera showed Manny and Schoop looking at him like what?????

Archived