Very tempting to DH Santander vs righties

wildcard

Trumbo has a 712 OPS vs righties.  Santander has a 1507  OPS vs righties at AA,  

The O's only had two left-handed hitters on the roster - Davis and Smith.    Now they add Santander as a switch hitter.   I might have to see what he can do vs righties.

Flaherty is a lefty also but that will not get him the lineup that includes Manny, Schoop and Beckham.

i agree that Buck will use Tillman to push Bundy back a day or so.     But he did put Tillman in the pen when Tillman kept losing in the rotation.

I know Buck likes his veterans.  And you and Roch may be right that Santander just sits.   But I still think its tempting to give him some playing time at DH with Trumbo struggling.  After all the O's are still trying to win games.

14 minutes ago, TINSTAAPP said:

The Orioles should play him every day. What do the Orioles have to lose at this point? They're not going to make the playoffs and Trumbo and Smith have little to no future with the team. Let's see what we have.

Trumbo isn't going anywhere. He is here for 2 more years. 

5 hours ago, wildcard said:

Trumbo has a 712 OPS vs righties.  Santander has a 1507  OPS vs righties at AA,  

The O's only had two left-handed hitters on the roster - Davis and Smith.    Now they add Santander as a switch hitter.   I might have to see what he can do vs righties.

Flaherty is a lefty also but that will not get him the lineup that includes Manny, Schoop and Beckham.

I agree, but Buck has a weird fascination with Trumbo.  Trumbo will remain an everyday player at least until the end of the season. 

9 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Point of the thread is that Trumbo stinks. Add that to Davis, and there goes our top notch offense. We'd be a better team next year with 

Mancini 1B

Smith DH

Santander/in LF

Hays in RF

Rickard as 4th OF

Yes we would, but no one is taking the remainder of Davis' contract.  Even with some salary relief (or at least, the relatively small percentage I'd expect Angelos would agree to pick up).  Maybe we can trade Trumbo for a low level minor leaguers and comparatively smaller salary relief.

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Point of the thread is that Trumbo stinks. Add that to Davis, and there goes our top notch offense. We'd be a better team next year with 

Mancini 1B

Smith DH

Santander/in LF

Hays in RF

Rickard as 4th OF

Perhaps Trumbo bounces back next year. I don't see another 2016 but something around 30-35 Hr's. I don't see them benching him until mid 2019 at the earliest.  

I am glad we have Santander but let's slow down that he is ready to come up here and produce. It will be nice next year for him to have a full year in our system.  

A big difference between Buck and Earl. Earl used everybody, some of them in a specialized role that Earl seemed to think up. I'm sure Earl's regulars got annoyed at times, but that was the way it worked. A guy who wasn't being used at all was likely to be replaced by a guy who would. (I don't recall Earl ever having non-productive, big-contract guys like David and Trumbo, but if he did I bet he'd do something other than run them out there every day, batting back-to-back.)

One problem with Buck's approach is that if you sit a guy like Trumbo it's like telling him, "You've been lousy lately, and you're being benched for a game or two" or announcing to the team, and to the world, "I've given up on this season and want to look at our younger players."

Long before this day off in the schedule, I thought Mancini and Schoop could use some rest. I'm not a big admirer of Flaherty, but at least he creates an option of resting an IFer now and then against RHers.

15 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

A big difference between Buck and Earl. Earl used everybody, some of them in a specialized role that Earl seemed to think up. I'm sure Earl's regulars got annoyed at times, but that was the way it worked. A guy who wasn't being used at all was likely to be replaced by a guy who would. (I don't recall Earl ever having non-productive, big-contract guys like David and Trumbo, but if he did I bet he'd do something other than run them out there every day, batting back-to-back.)

One problem with Buck's approach is that if you sit a guy like Trumbo it's like telling him, "You've been lousy lately, and you're being benched for a game or two" or announcing to the team, and to the world, "I've given up on this season and want to look at our younger players."

Long before this day off in the schedule, I thought Mancini and Schoop could use some rest. I'm not a big admirer of Flaherty, but at least he creates an option of resting an IFer now and then against RHers.

Would it work that way now? 

Archived