Serious question: would hypnosis help Chris Davis?

Frobby

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, NashLumber said:

Davis maybe has the batting equivalent of Yips?

Btw, I have no idea of the effectiveness of hypnosis in sports, but I do know it helped Robbie Robertson overcome stage fright and a fever at their first ever show as The Band. 

And stage fright forced Anthony Philips out of Genesis.

6 hours ago, bpilktree said:

That does not mean that his bat speed has slowed down.  He is just not identifying the pitch well enough and looking at lots of them.  When he is seeing it well he can sit back and go opposite field on the pitch or turn on it if it is inside.  right now he is tentative and not sure what the pitch is so he looses that tenth of a second.  

Or, it could be bat speed. Leaving out the math already noted, there were plenty of comps before the contract was signed indicating a TTO hitter would not age well. We may very well be witnessing his demise earlier than expected.

1 minute ago, Il BuonO said:

Or, it could be bat speed. Leaving out the math already noted, there were plenty of comps before the contract was signed indicating a TTO hitter would not age well. We may very well be witnessing his demise earlier than expected.

He started using a heavier bat in 2012 correct?

Maybe it's time he went back to a lighter one.

1 hour ago, interloper said:

In all seriousness though, I think hypnosis is a perfectly valid and potentially helpful thing to try on Chris Davis. At the very least he should be seeing a sports psychologist. 

Seeing a sports psychologist makes a lot of sense.

8 hours ago, bpilktree said:

That does not mean that his bat speed has slowed down.  He is just not identifying the pitch well enough and looking at lots of them.  When he is seeing it well he can sit back and go opposite field on the pitch or turn on it if it is inside.  right now he is tentative and not sure what the pitch is so he looses that tenth of a second.  

And that's why I wondered about his eyesight in another thread yesterday.

10 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I'd try a witch doctor, a shaman, a priest (exorcist), a christian scientist or anything else at this point. The guy is losing us ball games. It's not that I think this team is a playoff team, I don't, but he's become an absolute albatross with Buck insistence of batting him in the middle of the order and not pinch hitting him in key situations late in games with a clearly better options available.  

Let's face it, Adderall free Davis is not good.

Why did he stop Adderall?  I thought he had an exemption for it from his doctor?

I don't mean to come across as not being sympathetic to CD's mental situation, but it just seems a really risky (some may say dumb) decision by the O's front office to sign a player with ADD to such a huge and lengthy contract.  I hope the best for Chris.

22 hours ago, Tx Oriole said:

I don't know about that. Is this just a lost season for him? Wasn't there a catcher for the Mets that couldn't throw the ball back to the pitcher? Mackey Sasser? Not sure if he is the right one I am thinking about?

I remember Chuck Knoblauch having an issue zinging the ball over the first basemen's head. The same thing happened to me playing softball nearly 20 years ago. I played 2B and many times would either overthrow the first baseman or throw it in the dirt. Needless to say I wasn't aiming for a career in baseball, so I didn't pursue any sports psychology. I am pretty sure it was all mental because I was fine throwing from the outfield and I think it was entirely because there was less pressure to be accurate due to the long distance. For me I think it was a nerves/confidence issue. I haven't played any organized ball in a long time, but it still takes me awhile to warm up while having a catch with someone.

23 hours ago, Tx Oriole said:

I don't know about that. Is this just a lost season for him? Wasn't there a catcher for the Mets that couldn't throw the ball back to the pitcher? Mackey Sasser? Not sure if he is the right one I am thinking about?

Yes, Mackey Sasser did have "the yips". This excerpt details a few cases of it in the MLB:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yips#In_baseball

On August 17, 2017 at 8:32 AM, Roll Tide said:

He's not injured or he wouldn't be playing. The Adderall issue tells you that he has a focus problem at very least. This problem is MLBs in my opinion. I think it sucks that they allowed him to use it and then. Pulled the exemption after the performances produced that albatross type contract.

Physical could be an issue with the ? Maybe he doesn't know the pitch was thrown until he hears it hit the glove, it certainly looks that way on television. 

Archived