What is the Most $$ the O's SHOULD Offer Manny?

TonySoprano

Today, I'm feeling omnipotent, and have appointed you the Orioles GM with an open checkbook.     As GM, what is the final offer you think the Orioles should make in order to re-sign Manny?  Consider this a separate discussion from what you think will happen, which is well covered elsewhere.  

All I want to know is the amount on the blank check and for how many years.  How big of a check would you write before you say "too rich for my blood?"  Go on the record.

(Mods - I made this a separate thread for now to keep it from being buried in other Manny threads to see how many specific responses it will generate.  Your call when it has run its course.)

It will never happen but we've surrounded Manny with guys he likes and if they bring Miguel Gonzalez back it will be even better.  8 years and two hundred twenty million or $27.5 million per season. He has more money now than he knows what to do with and this huge increase from $11.5 million to $27.5 million will  make this 25 year old wonder what am I going to do with all of this money? Not sure if players are getting paid over 12 calendar months or during the baseball season 6 months. If calendar months we are talking about 2.75 million per month as opposed to almost a million a month currently. None of us can relate to this huge sum of money and I'm sure he'll have relatives coming out of the woodwork he never knew about asking for assistance.  Hopefully he'll think this decision out rationally and say I don't want to leave my friends.

$0 - the Orioles should trade Machado and anybody else who can bring a good SP. Just doesn't matter how many runs you score if you can't stop the other team - this weekend was exhibit A. Yes you'll blow huge holes in the lineup and maybe the bullpen but those can be filled a lot easier than the holes in the starting rotation which is really just one big hole at this point. 

9 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

And NY says 375/10. 

And you say good bye. As good as Trout has been he still has zero rings. Stanton was at one time the highest paid and zero rings. Kershaw...the same. 

I don't want to take anything away from Manny but it takes more than one guy in baseball. 

Back in track though, I would offer 10 at 25 million, with incentives of 2.5 million per MVP, and a lesser amount for GG's. After they shoot you down I would move him as soon as possible this off season.

I would offer something like 8 years at 31 a year with an opt out after 5 years. If he won't sign this offseason for something in that range they really have to trade him. If he's going to hold out for the biggest contract in baseball then the Os need to get as much as they can in a trade. They can always bid on him again when he's a free agent. 

Archived