What Trades Will the Orioles Make?

weams

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Hmmmm (scratching chin emoji). If only the O's were on his list. :(

Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports reports that Jeff Samardzija has cleared revocable waivers, but the chances for a trade "are unclear, at best."

There are numerous obstacles to a trade of Samardzija, with his no-trade clause that allows him to be dealt only to eight teams -- the Yankees, Mets, Dodgers, Angels, Nats, A’s, Cubs and Red Sox -- chief among them. The pitcher has said that it's unlikely he'd waive the no-trade clause to go to any other club. There's also the fact that the Giants "aren’t seen as likely to do a complete rebuild," according to Heyman, and Samardzija would figure to be a key part of them trying to compete in 2018. He's owed about $58 million through 2020.

We must not be interested if we let him go.

9 minutes ago, weams said:

A catcher is coming up on Sept 1

Just to be a contrarian, why is it written in stone that we must have a third catcher once rosters expand?    We've split the catching duties very evenly between Castillo and Joseph, so they both should be relatively fresh through September.    What's the third catcher for, to play the 8th/9th innings of any blowouts?

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Just to be a contrarian, why is it written in stone that we must have a third catcher once rosters expand?    We've split the catching duties very evenly between Castillo and Joseph, so they both should be relatively fresh through September.    What's the third catcher for, to play the 8th/9th innings of any blowouts?

The answer is possible injuries to your catchers and flexibility with the DH spot.

When you can have 40 players, why would you NOT want to have a third catcher? 

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

This is 100% correct. The moves we make in expanding should be to help the club as well as take a look at prospects.  But for all those who realize the Orioles are still in the thick of it, there is next to no chance (It really never gets old) that Sisco is catching a game UNLESS we somehow lose Beef or Caleb.

And why would we trade for another mediocre pitcher?  We literally have a boatload of em.  Frankly Ubaldo has just as much likelihood of throwing a gem as Gonzo.  Gonzo would be great if free, so sure I would do it.  And IF Verlander is available I would kick the tires.  But I do not see why we would give up a future piece unless it would be for someone who could sit atop the rotation.  Id really just as soon run one of the guys we have to decide on and see how it goes.  Am I really the only one that thinks that?  Is there anyone who really thinks that Gonzo is the missing link?  Hell, we have folks on here who think getting Andrew Miller was an absolute waste. THAT was at least going for it.  

I am as positive as anyone here about our chances while acknowledging that the road is still a tough one.  But Im not giving anything up for more of the same.

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

When rosters expand, I believe it's a good idea to have a third catcher.  It gives Buck more freedom to pinch hit, pinch run for Castillo/Joseph earlier in games than he would typically without the insurance of a backup catcher.

You can also DH Castillo against lefties without killing the DH if Joseph gets hurt/ejected.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

First off Buck has a boss and Buck is only under contract for one more year.

Secondly much has been made of improved numbers he has throwing from the begining of the season until now.

Sisco would not be the worst throwing catcher in the league if he got promoted tomorrow.

And hey!  Thanks for calling me smart.  :D

Sincere question - I note that because of the sarcastic comments exchanged over RM - why is it people believe Siscos arm can improve but not Ryan's? Is it more working on quickness of release than actual arm strength? There are more factors that can help a catcher get the ball to 2nd than can help an infielder get the ball to first. 

Just now, backwardsk said:

When rosters expand, I believe it's a good idea to have a third catcher.  It gives Buck more freedom to pinch hit, pinch run for Castillo/Joseph earlier in games than he would typically without the insurance of a backup catcher.

You can also DH Castillo against lefties without killing the DH if Joseph gets hurt/ejected.

I would get a kick out of seeing Joseph ejected. Although not if Castillo is DHing that day. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I think we need to stop constantly revisiting these old trades in threads that are about current/future events.    I hated the Davies trade, but that's got nothing to do with whether we will or should make any trades now.   

I've enacted a moratorium on myself! I have made my opinions known, but I don't care to convince anyone else of their legitimacy - they're just opinions and my opinions on those deals don't bring anything positive. Brighter folks than myself (everyone here) disagree, rather than agree to disagree - I'm going to agree that Dan has done his best, we've had a lot of great baseball to enjoy, & the future ain't looking too shabby either. That's what matters. 

Lets go O's! 

#WGWTFA

Archived