What Trades Will the Orioles Make?

weams

33 minutes ago, Cumberbundy said:

Sincere question - I note that because of the sarcastic comments exchanged over RM - why is it people believe Siscos arm can improve but not Ryan's? Is it more working on quickness of release than actual arm strength? There are more factors that can help a catcher get the ball to 2nd than can help an infielder get the ball to first. 

From my understanding it is because in Mountcastle's case arm strength is the issue and in Sisco's case it is his mechanics (footwork and release).

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

The answer is possible injuries to your catchers and flexibility with the DH spot.

When you can have 40 players, why would you NOT want to have a third catcher? 

Also, if we're up 10-0 in the 4th inning, give Well and Caleb a rest.  Even if they're both under 100 games, catching is hard work.  

Hmm... cancel that unless Bundy's pitching. :)

Hindsight 20/20 and all that, but you can't help but wonder where the Os would be right now if DD hadn't dumped Gonzo. Gotta figure that even conservatively he'd have been good for 2-3 more wins thus far, and Ubaldo and/or Tillman wouldn't have had to been run out there ad nauseam for lack of any other option. 

I have to think bringing him back may buy an extra win down the stretch and that could be huge. 

1 hour ago, Tbone83 said:

Hindsight 20/20 and all that, but you can't help but wonder where the Os would be right now if DD hadn't dumped Gonzo. Gotta figure that even conservatively he'd have been good for 2-3 more wins thus far, and Ubaldo and/or Tillman wouldn't have had to been run out there ad nauseam for lack of any other option. 

I have to think bringing him back may buy an extra win down the stretch and that could be huge. 

One win could mean the difference of getting into the postseason or not...as we trot out the bottom 3 of our 6 regularly, we must do better or don't deserve to be there.  If Miggy can be acquired for scraps like Hellickson was, it should happen. The White Sox are playing (losing) for draft position right now so they should be elated to shed some salary and "move up" towards getting the first pick in next year's draft.

I wonder how Gonzo would feel about returning here.  He surely was unhappy about the way his tenure in Baltimore ended.  I guess he wouldn't have any choice if the ChiSox traded him here, but if there is bad blood between Gonzo and the Orioles' organization, there could be trouble in the clubhouse.  

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

From my understanding it is because in Mountcastle's case arm strength is the issue and in Sisco's case it is his mechanics (footwork and release).

Oh, I thought Siscos arm strength was an issue. I thought that's what I had read but if that's not the case then no way we move him.

Thank you.", Coc!

8 hours ago, pocketRIPKENS said:

Lets start by throwing out the Verlander and Samarjda talk. Verlander isn't coming here. For one, his girl hates Camden- if you remember everyone taking selfies with her in background. She watched entire game with a shield up. Secondly, Orioles aren't covering the 65+ million owned on rest of that back loaded 7 yr/180M deal (currently midway thru 5th year). Even if Tigers softened stance on financial cash help in the deal, I still think it would cost too much- AND he has a no trade clause, and would likely be a punk anyway. VERLANDER IS OUT!!!! Having said all that, he's pitching well, his arm would serve us well.

Its simple with Samardja, he would GET ROCKED IN AL EAST! ROCKED!!!! Don't want him.

That brings us to one of my favorite low radar Orioles of all time, the gritty, Miguel Gonzalez. Put aside the fact he is lights out in last 4 starts, this guy is a gamer. Always has been. His walks are down and has always relied on contact, but he has also been making guys miss at one of his highest rates all year. He loves a stellar defense behind him, that is why he is a perfect fit here with Baltimore, once again. This guy actually cares about winning games, you can see it in every AB and every pitch he throws. I would send him out 1000% over the likes of Tillman and Ubaldo. I can't stand to watch the slumpy, falling off mound lazy ass Tillman pitch another game. Guy has NO HEART. Miguel will bolster this rotation and give us gutsy starts- especially against the likes of New York Yankees, who he absolutely owns. GO GET HIM NOW!!!!

So Samardja will get rocked, but Miggy won't?  I don't get it, why would a guy who has a 8.9K/9 and a 1.3BB/9 would get rocked more than a guy with a 5.6K/9 and a 3.2BB/9.  Samardja has thrown 200+ innings the past 4 years and will most likely get there again this year.  He's been a better than average SP each year, if we can get him we should (he's said he may use his no-trade clause).  That's the kind of guy who can help stabilize a rotation.

3 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

So Samardja will get rocked, but Miggy won't?  I don't get it, why would a guy who has a 8.9K/9 and a 1.3BB/9 would get rocked more than a guy with a 5.6K/9 and a 3.2BB/9.  Samardja has thrown 200+ innings the past 4 years and will most likely get there again this year.  He's been a better than average SP each year, if we can get him we should (he's said he may use his no-trade clause).  That's the kind of guy who can help stabilize a rotation.

I agree. 

3 hours ago, tntoriole said:

Nothing will come cheap.  Just Google "trade for pitching help"  and several pages with recent articles detailing at least 10 different teams looking for that elusive veteran starting pitcher for stretch. 

Depends on what you mean by cheap, if guys are clearing revocable waivers, that means no one claimed them (aka willing to take on their salary if the team let the player go for no prospect return).  So the cost in prospects would be minimal, but the cost in taking on salary would be large.

5 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

Depends on what you mean by cheap, if guys are clearing revocable waivers, that means no one claimed them (aka willing to take on their salary if the team let the player go for no prospect return).  So the cost in prospects would be minimal, but the cost in taking on salary would be large.

The more teams competing, the better the prospects and dollars will have to be.  We are not the best at either. 

Archived