We should move to the NL East

FanSince88

I don't think there is any chance this team ever develops or acquires a decent pitching staff unless we move out of our division.  No SP in their right mind wants to face the NYY and Sox 40 games out of the season in three of the most hitter-friendly ballparks in the game and with a DH.  Especially when we aren't paying anywhere close to top dollar for pitchers.  

I wonder if the Braves or Marlins would want to swap divisions.  The Braves have a very expensive new ballpark they need to finance, and they could use the excitement of the Sox or Yanks coming to visit several times per year.  Us playing the Nats for 20 games instead of 4 could hugely benefit attendance at both ballparks.  

In my opinion, the last 5 years have been a blip.  Over the long haul, it is very difficult if not impossible for a mid-market team like ours to compete in the AL East.  We'd have a much better chance at contending for the playoffs in the NL East.  

We are on the cusp of becoming the perennial Yanks and Sox pinata again (especially when you look at the well stocked minor leagues of those teams compared to ours), and I don't think this franchise can survive another decade-plus of constant humiliation.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

o

The A.L. East is perennially the toughest (or one of the toughest) division in baseball, and I have no problem with the fact that the Orioles are in it.

When legendary long-distance runner Bob Kennedy was in his prime back in the mid-to-late 90's, there was some talk about the possibility of trying to limit the number of Kenyans entered in International marathons and/or International track and field meets that were held within the United States to try to give the (at that time) very ailing American distance runners a better chance of winning and/or finishing in the Top 5 of said races.

When asked about it, Kennedy replied ...... "No way. I don't want any special favors, or any handicaps. Regarding the Kenyans, I want to train with them, I want to race against them, and I want to beat them fair and square. And if I can't beat them, I will know that I tried my best with no special favors/handicaps given to me."

o

As I posted in the Nats thread today, this season the Nats will have played only 49 games all year against teams with a winning record.    Here's how their season ends: 13 games against Atlanta, NY Mets, Philadelphia and Pittsburgh.    Tough life.

Well......the Red Sox and Yankees certainly have never had problems signing starters to play  in the AL East. 

This is overblown.  If you pay them.  They come. 

I'm all for restructuring the divisions, but that's another conversation.  I would have us in the Southeast Division:  Orioles, Nationals, Braves, Marlins, Rays. 

12 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Well......the Red Sox and Yankees certainly have never had problems signing starters to play  in the AL East. 

This is overblown.  If you pay them.  They come. 

I'm all for restructuring the divisions, but that's another conversation.  I would have us in the Southeast Division:  Orioles, Nationals, Braves, Marlins, Rays. 

We aren't the Yankees and Red Sox, most teams aren't. 

2 hours ago, FanSince88 said:

We should have done it years ago.  Like in 2002 or something.  Then we may not have had that godawful stretch of losing baseball.  

I wouldn't care. I'll always cheer for the O's wether the team moves yo the NL or AL Central I'll always be an O's fan. Been a fan nearly 60 years. I could never stop being a fan. 

3 minutes ago, joelala said:

Our division is not the reason for our pitching woes.  See: Tampa Bay.  They have far less money than we do, and they have been capable of finding good pitchers.  It's not the division, its our development of pitchers. 

That's the truth. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

As I posted in the Nats thread today, this season the Nats will have played only 49 games all year against teams with a winning record.    Here's how their season ends: 13 games against Atlanta, NY Mets, Philadelphia and Pittsburgh.    Tough life.

Just one more reason why the unbalanced schedule is ridiculous. Teams competing for the same playoff spots are sometimes playing far different schedules. 

If MLB can't find a balanced schedule with its current alignment, it needs to realign.

Archived