Right Now, I Hate Baseball.

ORIOLE33

3 hours ago, Reboulet'sStache said:

Yes, it's been fairly recently that the Yankees have gotten their act together.  But the reason why they went "20 years with a bad farm system" and turned it into an elite farm system so quickly, and the reason why they went from an old team with horrible contracts to a young team with a ton of money coming off the books soon, is because they did everything right in a short amount of years.  That's all baseball takes.  Selling high over a span of just a few years, and drafting well over those few years.  Avoid dumb contracts.  And welcome to the world of contenders.  Most teams just aren't well run.

I agree with a ton of what you say here. I just think Cashman had more resources than the typical GM to pull that off. 

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Reboulet'sStache said:

Yes, it's been fairly recently that the Yankees have gotten their act together.  But the reason why they went "20 years with a bad farm system" and turned it into an elite farm system so quickly, and the reason why they went from an old team with horrible contracts to a young team with a ton of money coming off the books soon, is because they did everything right in a short amount of years.  That's all baseball takes.  Selling high over a span of just a few years, and drafting well over those few years.  Avoid dumb contracts.  And welcome to the world of contenders.  Most teams just aren't well run.

I think this is an oversimplification.   The Yankees had the resources to sign Chapman, Miller, Beltran and McCann, along with a host of other players they held on to.   Simply put, they had more good assets available to sell than most teams, because they'd had the cash to buy those assets in the first place. They did execute their sale strategy extremely well, no doubt about it.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I think this is an oversimplification.   The Yankees had the resources to sign Chapman, Miller, Beltran and McCann, along with a host of other players they held on to.   Simply put, they had more good assets available to sell than most teams, because they'd had the cash to buy those assets in the first place. They did execute their sale strategy extremely well, no doubt about it.

Plus I would argue that the success of their sale strategy had as much to do with fortunate timing and circumstance as it did foresight and planning.

On 10/16/2017 at 12:19 PM, Reboulet'sStache said:

I see others have taken shots at this, sand I'll tryb not to repeat what they've said. I think that this post, like the national media,  have understated the extent to which the NYYs have built this team by succeeding in methods that are available to all ML teams.

First, there are numerous ways in which the NYYs spend money that most teams can't duplicate. They can sign expensive international players (like Sanchez) and lots of promising  but cheaper international talent in the hope that a few will pan out (like Severino). From all appearances, they spend more on scouting and player development, including an international system and their minor league system, than most if not all other teams. They don't have to rush guys with potential to the big-league team, and can play young guys with lower risk, because they know that if they develop slowly or don't work out they can buy (or rent) established players to replace them. And most important, IMO,, when they develop young stars they can be pretty confident they can retain those stars, if they want to, via risky extensions or by outbidding everyone else when they reach free agency. They can even rent out valuable players and then outbid them when they become free agents, as they did with Chapman.

The NYYs, and in large part the Dodgers and RSox, are able to build their teams differently from other clubs.

All that's not to deny that the NYYs have been both good and lucky in building the 2017 team, but their resources do give them advantages in doing that.

Second, what we're seeing may be just a quick shift in tactics rather than a strategic change. The NYYs'  principal owner -- though not the most credible source -- has said repeatedly that the NYYs backed off the free-agent markets because they are focused on getting their payroll below the luxury tax threshold in 2018, significantly reducing the tax they will pay for exceeding that threshold in succeeding years. After next year, expect the NYYs to be very active in the free-agent market and in extending their young players, as well as continuing to spend more than anyone in ways that don't show up in their ML payroll. 

6 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

REMINDER:

The first pitch for the pivotal Game Five of the League Championship Series between the Astros and the Yankees is in 2 hours.

o

o

By the way ........ the one-two punch of Dallas Keuchel and Justin Verlander atop the Astros' starting rotation is mildly reminiscent of when the Diamondbacks had a one-two punch of Randy Johnson And Curt Schilling atop their starting rotation when they played the Yankees in a Best-of-7 postseason series back in 2001.

o

16 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

That's a really good approach, which I will try to follow. I don't expect to succeed, though.

If I learn the Yankees are within an inning of losing a lopsided game, I will probably turn it on in the hopes of some momentary schadenfreude.    Otherwise, the mere fact that they are still playing pains me to no end.

2 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

REMINDER:

The first pitch for the pivotal Game Five of the League Championship Series between the Astros and the Yankees is in 2 hours.

o

I am going to be so pissed if the damn Yankees win. Watch it be the damn Yankees and Dodgers in the WS. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

If I learn the Yankees are within an inning of losing a lopsided game, I will probably turn it on in the hopes of some momentary schadenfreude.    Otherwise, the mere fact that they are still playing pains me to no end.

Me too Frobby. I don't hate them but I do have a strong dislike for them now.

Archived