Manager Movement

weams

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

So yea, Kapler.

Can someone explain calling in a reliever that you hadn't given a chance to warm up?

https://deadspin.com/gabe-kaplers-cosmic-brain-is-putting-the-phillies-in-so-1824241350

I'm worried he's going to get someone hurt.

He's already had to use a position player as a pitcher.

Bureaucratic details. Just play hard baby!

More Kapler.

This week it is defensive alignment issues.

He brought the right fielder in shallow with a 20 MPH wind blowing out.

To depend on the wind to push the ball around there was not what we were optimizing for,” Kapler said. “We’re optimizing to take the away the ball in front of us and we’re not thinking about getting beat by slug power or extra bases in those situations.

On 10/30/2017 at 8:36 PM, El Gordo said:

Pretty hard for a non former player to get clubhouse respect. Think Dave Trembley.

Dave Trembley, the man who was a manager in the minors for 20 years? The problem with the Orioles was that they disrespected him because he wasn't a pro player, huh? The Orioles problems couldn't have been the horrendous starting  pitching of Brian Burress, Garrett Olson, Daniel Cabrera or Jason Berken.  The terrible relief pitching of Michael Gonzalez, Jamie Walker and Danys Baez had no impact on the team that couldn't have been overcome had they been led by a manager who played. Couldn't have had anything to do with starting the single worst defensive catcher in the history of the Baltimore Orioles franchise, Ramon Hernandez? Didn't have anything to do with the team relying on the offensive contributions of Jay Payton, Garrett Atkins and Ty Wigginton? Kevin Millar? Brandon Fahey and Robert Andino? Guillermo Quiroz, Juan Castro, Alex Cintron and Freddie Bynum would have lead the team to challenge for the AL East title if only they had respect for the manager?

David Laurila: Were there any clubhouse issues during your time in Baltimore?
Dave Trembley: No. I don't think there were any issues in the clubhouse. I treated the guys with respect and they treated me with respect.
DL: In the opinion of some Orioles fans, the team wasn't playing hard for you in the end. Is that a fair criticism?
DT: People told me that, and I think that what was happening toward the end, with the players, is what I alluded to earlier. The players were waiting for something to happen. It was either fish or cut bait. Either Dave Trembley is going to be the manager here, so we can put that behind us and move on, or let's make a change and give us a new manager. I think that's what happened at the end.

"Dave has been a great guy," third baseman Miguel Tejada said. "He respected everybody, gave everybody an opportunity to speak. I'm sorry for him because he's a great man in and outside the room."

Starting pitcher Kevin Millwood said, "It (stinks) that we as a team didn't play well and he takes the fall for it. In some ways, we have to feel somewhat responsible."

"This is a negative reflection on the entire baseball operations department, starting with me," MacPhail said. "Nobody believes the reason we have the record we have is somehow Dave Trembley's fault or that making this change is going to magically solve all the issues and problems we have.

Sure the suckful, poisonous crybaby Ramon Hernandez disrespected Trembley. As did the over-the-hill Melvin Mora try to lay blame for his dramatic decline to unproductive batter on the manager in the media in his next to last month on an Orioles uniform. I don't remember Guthrie, Markakis or Roberts complaining in the press.

. As long as (Trembley) has the respect of his players and has his team ready to play, I'm not going to call for a guy's firing by overscrutinizing every little decision.
-- Paul Folk April, 8, 2010

This is how DT (Trembley) handles things. When Tejada didn't want to show up on time and stretch with the team, DT called him into the office and said what gives. Miggi said he wanted to come late and stretch at home, DT said fine but you won't start that day. Miggi complained and DT called a team meeting and asked everyone how they felt about Miggi not stretching with the team. Needless to say Miggyi stopped coming late and he stretched with the team.That may not be your style, but it works for DT and my guess is most of his players respect him. Benching a guy is akin to outing him for the public's benifit and it may be counterproductive.
-- El Gordo August, 9, 2009

1 hour ago, Beef Supreme said:

Dave Trembley, the man who was a manager in the minors for 20 years? The problem with the Orioles was that they disrespected him because he wasn't a pro player, huh? The Orioles problems couldn't have been the horrendous starting  pitching of Brian Burress, Garrett Olson, Daniel Cabrera or Jason Berken.  The terrible relief pitching of Michael Gonzalez, Jamie Walker and Danys Baez had no impact on the team that couldn't have been overcome had they been led by a manager who played. Couldn't have had anything to do with starting the single worst defensive catcher in the history of the Baltimore Orioles franchise, Ramon Hernandez? Didn't have anything to do with the team relying on the offensive contributions of Jay Payton, Garrett Atkins and Ty Wigginton? Kevin Millar? Brandon Fahey and Robert Andino? Guillermo Quiroz, Juan Castro, Alex Cintron and Freddie Bynum would have lead the team to challenge for the AL East title if only they had respect for the manager?

Sure the suckful, poisonous crybaby Ramon Hernandez disrespected Trembley. As did the over-the-hill Melvin Mora try to lay blame for his dramatic decline to unproductive batter on the manager in the media in his next to last month on an Orioles uniform. I don't remember Guthrie, Markakis or Roberts complaining in the press.

Don't believe everything they say in interviews. He's gonna say yes I lost the team? The players are gonna say no we couldn't take him seriously? What happens in the clubhouse stays in the clubhouse . He lost the team. That's not why they were bad but so what?

Archived