Orioles Will Face Tough Decision On Adam Jones After 2018 Season

PressBoxOnline

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Better than -.6 rWAR?

I'm sure they did.

Joe "Warmbody" Smith.

Mancini for instance.

Anyway, I was asking if you would have kept Trumbo on the roster.

There are arguments to be made that if Trumbo and/or Davis were on cheap contracts they would have been replaced.   But either one or both have the history that shows they could have a good year next year.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think of Gonzo and Chen as just being free agent acquisitions.  Same with Koji.  I don't care what league they played in last year.

I don't think signing someone that has been in the KBO for a decade as an "International signing" it's a free agent signing.

Even with the large Latino population of players in the organization, most of those are like Manny, drafted and into the minors. So they dont count as international signings.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think of Gonzo and Chen as just being free agent acquisitions.  Same with Koji.  I don't care what league they played in last year.

I don't think signing someone that has been in the KBO for a decade as an "International signing" it's a free agent signing.

Chen and Koji were not from America.  That makes the international.   Think how ever you want.

Just now, wildcard said:

Chen and Koji were not from America.  That makes the international.   Think how ever you want.

But they don't have to follow the international guidelines and use the money allocated to international signings.

You can sign a free agent from the NPB to a 6/180 contract if you want to.

So yes in a wider sense they are international, but not in the specific way that is keeping the O's away from a source young cost controlled talent.

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

There are arguments to be made that with Trumbo and/or Davis were on cheap contracts they would have been replaced.   But either one or bothhave the history that shows they could have a good year next year.

Sure they could.

But once again, if it had been you in charge in 2016, it was late July and Trumbo was putting up 2017 numbers, would you have cut him?

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

But they don't have to follow the international guidelines and use the money allocated to international signings.

You can sign a free agent from the NPB to a 6/180 contract if you want to.

So yes in a wider sense they are international, but not in the specific way that is keeping the O's away from a source young cost controlled talent.

The point is that the O's are going to have to think outside the box to improve the pitching.  Maybe we do too.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sure they could.

But once again, if it had been you in charge in 2016, it was late July and Trumbo was putting up 2017 numbers, would you have cut him?

I might have sit him for some games.  I doubt I would cut him after hitting 47 homers.  You never know when a guy like that will get hot.   Not until he does or doesn't.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I might have sit him for some games.  I doubt I would cut him after hitting 47 homers.  You never know when a guy like that will get hot.   Not until he does or doesn't.

I'm not saying anything about 47 homers.

If in his 2016 season he had put up the numbers he did in 2017.

That was the question.

That's a closer approximation with what happened with Carter in 2017 and why he's still an apt comparison.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not saying anything about 47 homers.

If in his 2016 season he had put up the numbers he did in 2017.

That was the question.

That's a closer approximation with what happened with Carter in 2017 and why he's still an apt comparison.

I can't take the 47 homers, 108 RBI  and the 850 OPS  while playing half his games in Camden Yards out of the equation.  That is part of who Trumbo is.   

Just now, wildcard said:

I can't take the 47 homers, 108 RBI  and the 850 OPS  while playing half his games in Camden Yards out of the equation.  That is part of who Trumbo is.   

No that is part of what Trumbo was.

Anyway it was just an exercise to show you that Carter was an apt comparison for Trumbo.

He was after the 2016 season and they both had down years in 2017.  Carter got cut and Trumbo didn't because he was on a one year deal and was on a team fighting for the playoffs.

Anyway it was just an exercise to show you that Carter was an apt comparison for Trumbo.

He was after the 2016 season and they both had down years in 2017.  Carter got cut and Trumbo didn't because he was on a one year deal and was on a team fighting for the playoffs.

Actually its who Trumbo is.

Archived