Mancini is a ROY finalist

Frobby

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I reject MLB's award nomenclature. If he were a finalist, there would be a second round of voting between him and the other two players. He merely finished in the top 3 (that is, third in all likelihood). He is not a "finalist" in any meaningful sense of the word. 

That's great, good for Mancini.

Just looked into which Orioles players have won the ROY award. Between 1960 and 1989, six different Os won it. That means that over that 29-year period, we were averaging a rookie of the year more than once every five years...

though now we haven't had one in 27 years.

47 minutes ago, TommyPickles said:

That's great, good for Mancini.

Just looked into which Orioles players have won the ROY award. Between 1960 and 1989, six different Os won it. That means that over that 29-year period, we were averaging a rookie of the year more than once every five years...

though now we haven't had one in 27 years.

The Birds who were rookie of the year as position players during that time frame:

Cal Ripken                 1982                .264 BA

Eddie Murray             1977                .283 BA

Al Bumbry                  1973                .337 BA    

Curt Blefary               1965                .260 BA

Ron Hansen               1960               .255 BA

So Trey compares pretty well, even to the great Eddie Murray  -- despite the fact that he is disparaged daily on this site because he was not a prospect!

2 minutes ago, Since'54 said:

The Birds who were rookie of the year as position players during that time frame:

So Trey compares pretty well, even to the great Eddie Murray  -- despite the fact that he is disparaged daily on this site because he was not a prospect!

First, he isn’t disparaged daily.   

Second, you can’t really compare stats from 2017 to stats from completely different eras.

Third, even if one wanted to do that comparison, batting average isn’t where I’d start.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

First, he isn’t disparaged daily.   

Second, you can’t really compare stats from 2017 to stats from completely different eras.

Third, even if one wanted to do that comparison, batting average isn’t where I’d start.

First --If not daily , then every time his value as a player arises. Take a look.

Second and third -- Where would you start?

Comparisons to different eras are always tough,  but I was impressed and surprised to see how Mancini's numbers relate to our all-time stars.

11 minutes ago, Since'54 said:

First --If not daily , then every time his value as a player arises. Take a look.

Second and third -- Where would you start?

Comparisons to different eras are always tough,  but I was impressed and surprised to see how Mancini's numbers relate to our all-time stars.

I’d start with WAR, or if offense is the focus, then wRC+ or OPS+.

Ripken: 4.7 rWAR, 115 OPS+

Murray: 3.2 rWAR, 123 OPS+

Bumbry: 4.0 rWAR, 154 OPS+

Blefary: 3.6 rWAR, 139 OPS+

Hansen: 3.9 rWAR, 111 OPS+

Mancini: 2.2 rWAR, 120 OPS+

I was amazed to see how high Bumbry’s OPS+ was.    I knew he hit for a high average, but he really had a great year all the way around    .

58 minutes ago, Since'54 said:

Disparaged?  Wow, I don’t think you know what that word means. 

I’ve seen people say he was an average overall player this year, which he was.

2 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

Disparaged?  Wow, I don’t think you know what that word means. 

I’ve seen people say he was an average overall player this year, which he was.

And yet discussed as rookie of the year. And yet third among Orioles as to OPS.

By the way,  your first comment is demeaning and gratuitous.  If you disagree with something I say, try introducing facts, not insults.  In other words,  grow up!

• Aaron Judge: 8.1 WAR
  • Trey Mancini: 2.2 WAR
  • Andrew Benintendi: 2.6 WAR

Mancini had a great rookie campaign...and honestly if he provided a 2.2 WAR year in and year out...I'd be ecstatic. But Judge is so far and away the ROY...it's not even close. I was actually shocked to see 8.1 WAR for Aaron considering how poorly he did in the 2nd half.

13 minutes ago, Since'54 said:

And yet discussed as rookie of the year. And yet third among Orioles as to OPS.

By the way,  your first comment is demeaning and gratuitous.  If you disagree with something I say, try introducing facts, not insults.  In other words,  grow up!

He’s not discussed as rookie of the year.  Judge is the rookie of the year.   Being third best rookie and third on the O’s in OPS doesn’t mean he was more than an average player this year.  Defense matters and he was rated poorly by the metrics.  That doesn’t mean he’s not worth anything.  5 years of an average player is valuable.

Ok, you were being hyperbolic.  Saying he’s disparaged daily is false. 

3 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:
  • Aaron Judge: 8.1 WAR
  • Trey Mancini: 2.2 WAR
  • Andrew Benintendi: 2.6 WAR

Mancini had a great rookie campaign...and honestly if he provided a 2.2 WAR year in and year out...I'd be ecstatic. But Judge is so far and away the ROY...it's not even close.

For sure.  But what do you think of Judge's career going forward.  I'm skeptical.

Archived