Walks Allowed Made 2017 Frustrating. Learn from the Past

Beef Supreme

There are many reasons why the starting pitching failed the team in 2017, but I would argue the main reason is the rate of bases on balls allowed. Better to give your fielders the chance of making outs than giving away free passes. Here are the rates for the pitchers with the most starts last season.

BB/9, 2017 Season
Bundy       2.71
Gausman 3.42
Ubaldo      3.66
Tillman     4.94   Jeezy!
Miley         5.32   Peezy! The #1 Worst in MLB (of 134) of pitchers with 100 IPs or more

Truly painful to watch all those balls thrown and all those walks allowed. Painful and frustrating. So, who wants to sign this guy?

BB/9
4.7   Fifth worst in MLB
...for a cumulative MLB BB/9 of 4.2.
That's a little better than his cumulative BB/9 in the minors of 4.4.

That pitcher is, of course, Tyler Chatwood. I love the fastball velocity and the groundball rate. But nothing in his statistical past suggests he will improve on four walks per nine innings pitched. Sign Chatwood and Orioles fans can continue to experience the same kind of pain and frustration with the starters that they felt last year. By the way. Lance Lynn's BB/9 was 3.77 last season (20th worst); 3.40 career. Jhoulys Chacin's was 3.59 (29th worst); 3.67 career. Andrew Cashner's was 3.46 (40th worst); 3.22 career.

To me, signing Chatwood looks like it would be repeating past mistakes. Seems like the other three I mentioned would be examples of not learning from history also.

As much as people want big strikeout starters, I would rather sign starters who limit walks. That doesn't mean I am advocating the signing of Ricky Nolasco or Bartolo Colon. But I would be interested in Iwakuma, if healthy. Maybe Mikolas. I'd kick the tires on Doug Fister while I am at it.

Archived