You snooze you lose - Doug Fister

Luke-OH

21 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Sorry, refuse to get upset every time another team signs anyone.  Or we sign a depth guy to a minor league contract.

Now, we start the season without addressing the rotation in a positive way, I'll lead the mob and help burn DD at the stake.  But, I think it's a little early to start getting upset over nothing.

I didn't mean it as a getting upset post, I was just surprised how favorable the contract terms were for Fister, personally I think the team should sell.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's odd to me that we have never gone after Fister. It's not like he hasn't been available before now. The guy is perfectly average yet DD has never gone after him. He wasn't signed until May last year by the Angels. He was then picked up off waivers by the Red Sox. Before that he signed a one year deal with Houston. 

So, for whatever reason, it seems like DD and Buck have never been seriously interested in the guy. 

1 hour ago, maybenxtyr said:

I remember him saying he didn't like pitching here in an interview...he may not have a lot of choices in the 2018 season. That's if Baltimore decides to offer him a contract. I hope they don't.

I hope they don't do that. But that's the type DD will give the fans in Baltimore. Miley and Tillman come back too. 

13 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

I hope they don't do that. But that's the type DD will give the fans in Baltimore. Miley and Tillman come back too. 

Do you truly believe that Hellickson, Miley, and Tillman will all be back in an Orioles uniform next year?  Really?

Keep in mind that medical evals take into consideration the type of contract.  The requirements to sign a pitcher to a three or four-year deal at $12-15 mil per year are different than for a one-year deal at $4 mil.  Injury risk on one of those is much higher than the other.

29 minutes ago, jtschrei said:

It's odd to me that we have never gone after Fister. It's not like he hasn't been available before now. The guy is perfectly average yet DD has never gone after him. He wasn't signed until May last year by the Angels. He was then picked up off waivers by the Red Sox. Before that he signed a one year deal with Houston. 

So, for whatever reason, it seems like DD and Buck have never been seriously interested in the guy. 

There has been some interest in OH on Fister, but, there has also been several posters that didnt' care much for the dude, and felt his better days was behind him.

5 hours ago, NCRaven said:

Do you truly believe that Hellickson, Miley, and Tillman will all be back in an Orioles uniform next year?  Really?

Tillman is the only pitcher I see with a chance due to his history with the team.  Tillman would need to be medically cleared first and it would have be  an incentive laden contract.  

13 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Tillman is the only pitcher I see with a chance due to his history with the team.  Tillman would need to be medically cleared first and it would have be  an incentive laden contract.  

Honestly, if Fister only gets a $4 mm guarantee, how could a team guarantee Tillman more than that?  

38 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Maximum cost of the contract is $11.5 mm over two seasons, so that answers the question about incentives.    I agree that’s a very good deal for the Rangers.

I'm sure that Fister's agent did his best to top that, probably checking with any other teams to see if they could beat it.  Interesting that no other team, not just the O's, was willing to go over $4 mil guaranteed.

Archived