Schoop Extension Talks

backwardsk

11 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sure.  But Schoop does have more risk than someone like Manny.

Why?

Seems Schoop is the better hitter

He may in fact have the better arm, and could probably easily move to 3B or LF, or maybe even RF

His DRS was close to the same as Manny last year.

Manny was pretty bad last year except for the month of August

Why more risk?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, scbalt52 said:

Lock up schoop and see if he can talk Manny into sticking around and continuing their friendship duo their whole career.

Really the only chance of extending Manny would be on a hometown discount.  I think the only chance (not saying it makes it likely or anything) of getting a hometown discount would involve Schoop being here longterm.

11 minutes ago, scbalt52 said:

Lock up schoop and see if he can talk Manny into sticking around and continuing their friendship duo their whole career.

The decision on whether to lock up Schoop has to be on its own merits, without regard as to whether it might impact Manny’s decision.    It’s nice that they’re friends, but I doubt Schoop’s contract status will influence Manny’s decision in any significant way.

1 hour ago, webbrick2010 said:

Why?

Seems Schoop is the better hitter

He may in fact have the better arm, and could probably easily move to 3B or LF, or maybe even RF

His DRS was close to the same as Manny last year.

Manny was pretty bad last year except for the month of August

Why more risk?

I hope we can field nine guys who had a "bad" July like Manny did.

12 hours ago, billw76 said:

I'd love to re-sign Schoop while he's fairly cheap, but at the same time I'd like to wait until after the trade deadline next season or once the season is over. By then we will know which the direction the franchise is heading, and if Schoop is part of the long term plan.

Sorry but I'd rather the FO gets the Schoop extension done this offseason.  

1 hour ago, phillyOs119 said:

Really the only chance of extending Manny would be on a hometown discount.  I think the only chance (not saying it makes it likely or anything) of getting a hometown discount would involve Schoop being here longterm.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

The decision on whether to lock up Schoop has to be on its own merits, without regard as to whether it might impact Manny’s decision.    It’s nice that they’re friends, but I doubt Schoop’s contract status will influence Manny’s decision in any significant way.

I agree, I'm not locking up Schoop necessarily to get Manny, but once I did I would at least try to use it. It might not mean even 0.1% of anything to Manny and probably shouldn't. However, and many call me crazy for thinking it, but I think Schoop is our only shot at keeping Manny. I just think the brotherhood/fun/chemistry/in it together type of thing and the fact both will rake in a fortune, might just be our only shot. I give the Orioles almost no shot at all to Manny don't get me wrong but there is just one tiny glimmer of hope and that is Schoop, just my opinion. 

In reality though, I am not one of those people who believe athletes should take discounts and not leave for the most money and all. That is great to live in a world with sunshine and rainbows but I'm all for players being greedy/taking most money, I know thats what I'd do. There is just something about those two that I think only way we keep both is just them going in it together and choosing to stay on their own, but highly unlikely.

Estimates for Manny's next contract length revolve around 10 years.  Amount begins at the $300 million mark so let's use that although I think at least a few teams could go higher.  What sort of discount do you reckon would be needed for him to remain an Oriole?  I don't know either, but for the sake of discussion let's say it's 10/22.5 or a 25% reduction in salary for his prime earning years.  

Would you make that kind of sacrifice to remain close to a good friend?  

7 hours ago, scbalt52 said:

I agree, I'm not locking up Schoop necessarily to get Manny, but once I did I would at least try to use it. It might not mean even 0.1% of anything to Manny and probably shouldn't. However, and many call me crazy for thinking it, but I think Schoop is our only shot at keeping Manny. I just think the brotherhood/fun/chemistry/in it together type of thing and the fact both will rake in a fortune, might just be our only shot. I give the Orioles almost no shot at all to Manny don't get me wrong but there is just one tiny glimmer of hope and that is Schoop, just my opinion. 

In reality though, I am not one of those people who believe athletes should take discounts and not leave for the most money and all. That is great to live in a world with sunshine and rainbows but I'm all for players being greedy/taking most money, I know thats what I'd do. There is just something about those two that I think only way we keep both is just them going in it together and choosing to stay on their own, but highly unlikely.

Offer Manny 10/400 M and he'll sign tomorrow Schoop or no Schoop.

1 hour ago, Satyr3206 said:

Whoever gave him the 5 Mil made a good deal.

Not yet.

Current ROI on Fantex's Schoop deal is around $400,000.  $4.91 million put into the S&P500 on May 1, 2016 has grown in the neighborhood of $1.2 million.

Archived