Fanfest

Going Underground

Just got back from Fan Fest and trying to figure out what to do for the video. The atmosphere seemed...Blah.

Got there around 9:15 with the early entry tickets and was directed to the line...Which stretched around the building and back past Mortons Steakhouse. People were still filing in behind us and disappearing around corners. On the bright side, the line was actually moving quickly as they were letting people in early. We got in at 9:45 actually, which was cool considering how far back we were. First stop was upstairs to the free room ("if it's free, it's for me!" was the rally cry for the day.) That place was packed already and quickly got worse as people filed in. Got a red, white, and blue Orioles script t shirt, a Maryland Flag brim Orioles cap, a Cal Ripken 2131 night poster, a set of the Wine Bottle Stoppers, and a Jonathan Schoop cover program (d'oh!) They did have a separate "Kids Giveaway" room, where they had wiffle ball sets and Starting Lineup figures. Also, later in the night the main room had the gray Orioles knit caps, which they were giving out in handfuls. The Team Store was next to it and was smaller than last year. Decent items, especially the $20 jerseys (you read that right.) I believe it was for players from 2010 - 2015. Picked up an Urrutia jersey. Been a favorite of mine, so it was a no brainer. Banners were $75 at first, $5 at the end of the day. Lots of framed jerseys for $200 then $100 at the end, presumably from the Club Level renovations. Also upstairs was the "Kids Autograph" line. We walked by it a few times. There were about 5 players up there when we went by, one being Austin Wynns (the only one we were able to see and recognize.) When we came back after the stadium tour, there was no line and just Austin and Wayne Kirby. Austin waved us up even though it was supposed to be for 14 and under. Got to chat with him for a bit. Apparently some people just saw "Austin" and got upset when it was him and not Hays. David Hess sat down not long after. Saw signs for Jesus Liranzo and...Someone else, but can't remember.

The second floor had nothing but the entrance and exit. Last year, that was where the $5 pictures were, which was a nice transition. Not so much this year.

On the first floor (the main showroom, actually), that was where the action was. Set up was a little bad, as you walked in right into Bingo and the Minor League Affiliate area, which was crowded due to the different games and ticket plans. Clogged up the entrance. Delmarva had some hats out that had a new, updated logo. Don't know if those were "official" hats (they stayed packed), but the logos were pretty cool, like an aggressive bird. Frederick had their "spin the wheel" game. Won a shirt and the wife won a Machado poster. They also had a cool season ticket deal going on. Any package, get your choice of a Mancini or Hays bobblehead, plus a second bobblehead (guess they had some extras?) Picked up a Guasman and Mancini one, while the wife got a Hays and Machado/Schoop handshake one. The Authentics store was there and had a decent selection. Picked up a discounted Flaherty bat and the wife got a Kim jersey. The MASN area took up some o the most space, as usual. The claw machine wasn't as bad this year, as you could actually SEE the winner baseballs. The guy a few people infront of us won Suite Seats. I won a sticker...The "free picture" line filled up right away and only the first 50 were guaranteed a pic. Passed on that. The $5 line almost never existed. The Oriole Bird line actually had more people. The autograph lines were interesting. You could clearly tell which ones Machado and Schoop were supposed to be at, as those lines were super short compared to others. Adam Jones line at the end wrapped around the section, while another area had maybe 50 people. LOTS of independent vendors there. Stopped by Dan Connollys table and got the free app on my phone, so got a shirt from there. Also got to talk with him a bit. Nice guy who seemed pretty genuine. The kids areas were spread out and took up a LOT of space. That seemed like their big push this year. The main stage got some interest, but it seemed to be less packed than last year. Didn't stay for most of the stuff as I was on the move. 105.7 The Fan area got a good amount of interest, despite not a lot of stuff going on there.

As for the stadium tour...They cleaned up the weight room this year before people went in. The training room looks a little updated. There is a small lounge area with a white board of a field. Didn't have many seats, so probably used on a "position" grouping. The clubhouse was lackluster. No name plates, only a few lockers had stuff (Mancini had his pre workout there still and a few bats and things, Jones had several lockers and Schoop had a locker with his own bobblehead.) There were a few lockers with random stuff thrown in. Chris Davis had a locker with a can of Coke that said "Chris." The dugout was cool, but the ground infront of it was soaked and muddy. The entire warning track area was nothing but mud and big puddles. Guess they didn't feel like putting down some Quick Dry. Got our pictures in Bucks press room.

Overall, things were fun, but seemed a little disorganized and lackluster for the casual fan. Lots of free stuff to get if you followed different Twitter or Instagram accounts. Probably ok if you got to ask some questions at the forums on stage. One strange thing, even though it was packed outside, it seemed like people came in and left not long after. Once you got past the front of the main hall, it was pretty empty. Even upstairs, unless you were in line for the free stuff.

This one felt really aimed at kids, which is good.

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Paul Folk

http://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2018/01/27/orioles-fanfest-notes-machados-schoops-absences-loom-large/

“It’s exciting, man,” Beckham said. “It’s a new position for me, so I’m ready to go over and have some fun.

“I’m open to it, especially if it helps the team and is a better fit for the team. The end goal is to win ballgames. We don’t want to lose sight of that. I don’t want to make this a big deal. I’ll just transition over there and continue to make the plays and be consistent.”

Beckham, who has started just five games at third base in his major league career — and none in the minors — plans to report early to spring training to work at the position with infield coach Bobby Dickerson.

49 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Does it say he will be better than anyone? I was thinking Steve Trachsel - would be fun to see how many clock violations he'd get.

It does "imply" by being ready for OD, that he/she COULD  start or play a "fireman's role" .  I jumped to the conclusion that he/she would start, if signed.  :ph34r:

1 minute ago, bobmc said:

It does "imply" by being ready for OD, that he/she COULD  start or play a "fireman's role" .  I jumped to the conclusion that he/she would start, if signed.  :ph34r:

Maybe it  meant that he would like to have the starting rotation all on the team by opening day.

• 2 months later...

Archived