Britton Out 6 months per Rosenthal

Rene88

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

The O's could have tried to cut Britton 30% to 8m.   I looked and could not find a precedent for that kind of a decrease in salary even though the rules allow it.  I guess the O's felt it was not worth the risk.

I agree.   But are you aware of any arbitration cases (or settlements) where it was expected that the player would miss half the season (or any significant chunk of the season)?

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I agree.   But are you aware of any arbitration cases (or settlements) where it was expected that the player would miss half the season (or any significant chunk of the season)?

No, it might be out there but i have not found it.   And I have looked.

43 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

Shelby Miller is in a similar situation.  The Diamondbacks offered his 2017 salary of 4.7.  Miller's camp came in at 4.9.

Yes, good example.   Alex Cobb in 2016 is another example.    He had a 2015 salary of $4 mm, missed the entire season with TJ surgery and was expected to miss a large portion of 2016 as well, and the team still paid him $4 mm in 2016.   So, it does seem pretty much impossible to give a player a pay cut in arbitration, even if you know that player will miss a lot of the season with an injury.   

14 hours ago, theobird said:

So we get a half a year, at best, of Zach Britton for 12M? What a deal that we are paying a closer the equivolent of 24M for 2018.

Yep the FO was stupid to do that. I wouldn't have given Zach that even if he were healthy as a horse. 

33 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

I just find it hard to see where a player can make 12 million for half a season is really worth it. 

Obviosuly he's not worth it this year.   But the arbitration process being what it is, he was going to get at least pretty close to that.   There was not a lot that could be done about it. 

59 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

I just find it hard to see where a player can make 12 million for half a season is really worth it. 

But he hurt himself performing baseball-related activities after having been offered a contract, so it doesn't matter. According to the rules, he's entitled to his money. He could not be released to save money. 

4 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

Hes clearly worth that when healthy. Wade Davis inked a 3/$52m deal, $17.3 AAV.

1 hour ago, Tx Oriole said:

I just find it hard to see where a player can make $12 million for half a season is really worth it. 

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

Obviously he's not worth it this year.  But the arbitration process being what it is, and he subsequently was going to get at least pretty close to that. There was not a lot that could be done about it. 

o

Good points, Il BuonO and Steve.

And of course, the overall results of the Orioles' 2018 season combined with how Britton pitches in the 2nd half of said season when he comes back from injury will go a long way toward whether or not Britton's $12 Million winds up being a footnote, or if it is looked back upon with continual complaints during and after the season. If the Orioles add two solid starting pitchers via the remaining free agent market and/or a trade in the next few months, Britton pitches well in the 2nd half of the season when he comes back from injury, and the team wins at least 85 or 86 games, then all will be forgiven (and for the most part, forgotten.)

If the above doesn't happen (in particular, if the Orioles don't find a way to win at least 85 or 86 games in the upcoming season), then Britton's $12 Million for half of a season's work will be just one of many complaints about the front office that will be continually expressed to no end.

As the late Johnny Sain once said,  "The world doesn't want to hear about your labor pains, they just want to see the baby." 

o

• 4 weeks later...

Orioles closer Zach Britton reaches another important date today in his recovery from right Achilles surgery.

He’s hoping that it’s the latest step, so to speak, in the right direction.

Britton will undergo his third checkup from Dr. Kenneth Jung of the Kerlan-Jobe Orthopedic Clinic in Los Angeles before he flies to Sarasota and reports early to spring training. He expects to receive more encouraging news - that he’s still a bit ahead of schedule.

Calling into the “Orioles Hot Stove Show” last night on 105.7 The Fan, Britton said he’s walking in sneakers now that he’s out of the boot, hasn’t experienced any setbacks and doesn’t really give the foot much thought. He’ll learn more about his camp schedule upon his arrival, including when he can play catch and build up his arm.

Head athletic trainer Brian Ebel, promoted from assistant this winter, already has visited Britton to check on his rehab.

I am amazed that he is progressing as quickly as this. Of course, walking and planting that foot to throw is two different things.

Archived