Britton Out 6 months per Rosenthal

Rene88

53 minutes ago, Frobby said:

How?   He was tendered a contract already and is eligible for arbitration.   

"Win or lose, the player is awarded a standard one-year MLB contract with no "minor league split" salary or incentive/performance bonuses. Also, the contract is not guaranteed, so if the player is released during Spring Training, the club would only owe the player 30 days or 45 days salary as termination pay, depending on when the player is released. (A player on an MLB 40-man roster receives 100% of what remains of his salary if he is released during the regular season)."

This is the Miggy Gonzalez situation.  If Britton is released before opening day, he would be owed 45 days salary. 

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, SteveA said:

OK, so we criticize (rightly) their bad moves to no end on this board, in hundreds and hundreds of posts.

And now we chalk up their good moves to "good fortune".

Yeah, no agenda there.   Totally fair analysis.  :mad:

I'm just in a bitter mood this morning.  DD has made good and bad moves with the Orioles.  I would like to see what DD is capable of without having ownership interfere and actually delve into the international talent pool.  

1 minute ago, oriole said:

Unfortunate but not a death blow if the offseason is done right. Get some SP. The bullpen is still strong even without Britton. 

You may have to trade some of that strong bullpen to get that SP though. If they're trying to contend. 

45 minutes ago, MikeAD said:

No.  Absolutely not.   He's missed and will miss too much time and we will be lucky to turn his current contract into value either on our field or via return.  Our best hope is he is in top form when hes back from this and we can move him.  A contract extension wont increase the trade value of a closer/set up man entering their 30s.  He hits free agency at 31 and whatever contract he gets wont be a net win for the team.  

6 months is June. If not extending, would it be worth a shot to bring him back with a view to hitting him with a QO? He would not be the first closer to get one (Jansen 2016; Davis and Holland 2017).

Just now, Spy Fox said:

You may have to trade some of that strong bullpen to get that SP though. If they're trying to contend. 

2 minutes ago, oriole said:

Unfortunate but not a death blow if the offseason is done right. Get some SP. The bullpen is still strong even without Britton. 

Some?  It already seems they are pulling Brach from the market and they have been unwilling to move Givens.  I doubt the entire rest of the bullpen can be packaged for two pitchers that will get us to the wild card.  

This is terrible timing and sets us back tenfold. Although I shouldn’t get worked up. We wouldn’t have traded any of these players anyway.  God I hope Jones and Schoop get out before it’s too late. 

Just now, Aristotelian said:

6 months is June. If not extending, would it be worth a shot to bring him back with a view to hitting him with a QO? He would not be the first closer to get one (Jansen 2016; Davis and Holland 2017).

No.  You don’t pay for closers. You develop and trade. The Yankees Dodgers and Cubs pay for closers. We aren’t those teams and don’t have money to spend. 

Just now, Spy Fox said:

I'm still aboard the trade Machado boat. I can't tell what clubs are offering but if it's reasonable SP then count me in. Sign a decent veteran SP and hopefully a player like Granderson or Carlos Gonzalez. Not a perfect scenario but even without Britton I think this team has a fighting chance assuming we aren't signing crappy pitching.

Just now, MikeAD said:

No.  You don’t pay for closers. You develop and trade. The Yankees Dodgers and Cubs pay for closers. We aren’t those teams and don’t have money to spend. 

Holland and Davis both turned down their QO. We would get a draft pick, or if he accepts we trade him to one of those teams that can spend $17M on a closer.

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Holland and Davis both turned down their QO. We would get a draft pick, or if he accepts we trade him to one of those teams that can spend $17M on a closer.

But then you’re in the position of trying to trade a closer entering his 30s who has missed majority of last two seasons , makes 17 million and hasnt pitched a playoff inning in that span.  I’ll wait while the suitors swoon.  Ok they Are done 

Archived