Britton Out 6 months per Rosenthal

Rene88

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Aristotelian said:

So...if trading him is now out of the picture, would anyone be tempted to offer an extension? How much would it cost to buy out his arb year plus 3 years or so?

No.  Absolutely not.   He's missed and will miss too much time and we will be lucky to turn his current contract into value either on our field or via return.  Our best hope is he is in top form when hes back from this and we can move him.  A contract extension wont increase the trade value of a closer/set up man entering their 30s.  He hits free agency at 31 and whatever contract he gets wont be a net win for the team.  

1 minute ago, birdwatcher55 said:

Six months is not the end of Western Civilization as we know it. That brings him back by July 1. Pretty much takes Brach off the trade block and locks Givens and O'Day into their roles as eighth and seventh inning setup. Also gives our Rule V guys a major opportunity. The sky is not falling in my opinion.

I would still be open to trading Brach, unless they are planning on moving Castro into the rotation.

3 minutes ago, MikeAD said:

No.  Absolutely not.   He's missed and will miss too much time and we will be lucky to turn his current contract into value either on our field or via return.  Our best hope is he is in top form when hes back from this and we can move him.  A contract extension wont increase the trade value of a closer/set up man entering their 30s.  He hits free agency at 31 and whatever contract he gets wont be a net win for the team.  

He might be back sometime in June . Might be tough to move him after only a month or so back.

1 minute ago, Os84 said:

Can the Orioles release Britton and not be committed to any salary at this point?

Pretty sure this is a no..........since they already tendered him for 2018.  They still have to go through arbitration though, which seems like it would be strongly affected by this.

They can still release him before the season (a la Miguel Gonzalez) and save most of the arbitration money, right? Do the Orioles now talk to Britton about a 2-year deal for 2018 and 2019 or do they cut bait? I would have to imagine going through arbitration and keeping him is too much of a risk, no? He'll be back around the break. Is that enough time to prove health and command enough of a return to merit the $12M or so in arbitration? Would his arb price drop as a result? It can't go down that much.

Just now, Going Underground said:

He might be back sometime in June . Might be tough to move him after only a month or so back.

Yeah I didn't even pull out my fingers and count the months.  June is really bad for coming back.  Thanks for making this worse for me with your accurate counting.  :( :mad: 

7 minutes ago, birdwatcher55 said:

Six months is not the end of Western Civilization as we know it. That brings him back by July 1. Pretty much takes Brach off the trade block and locks Givens and O'Day into their roles as eighth and seventh inning setup. Also gives our Rule V guys a major opportunity. The sky is not falling in my opinion.

Well, it is falling when this club isn't going to contend in 2018 as it stands. And they lost their arguably best bullpen arm for *at least* half the season...most likely longer.

The main takeaway is that a club that most likely won't contend in 2018 should be *trading* guys like Britton right now...not losing them to injury. So it's a major blow to a rebuilding process that *should* happen.

Archived