So What is the Plan for Starting Pitching?

backwardsk

ZIPS

Ynoa 5.26

Tillman 5.30

Mike Wright  4.98

Gonzalez  4.82

Cashner 4.91

The ZIPS projection for Mesa and Cortes isn't out yet.  My point is the difference between the mediocre FA starters that are old, declining, and costly aren't enough better to make any difference than young controllable fringe guys.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

I believe I predicted Vargas, Cashner, and   I can't remember.

54 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

"Improving" the rotation."

by the Baltimore Orioles.

Well, that'd be marginally better than three of us picking up knuckleballs and joining the team, so at least it's got that going for it.

23 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

Well if it's Miguel Gonzalez, Cashner, and Tillman vs. Ynoa, Mesa, and Cortes.

5.25   Mesa

5.67  Ynoa

4.52   Cortes

5.18   Gonzalez

4.99   Cashner

5.24  Tillman

Those are the STEAMER projected ERAs for each in 2018.

I'd rather go with the guys that will cost 1.5 million combined than the group that will require at least 2 multi-year deals and cost at least 20 million. 

I'm with you, I'd much rather watch the young guys. I really have no interest in watching Tillman, Gonzalez or Cashner at this point, and I certainly don't want to give any of them multi year deals.

I think I've never been this pessimistic on our pitching going into OD. Even when we had terrible teams and rotations in early and mid 2000s, there were some young guys who were just a breath away that you hoped would be great.  We don't have any of those right now, not close at least.  Id like a John Maine or two.  

Gausman, Bundy are of course at the top. Asher will end up throwing at last 90 innings and Wright will probably get 8-12 starts.   Gonzalez is probably the cheapest SP they can get, but he's going to be 34.  If he's looking at one year contracts, he needs to go somewhere he can get good numbers as he really may have just one more contract.  So we won't get him on a one year and I don't see the orioles offering a multi-year.  

I think the opening day four are:

• Gausman
  • Bundy
  • Asher
  • Ynoa

There won't be a fifth starter, we will be told its because we don't need one until X game, then we see Wright for the first time.  

My guess is Tillman is resigned and one of Cashner, Gonzalez, Vargas etc. Then the last spot is a battle between Cortes, Ynoa, Wright, Castro and hopefully this Baker kid mentioned in the OP. He seems like a solid pickup despite it being extremely unexciting. 

I am am kind of hoping to see Dickey play here. I'd rather see Dickey than any of the guys I mentioned. 

4 hours ago, backwardsk said:

Most thought a trade of Manny would bring back at least one SP.  Now that trading him appears on the back-burner, how do they fill the rotation?  Not too many FAs have signed: Chacin, Chatwood, Gallardo.

With room on the 40 man roster, one move I'd make today is claim Dylan Baker.  This guy has come back from TJS, logged a few innings in AA and Arizona this past season.  With room on the roster, he's a guy you can take a flier on.

I'd imagine that they fill one rotation spot with Castro, Cortes, Wright, or Ynoa.  Baker could be added to this competition.

Do we have enough payroll flexibility to trade for Straily while taking on a contract like Prado or Chen?  

Are there other pitchers with terrible contracts that we could take on that makes the rotation better even if it's an overpay?

What other creative ways would you use to improve the rotation?

34 minutes ago, oriole said:

My guess is Tillman is resigned and one of Cashner, Gonzalez, Vargas etc. Then the last spot is a battle between Cortes, Ynoa, Wright, Castro and hopefully this Baker kid mentioned in the OP. He seems like a solid pickup despite it being extremely unexciting. 

I am am kind of hoping to see Dickey play here. I'd rather see Dickey than any of the guys I mentioned. 

Baker is interesting, but he's not a starting option.  He threw 16 innings last year.  He has upper 90s velocity as a reliever and a good slider.  He had poor control and command and a rough delivery before TJS.  He's smoothed it out a bit (I watched a couple of innings) and seems to have no problem throwing strikes anymore, although the command is still spotty.  Worth a 40 man spot as a relief option IMO, the O's still have some dead weight on the 40 anyways.

3 hours ago, 24fps said:

This is unfair.  They've usually run through, at the least, Plans B,C,D,E,F,G and H by the beginning of spring training.

I would call those reactions to the most recent pitching disaster, but I guess you could call them plans. I think an approach to building a pitching staff should be in place for at least 72 hours before it's called a plan. 

Archived