Orioles Had -$2.1 Million Operating Loss Last Season

theocean

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You have no idea what Dan (or Peter) considers when setting the payroll.    But you seem to be missing my point that they have to take cash money and put it in a separate account long before they pay it out to the player as deferred comp, and that’s money they can’t spend on current payroll or anything else.    

He, and other's  feel that he must be personally liquid and have the ability to fund the payroll independently. 

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, weams said:

He, and other's  feel that he must be personally liquid and have the ability to fund the payroll independently. 

I doubt most really think too much about it, just the guy that owns the team is rich and can spend whatever he wants.

Teams are businesses and run as such. It’s not like the Orioles bank account is tied to PA’s. 

7 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

I doubt most really think too much about it, just the guy that owns the team is rich and can spend whatever he wants.

Teams are businesses and run as such. It’s not like the Orioles bank account is tied to PA’s. 

I would wager that a great part of the Angelos wealth is tied to equity in three businesses. I guess he could borrow against them. 

29 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You have no idea what Dan (or Peter) considers when setting the payroll.    But you seem to be missing my point that they have to take cash money and put it in a separate account long before they pay it out to the player as deferred comp, and that’s money they can’t spend on current payroll or anything else.    

I doubt that escrow money takes away for what the O's can spend on payroll in 2018-2022.

Just now, wildcard said:

So you think they will lower payroll for the 164m level because the escrow account?

No, not necessarily.   Payrolls generally go up every year in MLB. But it will be $5-7 mm lower than it would have been if we didn’t have the deferred comp obligations.   

17 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

I tend to agree with weams that the 164m was a one year thing and it might be a few years before they are back to that level.

I don't know about that.   The O's are at about 124m right now.   But they have holes to fill.   It depend on if they can get any one to take their money. i.e. free agents or trades.   I think the O's are willing to spend up to 40m.   We will see. 

43 minutes ago, Frobby said:

No, not necessarily.   Payrolls generally go up every year in MLB. But it will be $5-7 mm lower than it would have been if we didn’t have the deferred comp obligations.   

It kind on a nebulous position.   You don't think the escrow will cause the O's to not reach last years payroll this year. Its effect is like a hundred other things like the law suit, attendance. advertising revenue, the economy, etc.

14 hours ago, eddie83 said:

I know the topic isn’t about MASN specifically but what a mess. MASN was designed to appease Angelos over his TV market being infringed upon and protect him - the Orioles - financially. 

The fact is how can MASN pay the Nats what this committee says they should be paid and still remain profitable? Did anyone take into account that this is one network that shares two teams? This isn’t like a normal situation where one team is on one network and another team has a separate network. When the committee determined how much each team should be paid did they factor in that point? Why was it set up like this in the first place and not simply based off of profits to the company? 

All that said no doubt Angelos personally has reaped the rewards financially. 

This got me thinking.. hypothetically, if Angelous dies and say they sold the team, would the MASN rights go with the sale?  Would it be separate, and if that's the case, could someone own the Orioles and be screwed out the MASN money?   ...Because if that's the case, it would be a massive blow to the Orioles, future forward.

39 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

I tend to agree with weams that the 164m was a one year thing and it might be a few years before they are back to that level.

You may be right.    We leapfrogged from 15th to 10th in payroll last year, and might be due for a correction. 

Just now, Frobby said:

You may be right.    We leapfrogged from 15th to 10th in payroll last year, and might be due for a correction. 

Are you saying that Peter does not want to win in 2018?   That is why the payroll was at that level in 2017.   I don't see Peter's desire to win being less.   

Its a matter of whether the O's can get players and other clubs to take their money to fill the holes they have.

20 minutes ago, gmelson26 said:

This got me thinking.. hypothetically, if Angelous dies and say they sold the team, would the MASN rights go with the sale?  Would it be separate, and if that's the case, could someone own the Orioles and be screwed out the MASN money?   ...Because if that's the case, it would be a massive blow to the Orioles, future forward.

The Baltimore Orioles LLC own the majority interest in MASN, not Angelos.

9 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Are you saying that Peter does not want to win in 2018?   That is why the payroll was at that level in 2017.   I don't see Peter's desire to win being less.   

Its a matter of whether the O's can get players and other clubs to take their money to fill the holes they have.

Sometimes you make a one-time expenditure that you can’t afford every year.     I’m not going to sit here and guess what Angelos will do.    I sure haven’t seen a lot of signs that PA is feeling generous this winter, though.  

Archived