File and Trial Arbitrations?

weams

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Aglets said:

According to Roch we failed to come to an agreement with Manny, Brach, Britton, or Joseph.   So we failed with 4/7.

Go us!

Or, the Orioles may get their offer imposed. The beauty of arbitration. One or the other. 

1 minute ago, weams said:

Or, the Orioles may get their offer imposed. The beauty of arbitration. One or the other. 

Very true, we usually win these cases.  But sometimes we lose....like with Brach last year.

The word out of the warehouse though was that they were hoping to agree with all seven players by the deadline.....that's why I said they 'failed.'   The Manny situation is probably the most dangerous, depending on how you look at it.  OTOH, if you are 100% convinced that you're gonna either trade him or lose him for peanuts, I guess who cares how ticked off you make him during this process.

2 hours ago, backwardsk said:

Patrick Corbin reached an agreement for $7.5M.  Slightly less than what MLBTR predicted ($8.3).  Charlie Blackmon is atop the leader board at $14M.

Actually, I think $800K is a pretty substantial amount below the projected amount on a deal of that size, IMO.

36 minutes ago, Aglets said:

According to Roch we failed to come to an agreement with Manny, Brach, Britton, or Joseph.   So we failed with 4/7.

Go us!

Despite the rhetoric from last year (which I though was ill-advised), there's still plenty of time to get deals done with the other 4.    I'll be astounded if more than 1-2 go to arbitration.   

The non-deal that surprises me least is Britton.    The parties are kind of in uncharted territory on that one, due to his injury.

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Despite the rhetoric from last year (which I though was ill-advised), there's still plenty of time to get deals done with the other 4.    I'll be astounded if more than 1-2 go to arbitration.   

The non-deal that surprises me least is Britton.    The parties are kind of in uncharted territory on that one, due to his injury.

Can anyone think of another player who was out for the first half of the season who went to arbitration? Does an injury actually impact an arbitration argument?

3 hours ago, backwardsk said:

Donaldson's increase is a much smaller percentage than what Manny's expecting.  I don't think his agent would do him favors by going too high.

Donaldson clearly will make more than Manny.    They're in different places in the arbitrations process, though.     Manny is a regular 3rd year arb guy, whereas Donaldson is a Super-4 (5.158 years of service time).    For players who are Super-4's, the percentage jump from year 3 to year 4 is usually not as large as the jump that players have from year 2 to year 3.    Donaldson made $17 mm last year as a super-3 and that's a pretty good benchmark for Manny this year.     Manny has slightly more service time than Donaldson had at this time last year, but Donaldson has been the more valuable player over the last several years.    I think those tow factors cancel each other out and that leaves $17 mm as where I expected Manny to land.    It will be interesting to see the bid and ask.

(Edit -- I'm using "Super 4" to mean its his fourth year of arbitration eligibility.    Technically, it's probably more accurate to call him a "Super-5" since he was a "Super-2" three years ago, and he has nearly 6 years of service.)

8 minutes ago, theocean said:

Can anyone think of another player who was out for the first half of the season who went to arbitration? Does an injury actually impact an arbitration argument?

I can't think of a similar situation, though it's probably happened.   Somebody posted the arbitration criteria the other day, and while there is ambiguity, my interpretation was that it can be taken into consideration at least indirectly.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Donaldson clearly will make more than Manny.    They're in different places in the arbitrations process, though.     Manny is a regular 3rd year arb guy, whereas Donaldson is a Super-4 (5.158 years of service time).    For players who are Super-4's, the percentage jump from year 3 to year 4 is usually not as large as the jump that players have from year 2 to year 3.    Donaldson made $17 mm last year as a super-3 and that's a pretty good benchmark for Manny this year.     Manny has slightly more service time than Donaldson had at this time last year, but Donaldson has been the more valuable player over the last several years.    I think those tow factors cancel each other out and that leaves $17 mm as where I expected Manny to land.    It will be interesting to see the bid and ask.

$17ish is what I'm expecting as well.  His agent would be playing a dangerous game if he filed something much higher because of Donaldson's agreement.  Now, because of timing, Manny's agent likely didn't factor in the Donaldson contract at all.

Archived