Who’s our GM & Manager Next Year?

Rene88

3 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

To all: Outside of a potential Duquette return, are there any candidates that you'd feel good about hiring?

Kin Ng, or Amanda Hopkins of the Seattle Mariners or Haley Alvarez with the Oakland Athletics.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/19/2018 at 1:53 PM, hoosiers said:

I believe we need to find someone with a small market background.  Someone used to working on a light budget and doing more with less.  The large market teams have been used to outspending the rest of the league - particularly just recently for international talent.

That said, I am fine giving DD the time to build out an international scouting presence and then evaluate where we are as an organization. There is a lot I didn't like about DD, but I also think the organization could benefit from some stability.

Sure, if this was a small market team.

Its pretty solid mid market town.

10 minutes ago, Ballmer Bruce said:

The GM does not matter unless ownership changes.

That's the thing... we don't know for certain about the future plans of ownership.  It seems that John Angelos is running the baseball side of things for his father's ownership group, but for how long? While he's made a generally-positive impression thus far, there are rumors and speculation regarding a potential sale of the Orioles down the road.  Despite the uncertainty surrounding the future ownership situation, I think the hiring of a GM is vitally important to the long-term success of a franchise.  That GM will likely be given far more authority to run things than his predecessors have, now that it appears that Peter Angelos is no longer overseeing operations. Besides, it may be years before there is a sale- if at all, and rebuilding this franchise should remain priority one.  

I’ll say this, if they keep Dan and let Buck go they better be smart in how they do it. Buck is much, much more popular to the average fan than Dan. Buck has been the face of the turnaround. I think from a PR standpoint it has to be clear that Dan had no say in Buck not being brought back. They need to show that the decisions were separate and not tied together.  

Bloom looks like the right fit to me.   We will need to be in a small market mentality, and his experience with the Rays should help in that regard.   It seems they are very good at developing talent, which seems to be a skill this organization lacks.

57 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I’ll say this, if they keep Dan and let Buck go they better be smart in how they do it. Buck is much, much more popular to the average fan than Dan. Buck has been the face of the turnaround. I think from a PR standpoint it has to be clear that Dan had no say in Buck not being brought back. They need to show that the decisions were separate and not tied together.  

You think Buck is popular? Maybe he is more than DD. But it's Bucks stubborn streak playing his favorites has screwed the team. IMO 

My top choice for GM is Amiel Sawdaye.  He worked for the Red Sox for almost 15 years in scouting and was the scouting director for the last 5-7 years before he went to Arizona before the 2017 season with Mike Hazen to be the assistant GM.  He had a ton of success as the Red Sox scouting director and drafted the large majority of their current core, which is arguably the best collection of young ML talent in the game.  On top of all this experience and success, he is a local guy that grew up in Baltimore (Pikesville area), so this would be a homecoming for him.  He grew up an O’s fan, so you would have to think this rebuilding job would be very appealing to him, especially now that Peter Angelos is no longer involved with ownership decisions due to his health situation.  I could see Amiel hitting it off and working well with John & Lou, whereas there’s no way it would have ever worked with Peter still in charge.

36 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

You think Buck is popular? Maybe he is more than DD. But it's Bucks stubborn streak playing his favorites has screwed the team. IMO 

I know a lot of his luster has worn off. That said clearly he is more popular than Dan. 

I think there would be a significant portion of the fan base that would be angered if Dan stays and Buck leaves and Dan played a role in Buck not returning.  

44 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I know a lot of his luster has worn off. That said clearly he is more popular than Dan. 

I think there would be a significant portion of the fan base that would be angered if Dan stays and Buck leaves and Dan played a role in Buck not returning.  

I am sorry but I wouldn't mind DD returning if John has taken the handcuffs off DD. I want the team to have a better manager. Someone that can develope pitching like the Orioles of old did.

5 hours ago, Tx Oriole said:

I am sorry but I wouldn't mind DD returning if John has taken the handcuffs off DD. I want the team to have a better manager. Someone that can develope pitching like the Orioles of old did.

I have no issue if he comes back.  

• 2 months later...

Archived