If Mussina gets the HOF nod tonight...

SteveA

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, millertime said:

Exactly how I feel.  I was a huge Mussina fan and held ZERO grudge against him for leaving.  I also don’t hold a grudge because he chose the Yankees...they had the ability to offer him the most money and best opportunity to win.  For all the talk about how many people dislike Angelos for the way he runs this organization, Mussina should’ve been applauded for basically telling him to pound sand.

And take this for what you will but years ago, I ran into Mussina’s brother in a bar, noticed him right away and decided to go over and strike up a conversation with him.  Super nice guy.  He talked to me for at least 30 minutes and he explained that Mike was furious about how Angelos reneged on his promise but that he also felt terrible for the fans.  Unless his brother is a liar, he did the same thing any normal person, working in a normal business would do if their boss pulled the BS Angelos pulled on him.  Mussina will always be one of my top 5 favorite Orioles.  Isn’t it “slightly” ironic that we haven’t had a TRUE Ace since he left?

Not to mentioned, he saw the writing on the wall, where Davy was forced out, and the direction the team was going ATT.

47 minutes ago, VaBird1 said:

I remember around 1998 that Sparky Anderson said Mussina was the best right hander in the AL.  It sure felt like he was dominate when I watched him pitch.  

He had the uncanny ability to go through his assortment of pitches during the game, and if something wasn't working, he had other pitches.

Fangraphs shows him with 6 different pitches in some years, and one year, they show him with 7 pitches.

As far as WAR goes, he never once had a bad year. His worse year was 2.8 WAR (not counting his rookie year of 1.7).

It took me a long time to get over him leaving.  At the time I put it more on him than Angelos, but over the years I learned it was more PGA that pushed him away.  It was still tough to stomach him going to the Yankees, at the time our archrival (we were heading downhill in 2000 and an afterthought for them at that point, but '96 & '97 weren't that far in the rearview mirror).  I remember taking delight in Arizona's WS win over them, because the thought of Mussina pitching them to a WS win was too much for me to bear.

Here's the thing, if he had been a career long Oriole, we all would be SCREAMING about him getting overlooked for the HOF.  He deserves it, and I hope he gets in next year.  It'll be a shame if he doesn't get recognized for the great pitcher that he was.

4 hours ago, esmd said:

It took me a long time to get over him leaving.  At the time I put it more on him than Angelos, but over the years I learned it was more PGA that pushed him away.  It was still tough to stomach him going to the Yankees, at the time our archrival (we were heading downhill in 2000 and an afterthought for them at that point, but '96 & '97 weren't that far in the rearview mirror).  I remember taking delight in Arizona's WS win over them, because the thought of Mussina pitching them to a WS win was too much for me to bear.

Here's the thing, if he had been a career long Oriole, we all would be SCREAMING about him getting overlooked for the HOF.  He deserves it, and I hope he gets in next year.  It'll be a shame if he doesn't get recognized for the great pitcher that he was.

He'll get in. I'm not sure about next year, but he'll get in within the next couple season. Of the carry overs, he and Edgar are the only two I feel certain about getting in. Several more should (based on my opinion), but I'm skeptical they'll get the support.

Yankee fans like and appreciated Mussina, one of the better free agent signings the Yankee made post dynasty years. He unfortunately bridged the 2000 and 2009 World Series teams and never really had that one great moment. I'll always remember him being 1 strike away from a perfect game and Carl Everett breaking it up in Fenway. 

Would not be surprised if Mussina asks to go in logoless, like Maddux and LaRussa. 

Archived