Thoughts on Manny @ SS and Beckham @ 3B ??

alaniee

Since Buck at FanFest, confirmed that Manny will be playing SS and Beckham will be playing 3B, what are y'alls thoughts?

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/22233464/baltimore-orioles-play-manny-machado-ss-move-tim-beckham-3b

Is it possible that this is the Orioles attempt to "up" Manny's trade value since SS's are generally considered more valuable than 3B?

Trying to make Manny "happy" by giving him SS since it's what he's wanted all along?

Thoughts?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, El Gordo said:

Well It will be fun watching Manny at SS anyway, even if we do suck

It will be interesting.   But I wonder if he'll make as many of the kind of breathtaking plays that he made at 3rd, the ones that made us smile in disbelief.

I think it will be interesting to watch how it works out.    I would have preferred to leave Beckham at short, but I have an open mind.

And I agree with Moose that it hardly matters if we don’t address the damned pitching.  

36 minutes ago, alaniee said:

Since Buck at FanFest, confirmed that Manny will be playing SS and Beckham will be playing 3B, what are y'alls thoughts?

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/22233464/baltimore-orioles-play-manny-machado-ss-move-tim-beckham-3b

Is it possible that this is the Orioles attempt to "up" Manny's trade value since SS's are generally considered more valuable than 3B?

Trying to make Manny "happy" by giving him SS since it's what he's wanted all along?

Thoughts?

If the idea is to increase trade value, I doubt it works because he’ll be worth less at the deadline anyway.  I really have trouble seeing any benefit to this set up. I don’t know if it’s worth being mad about though. I think Buck just isn’t a fan of Beckham-type defenders (rangy but inconsistent) so he wants someone he trusts at SS.

18 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

If the idea is to increase trade value, I doubt it works because he’ll be worth less at the deadline anyway.  I really have trouble seeing any benefit to this set up. I don’t know if it’s worth being mad about though. I think Buck just isn’t a fan of Beckham-type defenders (rangy but inconsistent) so he wants someone he trusts at SS.

The only benefit there might be a perceived increase in defense, especially double plays. Machado with the stronger arm *should* turn more.

7 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

The only benefit there might be a perceived increase in defense, especially double plays. Machado with the stronger arm *should* turn more.

I'm going to miss some of those incredible 5-4-3s Manny & Jon used to turn.

I'm still in the early stages of grief in terms of never getting to watch Manny play 3rd again.

53 minutes ago, SteveA said:

It will be interesting.   But I wonder if he'll make as many of the kind of breathtaking plays that he made at 3rd, the ones that made us smile in disbelief.

He won't make those kind of plays, he'll make different ones. But still exciting IMO.

Maybe they are going to make an offer to him this off season and hope this move will encourage some kind of home town discount from Manny? 

I dunno, seems odd to pander to a player's request when everyone knows you should be getting ready to move on from them. Not giving into their wishes...

5 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

It’s not a matter of having the stronger arm.    It’s a matter of having the quicker release, hitting the 2B in the chest every time or making the pivot better.    

My impression?  This is going to be a tough season to go through.

6 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Whatever.  Shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic.

RE: trying to "up" his trade value, it's no secret that he can play SS.  I don't think there's anything Manny can do at SS that'd make him more valuable than he already is.

Positives I see for us:

• Manny plays his natural position, where he has always wanted to play
  • Manny touches the ball more
  • Beckham touches the ball less

Positive I see for Manny:

• He is not an elite hitting 3B. His career OPS of .805 would have ranked 14th among qualifying 3B last season. He's tried bulking up and hitting more home runs. It worked out in 2016, but not last season. He is a great defensive 3B and an average offensive 3B.
  • That same .805 career OPS would have ranked 4th among all qualifying SS last season, just .03 behind Elvis Andrus. We might find out this year that Manny is an elite SS, offensively and defensively. That would increase the likelihood that he will be signed to play SS (where he wants to play) and improve his chances of one day making it into the HOF. 

19 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Positives I see for us:

• Manny plays his natural position, where he has always wanted to play
  • Manny touches the ball more
  • Beckham touches the ball less

Positive I see for Manny:

• He is not an elite hitting 3B. His career OPS of .805 would have ranked 14th among qualifying 3B last season. He's tried bulking up and hitting more home runs. It worked out in 2016, but not last season. He is a great defensive 3B and an average offensive 3B.
  • That same .805 career OPS would have ranked 4th among all qualifying SS last season, just .03 behind Elvis Andrus. We might find out this year that Manny is an elite SS, offensively and defensively. That would increase the likelihood that he will be signed to play SS (where he wants to play) and improve his chances of one day making it into the HOF. 

Ass - uming he plays ss well, would he balk at playing third again for the Yankees?  If so, and Yanks prefer Didi or Gleyber at ss, he MAY not go to the Yanks.  Is that a positive?  ;-)

Good summary nonetheless.  I like it when you're "positive"! 

7 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

RE: trying to "up" his trade value, it's no secret that he can play SS.  I don't think there's anything Manny can do at SS that'd make him more valuable than he already is.

Just naming him SS ups his trade value. Pre-Season. Without another game played there. 

Archived