The Rotation

weams

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

You make several valid points.

But teams do not move because they haven't won a WS.

They move, because the stadium sucks and/or they dont have fan support.

While you are correct, they have not hosted a WS game at OPCY, you have to keep in mind, only 2 teams a year get that opportunity.

OPCY has hosted 3 ALCS series and thrown in the ALDS. This team has real chances to knock on that WS door, and it didn't work out. Thats baseball.

The Cubs hadnt won in 99 years, but you didnt see talk of them moving away, because they hadn't won the WS.

And as far as moving franchises to a better location, St. Pete may lose the TBR!  (Hijack thread alert!)

Sign Lance Lynn 4/68

Sign Alex Cobb 4/64

Trade Darren O'Day to New York Mets for Matt Harvey

Trade Mark Trumbo for utility infielder/middle reliever.

Sign Carlos Gonzalez for 1/13

Salary at $127 million right now.  Goes up to about $160 million.

Sisco/Joseph/Wynn

Davis

Schoop

Beckham

Machado

Mancini

Jones

Hays

Gonzalez

Rickard/Gentry

infield utility

Cobb

Lynn

Gausman

Bundy

Harvey

Britton (after midMay)

Brach

Givens

Castro

Bleier

2 of Cortes/Hart/Wright

At break we decide if we go for Wild Card or trade Machado, Jones and Britton.  We can always resign Jones at a friendlier deal and trade Machado for whatever we the best prospects we can get.  It doesn't have to be two ML ready pitchers if we have Cobb, Lynn, Gausman, Bundy and H.Harvey & Hall potentially close behind.

11 minutes ago, NJOriolesFan said:

Sign Lance Lynn 4/68

Sign Alex Cobb 4/64

Sisco/Joseph/Wynn

Davis

Schoop

Beckham

Machado

Mancini

Jones

Hays

Gonzalez

Rickard/Gentry

infield utility

Cobb

Lynn

Gausman

Bundy

Harvey

Britton (after midMay)

Brach

Givens

Castro

Bleier

2 of Cortes/Hart/Wright

At break we decide if we go for Wild Card or trade Machado, Jones and Britton.  We can always resign Jones at a friendlier deal and trade Machado for whatever we the best prospects we can get.  It doesn't have to be two ML ready pitchers if we have Cobb, Lynn, Gausman, Bundy and H.Harvey & Hall potentially close behind.

I was with you til CarGo, his numbers are a Coors field illusion at this point. He had a .606 OPS on the road.  His defensive is poor and he's only getting older. Dyson or Jay would be a much better fit if you want to add an outfielder and would both cost less than 13 million AAV.

Edit: And the Orioles would have to pay some to move Trumbo at this point.

46 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I was with you til CarGo, his numbers are a Coors field illusion at this point. He had a .606 OPS on the road.  His defensive is poor and he's only getting older. Dyson or Jay would be a much better fit if you want to add an outfielder and would both cost less than 13 million AAV.

Me too. Or just trade everyone. I'm up for either. 

1 hour ago, NJOriolesFan said:

Sign Lance Lynn 4/68

Sign Alex Cobb 4/64

Sisco/Joseph/Wynn

Davis

Schoop

Beckham

Machado

Mancini

Jones

Hays

Gonzalez

Rickard/Gentry

infield utility

Cobb

Lynn

Gausman

Bundy

Harvey

Britton (after midMay)

Brach

Givens

Castro

Bleier

2 of Cortes/Hart/Wright

Yeah, baby!

On 2/8/2018 at 9:02 AM, Moose Milligan said:

It'll be nice to have those guys out of the rotation.

But let's be honest here, this is the ownership and front office that got those guys here in the first place.

There's nothing to suggest that they're capable of finding better replacements.

Over time the errors and mistakes pile up and put us in a hole.  The hole gets deeper and problems compound over time.  Management has done a relatively fair job at addressing the gaping holes and piecing together a team that can get it done but as we are seeing this off season the holes are just too big and far too often folks forget that it was these same people who made these mistakes and put us in the hole in the first place.  We need free-thinking management with the freedom to act in a major way as we need to undue years of mistakes and neglect.  DD could work wonders this off season and it wont undue the years of not bringing in talent and not locking up our own (not to mention over spending on aging and waning talent).  

2 hours ago, NJOriolesFan said:

Sign Lance Lynn 4/68

Sign Alex Cobb 4/64

Sisco/Joseph/Wynn

Davis

Schoop

Beckham

Machado

Mancini

Jones

Hays

Gonzalez

Rickard/Gentry

infield utility

Cobb

Lynn

Gausman

Bundy

Harvey

Britton (after midMay)

Brach

Givens

Castro

Bleier

2 of Cortes/Hart/Wright

I wish they'd sign Lynn and Cobb. 

35 minutes ago, MikeAD said:

Over time the errors and mistakes pile up and put us in a hole.  The hole gets deeper and problems compound over time.  Management has done a relatively fair job at addressing the gaping holes and piecing together a team that can get it done but as we are seeing this off season the holes are just too big and far too often folks forget that it was these same people who made these mistakes and put us in the hole in the first place.  We need free-thinking management with the freedom to act in a major way as we need to undue years of mistakes and neglect.  DD could work wonders this off season and it wont undue the years of not bringing in talent and not locking up our own (not to mention over spending on aging and waning talent).  

http://www.orioleshangout.com/2018/02/08/hhp-2012-team/

36 minutes ago, MikeAD said:

DD could work wonders this off season and it wont undue the years of not bringing in talent and not locking up our own (not to mention over spending on aging and waning talent).  

Yeah. Not my take on this. 

3 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

You make several valid points.

But teams do not move because they haven't won a WS.

They move, because the stadium sucks and/or they dont have fan support.

While you are correct, they have not hosted a WS game at OPCY, you have to keep in mind, only 2 teams a year get that opportunity.

OPCY has hosted 3 ALCS series and thrown in the ALDS. This team has real chances to knock on that WS door, and it didn't work out. Thats baseball.

The Cubs hadnt won in 99 years, but you didnt see talk of them moving away, because they hadn't won the WS.

I agree 100%.  I don't think the Orioles will move.  I just think that dismissing the possibility as a joke is unwise.  And responding to a post that said so.  The Orioles are a treasure, but the roots of that treasure run through Memorial Stadium and 33rd Street.  And no, teams do not leave for lack of WS...but with them...well they just seem harder to move.  That's why I said I would rather see a few banners on top of the warehouse.  And finally, Baltimore is not New York or Chicago or Philly for that matter.  And history here simply doesn't support the idea that a team cannot be moved.  

1 minute ago, foxfield said:

I agree 100%.  I don't think the Orioles will move.  I just think that dismissing the possibility as a joke is unwise.  And responding to a post that said so.  The Orioles are a treasure, but the roots of that treasure run through Memorial Stadium and 33rd Street.  And no, teams do not leave for lack of WS...but with them...well they just seem harder to move.  That's why I said I would rather see a few banners on top of the warehouse.  And finally, Baltimore is not New York or Chicago or Philly for that matter.  And history here simply doesn't support the idea that a team cannot be moved.  

Ok, point taken.

Not a joke, but to me, I think the odds are extremely low that this will happen.

2 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

While you may be right and I like the idea of Dyson and his outfield defense, there are a few things about CarGo worth remembering.  Last year was a down year.  The previous three years he played to about .730 on the Road.  Also remember Camden Yards is not your typical ballpark as compared to his road ballparks he had played in last year or prior three years.  Also three of his road ballparks for close to 30 games per year are Dodgers Stadium, AT&T Park and Petco (3 of the toughest stadiums to play in).  Camden Yards and the AL East parks would play well for him and he would be about .780 or higher.  I would pick his range as anywhere from .750 to .850 overall.  His defense is better than Trumbo although that does not say much.  

That said Dyson may be better because of his defense and the price of his contract which would offset what we have to pay for a Trumbo dump.  And I've always like Dyson even though he is not a HUGE difference maker.  But it would also put Mancini at DH which could be a good thing.

2 hours ago, foxfield said:

And history here simply doesn't support the idea that a team cannot be moved.  

Hey, maybe after a few seasons  of Camden Yards sitting empty the Pirates will move here and be called the Sparrows!

2 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

Ok, point taken.

Not a joke, but to me, I think the odds are extremely low that this will happen.

Again. Totally depends on who the high bidder might be. And how many people are in the hedge fund that buys them. And how leveraged they are. And how much money they want to squeeze out of their investment.  Heck, they might not even be Orioles fans. 

Archived