PRP a placebo?

weams

CONCLUSIONS: The promising biological rationale, the positive preclinical findings, and the successful early clinical experience of PRP injections are not confirmed by the recent high-level RCTs. Therefore any benefit in terms of pain, function, return to sport, and recurrence using PRP injections for the treatment of acute muscle injuries is not supported. Due to the bias in the studies, the heterogeneity of the findings, and the limited sample size, the evidence should be considered to be of low or very low quality.”

1 hour ago, weams said:

CONCLUSIONS: The promising biological rationale, the positive preclinical findings, and the successful early clinical experience of PRP injections are not confirmed by the recent high-level RCTs. Therefore any benefit in terms of pain, function, return to sport, and recurrence using PRP injections for the treatment of acute muscle injuries is not supported. Due to the bias in the studies, the heterogeneity of the findings, and the limited sample size, the evidence should be considered to be of low or very low quality.”

Quite right.  There have been 6 total studies of PRP with 374 patients but only 2 of those studies were double blinded and thus there is very small scientific high grade evidence of efficacy.  But this doesn’t mean at all that it cannot be helpful to individual cases and it is certainly much less invasive than surgery and it generally is low risk to try.   What is needed are more double blind studies and a larger number of clinical reports of efficacy. 

1 hour ago, tntoriole said:

Quite right.  There have been 6 total studies of PRP with 374 patients but only 2 of those studies were double blinded and thus there is very small scientific high grade evidence of efficacy.  But this doesn’t mean at all that it cannot be helpful to individual cases and it is certainly much less invasive than surgery and it generally is low risk to try.   What is needed are more double blind studies and a larger number of clinical reports of efficacy. 

I did my own research on this when I had really bad tennis elbow.   Seemed like just a way to get people to think you are doing something.  Players also told to rest when they get PRP.   That is probably what helps in the rare case it does anything. 

Also there is risk of infection with PRP.   

Probably a lot of guys who get Tommy John surgery would show improvement with a year of rest.  

6 hours ago, cimota said:

I did my own research on this when I had really bad tennis elbow.   Seemed like just a way to get people to think you are doing something.  Players also told to rest when they get PRP.   That is probably what helps in the rare case it does anything. 

Also there is risk of infection with PRP.   

Probably a lot of guys who get Tommy John surgery would show improvement with a year of rest.  

And the appropriate strengthening regimen when the time is right. 

Archived