Britton: Most haven't even been approached to come back, don't know where the org. sees itself next year

interloper

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, weams said:

See this is a neat question the poster asks. I am uncertain that those are all of the answers that are possible for it though. I think it may be a case of leading by multiple choices here.

I suspect some of this is because the team is a poorly run organization. Some because of internal dysfunction and probably a lot because the well is appearing to be in it's drying phase. I think it is complicated and ownership needs to take their lumps as well as the management staff, and the geopolitical economic influences. That's why I believe. 

I think it's 85-90% ownership. What makes me lean that way is that while the names change within the organization, GM's or Front Office personnel (The Duquette brothers, Andy etc), Coaches and Managers (too many to post), we see more or less than same routine played out year after year. The only commonality that could tie it all together is ownership.

In all sports there always seem to be owners who seemingly do not understand how to build organizations and teams that consistently perform (aka win).  Is PA similar in this lack of understanding to people like, Ted Stepien (Cleveland Cavs owner who traded away about 10 years worth on #1 picks for terrible players), or Donald Sterling (his bigotry not withstanding), or the elder Bidwell (St. Louis and AZ Cardinals), or Danny Snyder or countless others who for the most part  languish (although many of these teams will have brief upticks in performance) because they just don't get it?  

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

I think Angelo's gave DD marching orders to "compete" this year.  But he also gave financial constraints that so far have prevented the Orioles from competing in the free agent market.  And he reluctantly approved the possibility of dealing Manny but only if we could get pitching that would help us this year and DD was unable to pull that off.

As to the future, either DD has not engaged in that because he's a lame duck, or else he took concerns about an extension for Schoop, Jones, Gausman, etc, and Angelo's said you just worry about 2018, I'll let Brady deal with 2019 and beyond when he takes over.

Hope DD is a lame duck but I sure don't want Brady taking the GM spot.

2 hours ago, TheDeau52 said:

On the plus side, they've freed me up from purchasing MLB tv this year. Iffy streams will be good enough for me in 2018. Thanks, Peter!  

Me too!  When canceling MLB emails, alerts, or your renewal on MLB.tv there is an option to why: team performance or something like that.  Its been a useful added category, 

Seems crazy that they haven't even talked to these guys.  Britton certainly deserves at least a discussion even if they don't want him back - and I don't even think they should re-sign him.  But sheesh - show the man some respect - he's earned it.  

13 minutes ago, birdwatcher55 said:

I think we are all-in on 2018 and for those who don't think we have a s**t chance I point to the 2017 Twins. It's called baseball and anything can happen and usually does. I'm excited about the young talent knocking on the door and if we fall out of it by 7/31 we will be adding more for 2019 and beyond. I like our offense and hope one of our young rookies can emerge and bump up the on base percentage. That would really help. Let's give some of the young arms a chance. They can't be worse than what we trotted out last year.

I actually do want to see as many young arms as makes sense because... the O's have very little chance of reaching the post-season.  I want to see them use the Rule 5 guys rather than used up old veterans.  When you say all-in on 2018, to me that means paying some high-priced veteran free agents to fill out the rotation - and I don't want to do that.  

If the sons don't have substantially more interest/competence, I certainly hope there is a sale coming.  On the surface, I'd take Cuban.

What I think now, is what I've always thought... we just have a bad owner and his failures flow downhill.  I certainly want to believe there's a structured plan, that DD and others really are very bright, and that we as fans simply aren't made aware of the inner workings.  There's so much smoke suggesting otherwise though.  I think it really is just a huge damn mess with no direction, as it appears from the outside.  I've felt that for so long it has negatively affected my fan status.

Maybe that's bee

18 minutes ago, MikeAD said:

Me too!  When canceling MLB emails, alerts, or your renewal on MLB.tv there is an option to why: team performance or something like that.  Its been a useful added category, 

Maybe that's been PA's strategy all along. He cares so much about us, that he wants to help us save money. What a guy.

Archived